Storage Solutions Windows - delayed Write Failed error

mohit1981

Disciple
Hi,

I have WD 1TB external HDD ( USB 3). Now when I am connecting it to my windows xp based computer, it is recognizing the drive and showing all the folders.

All my folders in externl HDD has fils . But still most of the folders are showing as empty and some which have data, I am unable to open it or copy it to my computer.

I get the error "windows delayed write failed. windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Mft. the data has been lost. this error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. please try to save this file elsewhere "

Please advise as I had backed my data (including family photos) in this drive. Now I am unable to see them or copy them. :(

^^

+1. go to cmd in administrator mode and type

chkdsk /f x:

where X is the partition showing problem, and type "y" when prompted for force dismount.

I hope this will not delete any data...

When I use the command chkdsk<space>/f<space>g:, I am getting the error message " cannot open volume for direct access". (I am the only user on this computer)

Also also tried doing disk check by right clicking on drive>properties>tools>check now. When I click on start, it says" windows was unable to complete the disk check."

Please advise...

How do I do that? Isn't cmd the command name that i have to write on run to open command dos screen?

Moreover since I am the only user, I assume I am also the administrator. Thre is no other user on this computer...

Try it with some other OS, however if windows is not able to complete the check disk....... that does not sound very nice.

Also if you have some free space on another HDD, try to use R studio or some other recovery software to recover the files, they *might* have been *accidently* deleted.

mohit1981 said:
Hi,

Please advise as I had backed my data (including family photos) in this drive. Now I am unable to see them or copy them. :(

probably disk died. since you backed up the data, hope you didn't delete the original files from your pc?

If you did, then its not called a backup. its called as moving files from one disk to another. Backup = 2 copies of each file on 2 different disks.

I am sorry, I meant I have 'moved' my data to wd external hdd. I have old computer with 40 GB HDD. So, I have no other option but to move most of my data, to create space in my computer.

Computer is able to detect the HDD. I am also able to see the folders I created. But some of the folders are now empty and some of the folders have files, which I am unable to open. When i try to copy file to my computer it says ' please check path'.

I contacted WD technical support, they asked me to download 'Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows' from their website and run some test. Now that test failed and gave error message 'too many bad sectors'.

As per them drive need to were of no help in be replaced. When i asked how i can get back my data, they simply said they are not trained into that!!!!!!

What should i do now?? :(

^ you cant do anything. Your data is lost. Once bad sectors crop up, the more you run your drive, the more it fails. If your external drive is in warranty, rma it.

If it isn't then get brand new internal hdd and try to get the most important data off the external one with some freeware tools like testdisk.

Do not touch your 40gb hdd. It could still have the data intact with only the file headers deleted. So if you do not get any data off the dying hdd you can try getting deleted data off the 40Gb one to your new hdd. Either way to get data off you will need to get a new hdd. But chances of success are quite slim.

I am moving the data into external HDD since dec'2010. Since then I have copied/ installed n number of softwares files etc.

What are the software I can use to recover my files. Vivek has suggested 'R studio' but that is paid.

What are the best free data recovery software for external HDD.

Code:
[url]http://www.techenclave.com/applications/hard-disk-recovery-for-laptop-195819.html#post1878208[/url]

[url]http://www.techenclave.com/applications/can-i-recover-my-data-somehow-193371.html[/url]

Found the links in Applications. You can do a search for more.

this software might help.its a free recovery software for home users.i personally use it and its one of the best free recovery software available.
Code:
[url=http://www.powerdatarecovery.com/]Free File Recovery Software - Power Data Recovery is an all-in-one free data recovery software that could help you to recover your lost data from hard disk, CD, DVD disk, memory stick, memory card, and flash drive.[/url]
first buy a new HDD and use you external HDD to recover files (in damaged partition recovery mode).or try undelete recovery mode for your 40 gb HDD.hope you get your data.

also google for "seagate data recovery software".(its very expensive)( google it to get cr@ckd version.its a very powerful software).

Back