PC Peripherals 24 pin psu????

yup...heard bout the converter....but ppl can use thier 20 pin too in a 24 pin socket....so ny specific use of a converter....
Dont know much about PSU's nd stuff :huh:
so just to make sure nd b on the safer side

well yes you can use the convertor, but you dont need to. The normal 20pin will fit into that 24pin connector leaving 4 pins unfitted. But that dosent stop the motherboard from functioning properly.

yea thts what ...so why were 24 pin introduced..
i mean if i can run wit a 20 pin theres gotta b some risk rite???
correct me if am wrong but then if a mobo wil run perfectly on 20 pin ...why 24 ????

That four extra pins provide the exta juice (power) required by newer m/b and cpu's for stable operation.

Since the existing pins of 20 pin psu (wires from the psu) are already heavily loaded.

yep its there to provide extra juice. But it seems that none of the people have ran into any serious trouble without it.

i think at the moment systems are not demanding enough to need a 24pin psu though that could change in the future

Deejay is right ! Also, 24 pin psu is highly recommended especially if you're planning on DFI LanParty mobos. In fact, IIRC, some e-tailers have started to state that as a requirement. Now, the only 24 pin psu available here is the Neopower right ? Unfortunately it has slighly weaker (split) +12V rails, and it ain't clear whether the Amps add up, i.e., how they distribute depending upon the load. And going by AnandTech's reco, I went for the mono +12V rail but high Amp TruePower 480W. Not sure whether I did the right thing though. Also, I've heard that simply pluggin' in the 20-pin is better than using a 20-24 pin converter.

Well, OCZ's take on that (of course, you may call them biased ) is that a 24 pin psu is required for all nf4 mobos. Period. The advantage of split 12V rails, especially that of PowerStream in particular, is that one of the rails is dedicated to the CPU and that helps when you OC.

I think the official DFI and OCZ line is that 24 pin PSU is highly recommended. But there are also folks who seem to have no problems with 20 pin PSUs. I think DFI tech will not be very sympathetic to your plight if you have problems OC-ing with a 20-pin PSU. Atleast that appears to be the gross tenor of their recos.

EDIT: I think the Neopower was ~7-8K when I enquired many moons ago. Think it's more like 6-7K now I believe.

SunMysore said:
well...DFI in india is an impossibility :p

The neopower 480 costs abt 6-7K IIRC.....

I knw thts true.....and its a shame really :mad: .DFI shud be here......darky i think will be happy bout tht :cool2:

@master...........it has probs only whn overclockin????.........also ny other cheapo 24pin psu

@rocky

I'd assume the issue would be severe when you try to OC - that is, it may not be necessary for the system to even boot assuming you have atleast > 20-25 Amps on the +12V rail ! But as I said, YMMV. Generally, the recos seem to be little over-hyped - I guess the feeling is that it is better to be safe than .....

I'm hardly an expert in the local H/W scene here, unfortunately !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back