Graphic Cards 2nd Price Cut gets Effective GTX 280/260 -$449/299!

At $299 the HD4870 is the better card than the GTX 260 and for <$400 you can put in two HD 4850 on crossfire ..which will blow the GTX 280(costs $449) into smithereens

The prices are not convincing enough for consumers to NOT buy ATI.

^^^GTX 260 is now available for 300$, this does make the choice a bit harder but still 4870 is certainly faster than the 260 in most of the games....

Wasnt NV looting us at $650 & $400..? Thanks to ATI, NV learned how cards is to be priced in market..:rofl:
With GDDR5, 4870 is luks more attractive than 260, & ofCourse 4870 performs better..:eek:hyeah:

abhisheksahas said:
At $299 the HD4870 is the better card than the GTX 260 and for <$400 you can put in two HD 4850 on crossfire ..which will blow the GTX 280(costs $449) into smithereens

The prices are not convincing enough for consumers to NOT buy ATI.

The 280 is a single card, it doesn't rely on drivers to perform at its maximum it will whatsoever. And 4850CF doesn't really blow the 280 lol, sometimes it gets ahead by a few frames, some times it doesnt and in some games there is a substantial difference.

But again we are talking about crossfire, more power consumption a CF board requirement etc. For a guy with a single slot Pcie 280 appeals more. But the price difference amounts more than the 4870. Which does come close in many games.

Its a mixed bag, I personally think with upcoming games, more memory will shine with bigger/better textures.

Also for some reason ATI cards are not able to scale well on Crysis, to me its the most stressful game right now and the best gauge for a video card, if there were more titles like these, the reviews would have been a different story!

muzux2 said:
Wasnt NV looting us at $650 & $400..? Thanks to ATI, NV learned how cards is to be priced in market..:rofl:

With GDDR5, 4870 is luks more attractive than 260, & ofCourse 4870 performs better..:eek:hyeah:

Bandwidth with GDDR5 + 256bit = Bandwidth with GDDR3 + 498Bit bus.

But your only getting 512Mb as compared to 896mb with the 260, 4870 looses on this point lol! :tongue:

Its not all games but most! I wouldn't say that 260 is a bad deal with the same price as the 4870!

Also theres nvidias hybrid power to be considered. The fact that you can turn of your graphics card when not doing any gaming, and saving 100w or so of power is quite a plus in my book.

i_max2k2 said:

But your only getting 512Mb as compared to 896mb with the 260, 4870 looses on this point lol! :tongue:

Its not all games but most! I wouldn't say that 260 is a bad deal with the same price as the 4870!

You forgot to mention the massive latency issues with DDR5 :p And its a 448 bit bus for the 260 and a 512 for the 280. I agree that the GTX 260 is attractive now. Maybe at 275$ I'd swing with one. Although at 400$ I'd swing the GTX 280 way too...

i_max2k2 said:

specifications doesnt make hell of a difference for the normal bloke like me.....uptill a year ago, ATI had amazing specifications, but they failed in giving better FPS while gaming....Now i guess is turn of Nvidia. Whatever you say 4870 is faster than 260 in almost all the games released yet.

@ imax
Bandwidth is not equal..
3600 x 256/8 = 115.2
2000 x 448/8 = 112
898MB shows its muscle only at 2560x1920 wch will require us 30'' LCD..:bleh:
& yes 4870 performs av. 6% better ovr 260.
Expect sme further boost on 4870 with Catalyst update..:D:

muzux2 said:
@ imax

Bandwidth is not equal..

3600 x 256/8 = 115.2

2000 x 448/8 = 112

898MB shows its muscle only at 2560x1920 wch will require us 30'' LCD..:bleh:

& yes 4870 performs av. 6% better ovr 260.

Expect sme further boost on 4870 with Catalyst update..:D:

Buddy thats nothing, try it out on your card, increase or decrease ur mem clock to reduce 3gps from ur gpuz reading and see the difference it makes on ur fps, It wont be more than 1-2 at max.

Regarding the memory, thats not always the case, try some oblivion texture mods and see the fps dip even on lower resolutions with a older gpu.

Catalyst update hmmm, I guess Nvidia wont update their drivers haan? :p

This architecture will shine with newer games, let Farcry 2 come out and see the results, with all these cards you will be amazed to see crysis like results. Crysis has shown how games will be and the 200 architechture shines there, I have been hearing the catalysts drivers will fix crysis performance for a long time and trust me as soon as this happens I'll shut up and take my words back.

specifications doesnt make hell of a difference for the normal bloke like me.....uptill a year ago, ATI had amazing specifications, but they failed in giving better FPS while gaming....Now i guess is turn of Nvidia. Whatever you say 4870 is faster than 260 in almost all the games released yet.

I agree they dont, but I was only trying to contradict his point. ;)

Btw Evga/Asus/PNY 260, $270 after MIR!!

Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1260-AR GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - ASUS ENGTX260/HTDP/896M GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTX260XPB GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Still the HD 4870 is better than the GTX 260, and HD4850 crossfire is beter than the GTX 280.

In terms of price; performance; features.

And the worst thing about the GT200 series cards is lack of DX 10.1, which all upcoming games will support, so basically you end up with a really expensive hardware and few months down the line you are forced to upgrade to Nvidia's DX 10.1 supporting hardware.

DX 10.1 in Assassins Creed gives better performance than DX 10.

ATI's IQ is better than Nvidia.

48xx series supports UVD.

Its a no brainer at the moment to for ATI.

No offenses, these are purely my views and not intending to humiliate anybody.

@ _pappu_: I agree that maybe Nvidia has some insight on the algorithms or something like that.

Also remember peeps that Nvidia harware also found it difficult to struggle with optimizing their 8xxx architecture for crysis and they couldn't do much until a crysis patch.

And the GT200 series is nothing but a biger G92 based chip.

The 4xxx is a new architecture so these hurdles are bound to present (temporarily).

_pappu_ said:
^^the gt200 architecture shines at crysis because of that huge nvidia logo at the start of the game

i rest my case

^^About this I must say something. Do you even know what GITG and TWIMTBP programs started by ATi and NVIDIA are all about? Its all about garnering developer support, and supporting and working with developers in turn, and working with feedback from the community of developers. To bias a game so that it works improperly under a particular piece of hardware, as opposed to working flawlessly with another piece of equipment isn't the purpose. The main aims being support and feedback and YES - optimisations do occur. But there are exceptions to optimisations also. Remember a superb looking game called Call of Juarez? Don't? Why don't you read up on it first before 'resting' your case?

ATI [still] FTW; :p

nV's price cuts're not convincing enough for the average Joe, least to say;

CF boards or the newer P45 chipset boards're a lot cheaper starting at the 9k mark; I wonder who'd invest in a SLI setup now;

nV can still reduce the prices if they want to catch up with ATI; :|

:eek:hyeah: GTX 260 for 299 $ is good ,they even giving games free with the bundle so 50$ game free with card means the card actually cost lesser at 250$ , i am getting xfx GTX 260 now :bleh: :eek:hyeah: will wait for further price drop and get one more card for SLI in 1 month :)

they even giving games free with the bundle so 50$ game free with card means the card actually cost lesser at 250$

Abs BS I'd say;

Replicating OEM media hardly costs <1$ for them; :bleh:

Yeah rite; as if they're bundling games in Blu-ray discs; crap; :|

abhisheksahas said:
Still the HD 4870 is better than the GTX 260, and HD4850 crossfire is beter than the GTX 280.
In terms of price; performance; features.

And the worst thing about the GT200 series cards is lack of DX 10.1, which all upcoming games will support, so basically you end up with a really expensive hardware and few months down the line you are forced to upgrade to Nvidia's DX 10.1 supporting hardware.
DX 10.1 in Assassins Creed gives better performance than DX 10.

ATI's IQ is better than Nvidia.
48xx series supports UVD.
Its a no brainer at the moment to for ATI.

No offenses, these are purely my views and not intending to humiliate anybody.

@ _pappu_: I agree that maybe Nvidia has some insight on the algorithms or something like that.
Also remember peeps that Nvidia harware also found it difficult to struggle with optimizing their 8xxx architecture for crysis and they couldn't do much until a crysis patch.
And the GT200 series is nothing but a biger G92 based chip.
The 4xxx is a new architecture so these hurdles are bound to present (temporarily).

Okie Lets consider price on newegg, right now the 260 is selling for $270 after MIR, I'm taking us prices cause they will reflect here in some time and the 4870 is for $295.

[H] Enthusiast - AMD Radeon HD 4800 Series

This is HardOCP's conclusion at the time of review the 260 was at $400+ and the 4870 was at $300, the point that its performing closer and sometimes passing the performance of 260 is being pushed, now reconsider the fact that 260 is actually cheaper and 4870 is able to "compete" with 260.

Power consumptions of the 4000 series is not as good as compared with the 200 series and so the 200 series will save ur power bills a bit too.

On features let me highlight some from the Nvidia Site-

NVIDIA PhysXâ„¢
NVIDIA PureVideo® HD Technology
NVIDIA HybridPowerâ„¢ Technology

GeForce GTX 260 ? a high definition, 3D graphics card for working and playing at full speed.

I dint include cuda btw.

Also the reason why nvidia logo comes up is cause they supply game manufacturers with their cards and actively work with them to work out kinks if faced by them, this needs support staff from nvidias behalf and a lot of money spent, a luxary that ati doesn't have and hence better game performances. Btw I dont think that the nvidia logo is the biggest factor behind 200 series performance in crysis.

Also 4xxx series isn't a huge change either its the same architecture that came with 2900, refined in 3800 and further refined now. Same is the case with GT200, it has been refined from the powerful g80 to g92 and to present!

I hope I addressed all your points, same way I'm not trying to humiliate but share info I know!

pretty late here goin to bed :p

gannu said:
Abs BS I'd say;

Replicating OEM media hardly costs <1$ for them; :bleh:

Yeah rite; as if they're bundling games in Blu-ray discs; crap; :|

COD4 free with the card at 299 and it wanted the game anyway so it card actually cost me 1000 bux lesser with the game :eek:hyeah:

:rofl:

U haven't played it until now??? :rofl:

And getting the card to play it; good gosh; :lol:

50 bucks here; 10 chars; :|

Back