PC Peripherals Wireless Mouse sometimes suddenly stops responding (cursor stops moving)

raksrules

Elite
I have a Logitech wireless mouse and it has a small 2.4 Ghz dongle which goes into the computer's USB port. The mouse uses 1 AA battery. In most cases the mouse works fine but there are instances when the mouse suddenly stops responding. As in, the cursor freezes on screen, no matter what i do.
Things i have tried till now..

Turning on / off the mouse (there is a switch below), does not work
Remove the USB dongle and put it again, works sometimes, not always
Ensuring that there is no tick in the setting where the USB port can be turned off by the computer.
Restarting the computer or putting it to standby and taking it out works most of the time.
Battery is good i am sure.

I am not sure what causes this sudden death of the mouse. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
Happens with my Dell wireless mouse too when my thigh is too close to the mouse receiver. Changing the position helps. There might be some obstruction between the mice and receiver in your case too.

Ok so i tried the mouse in my office laptop. It installed the driver and all it worked fine for like 5 Minutes and then dead. The red light is blinking / ON below the mouse fine, there is no obstructions as such and it is not an improper surface as well, it is office desk. Although it is not necessary but the USB dongle and mouse are both in line of sight.
This is a US purchase so shops like Rashi and all will not entertain the replacement directly (i asked).

Contacted Logitech India and they told no warranty on US purchased mouse. Anything i can do in this ?

In three instances, I had similar kind of behavior - one in DELL second one is Logitech and the third one is Microsoft. For DELL the problem got solved after replacing with new battery (in fact it is my current mouse). For other two, they had reached their EOL, I believe. I have already used those for more than 4 yrs and putting new set of batteries did not solve the problem. In fact I tried to change the system without any success - from work to home and vice versa. So I dumped those and went for a new one.

I had a horrible experience with my Microsoft wireless optical desktop 1000 some 4 years back . The keyboard had an excellent battery life but the mouse would drain the battery every 3 months, even with moderate usage with a duracell battery. Ordinary batteries are out of question which just dies in a week or 10. I bought two of these wireless desktop sets and the mouse was lying unused in both of them.
But i expected that Logitech will vary from this issue. Now learned that this is an issue with every wireless mouse.
Thank God i bought a Logitech wireless keyboard without the mouse and its working fine. Never i will buy a wireless mouse.

I have a feeling that the culprit seems the USB dongle. I feel that is somewhat malfunctioning.
Now i have a Logitech Wireless keyboard at my home K400 and it uses the unifying receiver. The mouse although it does not use unifying receiver, it has the symbol below it which means it is probably compliant with that. So over the next weekend i am going to try that and if i deduce that it is the receiver at fault, i am just going to throw the mouse as getting a new receiver separately is expensive.

Back