Graphic Cards 2nd Price Cut gets Effective GTX 280/260 -$449/299!

LOL who cares, end user is happy, thats only what matters. This is lottery for US people, each game cost 50$ in US. :)

Muzu, its business buddy, they use all weapons, no1 will give U best bang for buck without competition inc UR ATI. people thanked AMD Athlon 64's to wake up sleeping giant Intel, which resulted in C2D. and now no is giving credit to nVidia G80 :rofl: , It ruled for more than 2yrs. ;)

We r going offtopic anyways. :p

muzux2 said:
XFX didnt sell enough 9800GTX, what they are doing now is including 9800GTX games in GTX 260, since 9800GTX is now dirt cheap to include any bundle.. What a way to compete with 4870.. Wah wah.
:mad::

sudarshan2884 said:
HD 4870 beats GTX 260 agreed .............no question about that...

BUT how the heck that 4850CF beats GTX280 :S

well in many of games 4850CF fails to kick its second card in game..that why CF fails with CRYSIS .

no point going for HD4850CF than GTX280 .

well see 4870 .....its a real power eater ....needs very much power & power requrement has always been issue with ATI cards.....

I suggest you visit this link

Radeon HD 4850 and 4870 CrossfireX performance test

An excerpt from the guru3d review conclusion

The soft-spot money wise are two cards setup in Crossfire. Especially two 4850's kick in as massive value, as for under 400 USD you get to play around with performance better than a GeForce GTX 280, so that's just real value in your pocket

No kidding it is sick how much performance these cards combined can push, the 2-way GPU scaling is just really superb. Crossfire with two series 4800 cards definitely makes more sense than NVIDIA's high-end SLI money wise.

So driver quirks aside, in the NVIDIA SLI review I used Pamela Anderson's boobs as anecdote for SLI (big and expensive, yet a nice pair). For the ATI Series 4800 series I have to refine my choice in women even a little better, yep .. series 4800 Crossfire might be the Jessica Alba in your PC man ... downright sexy. Crossfire seems to scale really well and money wise, this starts to make some real good sense as an upgrade.

Always buy the better performing card in the same price range. Forget about the bundles. You are going to use the hardware to play the games. In long run, if you plan to buy all original games, the cost of games will exceed the hardware anyway, but if you settle for inferior hardware because of the bundled games, then I am sorry to say but you are screwing yourself.

Good now, enable SLI that with ur 9800GTX lets see; :p

Had u been with ATI and had a 4850 + a CF compatible board, u could've gone for the 4870 which'd eventually be priced cheaper in a month; :bleh:

Who cares abt bundles as Funky said; as long as u get the original stuff, u'd beat the value of the card ultimately the more u stack the games; :p

That doesn't mean u need to resort to piracy either; :p

gannu said:
Good now SLI that with ur 9800GTX lets see; :p

Had u been with ATI and had a 4850 + a CF compatible board, u could've gone for the 4870 which'd eventually be priced cheaper in a month; :bleh:

Who cares abt bundles as Funky said; as long as u get the original stuff, u'd beat the value of the card ultimately the more u stack the games; :p

That doesn't mean u need to resort to piracy either; :p

which 9800GTX u talking about :bleh: :rofl:
i sold mine yesterday :cool2:
and ordered GTX 260 today already :bleh: :eek:hyeah:

roboghost said:
which 9800GTX u talking about :bleh: :rofl:
i sold mine yesterday :cool2:
and ordered GTX 260 today already :bleh: :eek:hyeah:

Congrats in advance; :p

Lets see some first hand nos. when its here; ;)

I believe u'd be the first to lay hands on the GTX260; :p

BTW... I will give you guys a little birde about the 9800GTX+... It will launch at 12K Indian Price in a weeks time ;)... So watch out already...

My suggestion to everybody... Hold on to your money for another week... 4870 will come down to $270 sooner then later...

Wows!!!

That'll surely give the 4850 a run for its money considering the excessive heat generation!! :)

I'm sure u'd have got that info from a distri nearby; :p

BTW even the 9800GTX+ aint for u Switch!!! It'd be hard to drive a 24incher AFAIK;

morgoth said:
lol... Worst game to test cards coz with Crysis you never know where is bottleneck. IMHO, the game is just horribly coded. Didn't a few weeks ago, CRYTEK exec said that they can improve Crysis performance for a lot of GFX cards but it requires some serious recoding. They said they will take take the necessary steps with Crysis: Warhead.

Now as for Crysis quirks, see this:

Checkout the FPS count for 4870X2 and 4870CF at 1680X1050 and 1920X1200. At lower res the cards have slightly lower FPS count :p

Also see the FPS count on 9800GTX SLI and compare it with 9800GX2 (2X8800GTS) across three resolutions.

The scaling for all cards is very uneven... you can't pinpoint a bottleneck with this scenario. do you?

I have no idea where you got to know that crysis is horribly coded, its not have you played crysis?? , no game come's close to it in terms of graphics people at crytek have always said that the game is ahead of its times and that the game would take time to get maxxed out and that increases the longevity of the game!

Anandtech does not overclock their system's processor and 2 cards together are cpu bottlenecked, if you have to look for performance look at the single card results, btw looking for CF/SLI results on a review site to judge single card performance isn't a great idea dude lol. :rofl:

Also 9800gx2 is clocked at 600mhz/2000mhz way lower than the 2 9800GTX+ @ 738mhz/2200mhz, they are not vanilla 9800gtx's either btw, Also 2 cards in sli perform better than 2 cards sandwiched together with lower clocks!

Now for crysis performance look here

1214363351CrDBh6XGXC_4_2_l.gif

from here

[H] Enthusiast - AMD Radeon HD 4800 Series

Hardocp overclocks their processor to 3.66ghz for their benchmarks.

Also check out guru3d results

Radeon HD 4870 review - ASUS

look at the last graph and you will notice that the 260 catches up with the 4870 at 25x16, what does it tell you? the 260 was bottlenecked at lower resolution and in pure power its as fast as the 4870 if not faster!

Also always notice the minimum fps all 200 series card results usually have higher minimum fps then 4000 series making the gameplay much more smoother and playable. You will never notice difference in game play with higher maximum fps i.e. between 60 and 80 fps but between higher minimum - 11 and 18fps!

How I judge performance of a card is looking at the highest resolutions ideally 25x16 with aa/af, cause I know that at lower resolutions cards will be bottlenecked and I will always overclock my system substantially, so the numbers at lower resolutions for me will be pretty high from the reviews.

i_max2k2 said:
I have no idea where you got to know that crysis is horribly coded, its not have you played crysis?? , no game come's close to it in terms of graphics people at crytek have always said that the game is ahead of its times and that the game would take time to get maxxed out and that increases the longevity of the game!

So true.

ppl cannot expect a bugati to give 35mpg ..dats jus not gonna happen :bleh:

i_max2k2 said:

Anandtech does not overclock their system's processor and 2 cards together are cpu bottlenecked, if you have to look for performance look at the single card results, btw looking for CF/SLI results on a review site to judge single card performance isn't a great idea dude lol. :rofl:

Also 9800gx2 is clocked at 600mhz/2000mhz way lower than the 2 9800GTX+ @ 738mhz/2200mhz, they are not vanilla 9800gtx's either btw, Also 2 cards in sli perform better than 2 cards sandwiched together with lower clocks!

Now for crysis performance look here

1214363351CrDBh6XGXC_4_2_l.gif

from here

[H] Enthusiast - AMD Radeon HD 4800 Series

Hardocp overclocks their processor to 3.66ghz for their benchmarks.

Also check out guru3d results

Radeon HD 4870 review - ASUS

look at the last graph and you will notice that the 260 catches up with the 4870 at 25x16, what does it tell you? the 260 was bottlenecked at lower resolution and in pure power its as fast as the 4870 if not faster!

Also always notice the minimum fps all 200 series card results usually have higher minimum fps then 4000 series making the gameplay much more smoother and playable. You will never notice difference in game play with higher maximum fps i.e. between 60 and 80 fps but between higher minimum - 11 and 18fps!

How I judge performance of a card is looking at the highest resolutions ideally 25x16 with aa/af, cause I know that at lower resolutions cards will be bottlenecked and I will always overclock my system substantially, so the numbers at lower resolutions for me will be pretty high from the reviews.

If you care to look in Gaming section, you will come know that I had played Crysis and had posted about a few bugs that I encountered during gameplay.

In any case, here I am not talking about the cards. I am saying that Crysis is a bad benchmark. It's as bad as 3D Mark 06 if you want to compare actual performance and strengths and weaknesses of a card.

Yes Crysis looks awesome and all but so does CoD4. There are more destructible elements in Crysis and there is lot more texture and stuff but still does it really justify the difference between hardware requirements of CoD4 and Crysis? Crytek themselves have said that Warhead will look at least similar to Crysis and will have lower system requirements. Is it not enough proof that there are problems the way crysis is coded.

Now our posts are getting longer and longer and soon we are going to enters the 'big yawn'. Before that happens let me give you an example how absurd Crysis is as a benchmark and how flimsy is your 'CPU bottleneck and Crysis' theory:

In March, Anandtech tested 9800GX2 SLI to look for system bottlenecks. The test was performed on a Skulltrail platform. For Crysis AnandTech people found this:

This indicates that the higher the graphical quality, the MORE CPU bound we are. Crazy isn’t it? It's counter-intuitive, but pure fact.

AnandTech: Quad SLI with 9800 GX2: Pushing a System to its Limit

morgoth said:
If you care to look in Gaming section, you will come know that I had played Crysis and had posted about a few bugs that I encountered during gameplay.

In any case, here I am not talking about the cards. I am saying that Crysis is a bad benchmark. It's as bad as 3D Mark 06 if you want to compare actual performance and strengths and weaknesses of a card.

Yes Crysis looks awesome and all but so does CoD4. There are more destructible elements in Crysis and there is lot more texture and stuff but still does it really justify the difference between hardware requirements of CoD4 and Crysis? Crytek themselves have said that Warhead will look at least similar to Crysis and will have lower system requirements. Is it not enough proof that there are problems the way crysis is coded.

Now our posts are getting longer and longer and soon we are going to enters the 'big yawn'. Before that happens let me give you an example how absurd Crysis is as a benchmark and how flimsy is your 'CPU bottleneck and Crysis' theory:

In March, Anandtech tested 9800GX2 SLI to look for system bottlenecks. The test was performed on a Skulltrail platform. For Crysis AnandTech people found this:

AnandTech: Quad SLI with 9800 GX2: Pushing a System to its Limit

COD 4 is a port to start with, and the graphics in cod4 are not even near to what crysis offers, if you want I'll be glad to post the differences.

I cant really agree that Crysis is badly coded, Warhead will come out at least a year after crysis came out, if we talk about optimizations, look at ps2 games when they come out way back at ps2's launch and look at the games that come out now, you will notice a big difference in graphics quality. With time developers are able to optimize games with hardware, thats been a trend and will be so. So just in case we set a team of 10 people and ask them to optimize crysis maybe after 10 years they would have optimized it so much that probably a 8600gt would be able to play it on v.high settings. But then the point is would you wait 10years to play crysis?

Every developer sets out a time to launch a game, after a period of development and during it as well, the game's optimized as much as it can be with the current hardware. This gets limited with the games launch date. So yes games can only get as much optimized.

To me crysis is the only one in the current crop of games that can stress the current hardware. If Crysis looked like COD4 and still gave out fps as much as it gives right now I would have been with you and totally agreed but its not so the difference in graphics is for people to look at.

FEAR, DOOM 3, Oblivion are all examples of such games that were ahead of their time at lauch and only hardware at a later point was able to max them out. That dint mean that the games were poorly coded.

Comparing Crysis with 3dmark 06 is BS! and I cant believe your saying this after posting so much about crysis warhead in the games section. :huh:

Also taking information from benchmarks coming out from Skulltrail and quad sli which we all know works wonder as is! Cant blame you.

i_max2k2 said:
Comparing Crysis with 3dmark 06 is BS! and I cant believe your saying this after posting so much about crysis warhead in the games section. :huh:

Also taking information from benchmarks coming out from Skulltrail and quad sli which we all know works wonder as is! Cant blame you.

Debates rarely end my dear. I won't agree with you and I have told you why. I know, you won't agree with me and you have definitely told me why.

Let's make peace and give a two cheers to the ATI and Nvidias they tear into each other

I don't make a gfx card and I believe neither you... we are all consumers and we win with this war

Cheers!

morgoth said:

Good Point. Crysis(or numbers for that matter) are a bad way to judge. Cards arent important,numbers arent important, gaming is. If you get the fun and excitement out of it ,its good and if you dont then its not.

Every other month new products come,prior ones suddenly become obselete and their owners feel stupid wasting huge bucks behind stuff thats gone old.

I see people crazy behind numbers.Crysis is just another game, I find nothing special with it. Why does everyone needs to see if his system can run that game at 60 fps ? Just because no one else can ? Silly games with lots of heavy textures and crappy engines get the fame because nobody can play it without having the most monstrous system. :mad:How does it matter whether the game has superb raytracing or not----all one needs is great gameplay.

And in the best situation are the chip-makers ; people who used to buy stuff once in two years now do that twice a year just to get the god-forsaken game running at its best and show the world what a marvellous system they own.

Anyways, to each his own. Support what you got, buy what you like.:S

morgoth said:
Debates rarely end my dear. I won't agree with you and I have told you why. I know, you won't agree with me and you have definitely told me why.

Let's make peace and give a two cheers to the ATI and Nvidias they tear into each other

I don't make a gfx card and I believe neither you... we are all consumers and we win with this war

Cheers!

Cheers bud, to peace and price drops :p

Switch said:
BTW... I will give you guys a little birde about the 9800GTX+... It will launch at 12K Indian Price in a weeks time ;)... So watch out already...

My suggestion to everybody... Hold on to your money for another week... 4870 will come down to $270 sooner then later...

I hope this is true but it does not look like it.
I am yet to contact any other distri but a press release from Rashi just dropped into my email. and uh oh!!!!

uh%20oh.jpg

Funky said:
I hope this is true but it does not look like it.

I am yet to contact any other distri but a press release from Rashi just dropped into my email. and uh oh!!!!

looks to me like rashi wants to bury itself under a pile of unsold 98gtx+'s....

they will NEVER be able to sell at this rate. and i really pity those numbskulls who would actually purchase this card at a price like this.

Back