6 Year old Modem dead...Suggest Alternate

vercetti

Skilled
So, My Modem was behaving oddly from last couple of days (frequent disconnections, etc).
I started fiddling with it today and made it conk off permanently.

Now, I need to buy a new modem to support my ASUS SR N13 B1.

I am ok with a modem+router as well with the constraint that I should be able to use the ASUS for 24*7 downloading and as a repeater:)

My budget is from 800-2000 bucks for the modem.

Kindly pour in ur suggestions...I can live without food for a week not without internet I will die in a day:)

Please tell us which modem you used that has lasted for 6 years !!!!

I don't think i can suggest anything that can compete with that.

UTStarcom UT 300R2.

I don't care about the term of the life now but the quality of the life i.e. I want a good performing MODEM
6 years is very good but you're implying it did not perform well in that time.

If you run a modem 24x7x365, its life will be 1-2 years. From that one can conclude you only used the previous modem for not more than 8hrs per day.

I am ok with a modem+router as well with the constraint that I should be able to use the ASUS for 24*7 downloading and as a repeater:)
I use the DSL-2502U modem, just gone past a year, expect it to die in a few months. This is why modem seperate from router is best. Modems can and will die but the wifi router need not be dead.

Modems don't do repeating. If you want repeating you need a wifi router as well. Bascially what you are asking for is a modem+router+wifi combo whose signal your N13 will repeat to dead zones that the former cannot reach.

My budget is from 800-2000 bucks for the modem.
There are cheap beetel & dlink models that do these. I don't know of any but ISP's seem to be dishing them out for free.

Can't you get one off your ISP ?

I used it for 24*7 for past 4 years...not even 1 minute of downtime:) My rig is connected to a UPS and this never shuts down...even when I am out of town
Can't get from ISP as this was not bought from them.

@blr_p
I am planning on getting the below:
http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-td-...=t_4&otracker=from-search&query=TP-Link ADSL2

6 years is very good but you're implying it did not perform well in that time.

If you run a modem 24x7x365, its life will be 1-2 years. From that one can conclude you only used the previous modem for not more than 8hrs per day.

Can't you get one off your ISP ?

I used it for 24*7 for past 4 years...not even 1 minute of downtime:) My rig is connected to a UPS and this never shuts down...even when I am out of town
Can't get from ISP as this was not bought from them.
Lol, in that case maybe I should get this model for my next modem :D

All the models i had were on a UPS and none lasted beyond two years.

Why don't you get the same one again ? Clearly it worked well. What quality are you looking for anyway. The modem works in a bridge mode, you use nothing of its features other than converting telephone signals into a format the wifi router can understand. You don't need any routing ability in the modem.

Why go with something you don't know instead of the old tried & tested.

The tp-link has no wifi in it, i got confused when you said 'repeating' ?

I use the DSL-2502U modem
I think the model is 2520. Should be good since it uses a Broadcom chipset, which are supposed to be quite stable with long distances from the exchange. The TP-Links all use Trendchip.

ISPs have stopped giving modems/replacing them for free.

cauz its no longer available.
The link I gave had good reviews so got it.
My requirements are for a modem only but I don't mind getting a modem+router as well:)
Why go with something you don't know instead of the old tried & tested.

The tp-link has no wifi in it, i got confused when you said 'repeating' ?

Do u reckon I should buy the below?
I heard good reviews for the TP Link so got it.
Our apartment does experience bad internet speeds and ping rates. Although we have a small BSNL station situated on the ground floor having all the big BSNL machines in it.
I think the model is 2520. Should be good since it uses a Broadcom chipset, which are supposed to be quite stable with long distances from the exchange. The TP-Links all use Trendchip.

If the exchange is just below then you shouldn't have issues with line stability. Either one should be fine. The speeds/pings would most likely be the BSNL servers, unless you notice issues with the SNR of your DSL link (can be checked in your modem's control panel).

Correct, that was a typo on my part. DSL-2520U

Flip a coin, the price differential is Rs.100 between the two.

Ineresting, airtel stopped them last year, until then they replaced them for me regularly every 1.5 years like clockwork with an even cheaper model. Started with d-links then 220x's then 110's and then they gave up.

Did not make any difference. You'd see the modem unable to hold a connection for more than 15 minutes and then went through their menus for 'modem not working' and got it replaced.[DOUBLEPOST=1365355600][/DOUBLEPOST]
If the exchange is just below then you shouldn't have issues with line stability. Either one should be fine. The speeds/pings would most likely be the BSNL servers, unless you notice issues with the SNR of your DSL link (can be checked in your modem's control panel).
Heh yeah, cannot have such problems when you live ontop of a DSLAM.

Unlike the rest of us he will be first in line to get 20mbs ADSL2+ speeds whenever it becomes affordable.

I cannot even use the ADSL part let alone ADSL2 or plus. Its just G.dmt but its reliable.

Having a exchange below is more of a gimmick....I get even lower speeds than in my old home.

I have a 512KBPS connection but i get less than 55KBPS compared to 70KBPS at my older home. and ping rates are horrible.
They have started the FTTH connection (fibre optics) but the rate is 10k+ for limited bandwidth:(

Unlike the rest of us he will be first in line to get 20mbs ADSL2+ speeds whenever it becomes affordable.

I cannot even use the ADSL part let alone ADSL2 or plus. Its just G.dmt but its reliable.

Having a exchange below is more of a gimmick....I get even lower speeds than in my old home.

I have a 512KBPS connection but i get less than 55KBPS compared to 70KBPS at my older home. and ping rates are horrible.
Ping rates are irrelevant.

The exchange in your building is on an optical trunk and then its rj-11 upto your house. IOW a very short run.

You should get the most stable connection and even the cheapest modem will work. Your uptime to the exchange will be very good. And that is why you got such long life with your previous modem. These electronics lose their sensitivity and therefore ability to hold onto a signal (sync) over time. It just takes longer for you than for me. There is no difference quality wise as should be the case given the similar cost between the starcom or the d-link.

Basically you can pick whatever modem you want, it will work very well and last twice as long compared to those living further away from the exchange.

In future, recommend you go for the cheapest possible CRAP modem just because you can get away with it :D

Why your speeds are lower than the other place is a mystery, bad cabling in the building maybe though i think this is unlikely. Overloaded switch ?

Can u suggest me a cheap crap?
Also, I think its a overloaded Switch issue...I made a complaint to BSNL yesterday.
In future, recommend you go for the cheapest possible CRAP modem just because you can get away with it :D

Why your speeds are lower than the other place is a mystery, bad cabling in the building maybe though i think this is unlikely. Overloaded switch ?

Just go with the lowest price. Modem only. Any model.

Never realised that modem lifetime is directly related to how far away one was from the exchange :)

Mine is 6 years old too! I should start praying.. :p Thanks to BSNL. They provided us way better modem than Airtel's beetel(or dLink) crap.

^ Good to hear that. :) But all of my airtel friends got their modem replaced in 1-2 years. Same with dlink. High failure rate.

BSNL modems are good. But the technicians configuring the Modem will be a big comedy.
I accept the Modems provided by BSNL lasted for years. But once i got a modem as a replacement when the old one was dead, the refurbished Modem showed its true colors. Not able to connect WIFI and Ethernet at the same time.
Recently bought a second hand modem which is also a BSNL modem, is doing a great job.

StarCom3004G(I guess).. Best for Modem and WIFI router.

Back