6 Year old Modem dead...Suggest Alternate

BSNL provided me with crap modems.
3 Modems got screwed, with the last modem getting conked within 2 weeks of purchase. For warranty they said I need to ship it to some company in Hyderabad.
Nowadays BSNL doesnt provide modem. they ask you to buy your own modem.

So i finally went and bought ASUS DSL-N10E.
It looks very good and costed me 2100Rs and has 3 year warranty which is good for a modem, unlike the BSNL modem which costed me 2200rs and had only 1 year warranty.

So i finally went and bought ASUS DSL-N10E.
It looks very good and costed me 2100Rs and has 3 year warranty which is good for a modem, unlike the BSNL modem which costed me 2200rs and had only 1 year warranty.
How is the wifi range of the N10E compared to the 3 BSNL adsl/wifi units ?

How is the wifi range of the N10E compared to the 3 BSNL adsl/wifi units ?
N10E is 5dBi antena. Do check the dBi rating before you buy your modem, as some other brands have 3dBi.
On my top floor i dont get internet access.
But one the same floor which is 1000Sq Ft, where the modem is installed, i get good wifi signal. I feel its better than BSNL modems.

N10E is 5dBi antena. Do check the dBi rating before you buy your modem, as some other brands have 3dBi.
That's just a 2dB gain which is very small. The likely improvement is in the amps used in the two products. Asus has better ones. Better sensitivity etc.

On my top floor i dont get internet access.
Orientation of the antenna determines whether you get more horizontal vice vertical coverage.

The antenna positioned vertically will give you the best horizontal coverage.

Positioning it horizontally will give more vertical but less horizontal coverage.

Positioning it at 45 degrees will give you a compromise.

Does the N10's antenna pivot ?

But one the same floor which is 1000Sq Ft, where the modem is installed, i get good wifi signal. I feel its better than BSNL modems.
Better amps in the asus. Should not be too difficult to beat a generic non-branded model like the ones BSNL hands out or used to hand out.

Here's a guide to make a diy parabolic reflector. The gain received was just 3dBi. For reference you can lose anywhere from 5-10dB just traversing ONE wall.

The catch is...if you cannot receive a signal in an area you will do so now, within reason.

But if you could already receive a signal it will not be noticeably faster. Marginal at best.

Just getting a better signal means nothing, what you can do with it or whether you can do things faster is what matters.

Using boosters like this increase the signal but they also increase the NOISE present in the signal. This is why there will not be much improvement to clients that already receive the signal. Basically the SNR of the received signal remains unchanged for them.

The only way to get better throughput is better quality amps which have a higher SNR than cheaper amps. Course there is a limit which is on the client end. if its not a very good receiver then it won't do more.

Back