Budget 15-20K 15-16k Phone suggestion. Windows Phone 8?

Ankur.J

Game Guy
Disciple
1. Budget?
A: 16k max

2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar

3. Preferred display type?
A: Best type

4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: No dislike or anything, want quality and service

5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen

6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Yes very much

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: I am thinking much on Windows 8, as it looks efficient and utilizes hardware properly?

8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: All prefered

9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Mails, Maps, Gaming, Apps, Photos, also video calling.

10. Any other requirements?
A: Just want good quality phone which last 2 years

11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
A: Looking at 720, never seen so beautiful, I have owned only one Nokia phone i.e 5200 and it is working till now, but not fulfilling my needs, so I am sure Nokia has good quality, what do you guys say? Any suggestions on this and other phones is welcomed :)

At no point did I say it has no apps. Thats ridiculous. I said that compared to Android or iOS the choices are slim. And I backed that up by examples.

Like I said, if you like the choice of having tons of apps at your fingertips then consider Android over WP8. Thats not really a controversial statement. Its just plain true. Purely by numbers alone WP has about 1/5 the number of apps you can get on iOS or Android.

Dont get me wrong, I love the OS and the phone overall. But thats because I am not heavily dependent on apps. Like I said above, its a minor inconvenience rather than a real deal breaker. But if someone was really into stuff like that then you would be misguiding them by saying WP has comparable offering to Android. It does not. Not in variety. And not in sheer numbers. For every one app that gets the job done on WP, Android probably offers 3 and choices are a big deal when it comes to user customization.

I have to disagree a bit with talk of low end Android phones being bad. Of course sub 10k Android phones are just bad but my friend moved from Samsung Focus to Samsung Galaxy Advance and he has found the experience to be great. The Galaxy Advance has enough power to run anything thrown at it and my friend has never complained of any game not working on the phone.

I use a 7k Pantech Burst while my sis has a Lumia 620. Her phone is a good performer but I never feel like I am using a superior phone in any way. In fact my sis who hardly ever uses her phone preferred her older Dell XCD 35 which pathetic specs like 600 mhz processor and 3.5" screen.

In 16k budget you can get big screen Android phones like the LG L9 with its 4.7 inch IPS screen. You are stuck with 4 to max 4.3 inch screens with Windows.

I am a casual gamer at best but I still like to try out some time pass games on the phone and frankly the sheer number of free games on Android is far far greater than what you get on Windows.

IMO buying a smartphone is all about its apps and Windows is just too far behind iOS and Android ATM.

The Nokia phones are good thanks to their offline maps support which is available for all countries but thats about it. I bought all India Sygic maps for 700 bucks for Android and most people use *ahem* static maps anyways.

Well, 15k Android phones are pretty good with stock apps. When you start installing apps (more than 20 I would say). It starts lagging. It is obvious, almost 70% apps from market runs at least one service in background. There is a memory leak in Android architecture which has not been fixed so far. They need to utilize the memory in more efficient way (just like iOS, Windows Phone do). Obviously, you can tweak the lowmemorykiller settings in core but it needs a lot of experiments. I would be happy if Android do it.

Sorry for late reply, I am just using the phone to complete my needs, I don't have the needs that will require large amount of apps, I a desktop guy, I like power over portability. These few years I could have easily bought a smartphone but didn't need it, but few weeks ago I realized I need it for various purposes like maps the main thing, social media, video calls, light gaming (lol I am playing bounce in my Nokia since ages), I am open to other mobile OS, they offer too much for the price, I thought why not go for a company that has given me a device that served me for 6 years, of course like I said i am open to the bigger companies like Samsung, HTC, LG, even upcoming ones like Micromax and Karbonn, but as a consumer, I will always like quality, service, yeah as Indians we all like quantity, but I have my mighty desktop for it. Thank you for your suggestions, so Nokia Lumia 720 it is.

Back