Why I Left India - Article from NY Times

hmm... let him reach USA, settle there and we would all like to hear an update after one or two years.

Am sure he will have something more negative to say.

The USA he left is not the USA now.

I would rather stay in India than live like a uniformed school child in another country.

@Pranareddy, thanks for link to Chetan Bhagat' blog. I loved it. The positive attitude of his will inspire other NRIs to look at India with a different perspective .

No, i don't think he was immodest. He is just showing that he cares.

nehaladsul said:
^^ I would rather be a 3rd-Class Citizen of my own nation than being a 1st-Class Citizen of any other nation!

Sounds very 'fashionable', but makes no sense whatsoever.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

pranavreddy said:
Here's Chetan Bhagat's reaction to this article.

Happy Diwali (and why I am still here) | Chetan Bhagat

Am i the only one who found it like he's blowing his own trumpet?

Absolutely agree with the 'blowing his own trumpet'

What CB has "done" in that article specially in relation to his domestic help (sic...? plural) is nothing new and novel. Most Indian families gift their staff (house or work) during festivals and try to help them out financially and aid in uplift of lifestyle. My family has personally educated kids of our help, and once even gave funds to cure a maids husbands from alcoholism and had him sheltered at a re-hab unit.

If I was at the same fiscal capacity as him I would do the same. Such a lamer he is. Just as his books are pulp trash about the misnomers and discoveries of Indian culture, this article echos the same. Was he not making fun of Punju families and South Indian contextual behavior in 2 States. And how difficult it was for him to get married. Please. He is such a lamer and looser.

"I would rather be a 3rd-Class Citizen of my own nation than being a 1st-Class Citizen of any other nation!"

[quote name='deepakvrao']Sounds very 'fashionable', but makes no sense whatsoever.

Far from being "fashionable" it is dated. The statement makes me think of the pre-independent India era. Patriots like Vallahbhai Patel, Tilak, Gandhiji would/could have very easily made this statement (if not, they would have echoed the same). Does it make sense now?

what ? are you serious ? amoeba made hi react that way ? :S and what is he b**ching about..It was case of square peg in round hole !

he claims it made him uncomfortable paying more for pizza than his maid. What stopped him from paying his maid more then? The article is so full of these false dilemmas

red dragon said:
^^He is doing it for a long time now.
You are a man of few words, crisp, to the point and nothing more.

:lol:

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

greenhorn said:
he claims it made him uncomfortable paying more for pizza than his maid. What stopped him from paying his maid more then? The article is so full of these false dilemmas
False dilemmas ? yeah, fluff.

He did not give the real reasons but danced around them with a few clues.

greenhorn said:
the f was that ?

the guy just sounds confused and disoriented. I didnt get the point of the article. the guy just whined a lot and just left. I cannot find a damn to give, and i dont see why anyone should. boo -effing hoo. he couldnt stand it. then get out, and good riddance
And here I feel someone just said my mind :p

This guy of reminds me of a friend who came back to India after 4 yrs. He wanted to return to US as soon as possible. His reason:

one of his colleagues got into an accident while commuting on a bike. He had hit the divider and was bleeding profusely. There was a hospital 5 mins away from the accident spot. This guy stops an auto to take him to the hospital and the auto driver says - 1000 Rs lagega.

My friends opinion was - people are not very helpful around here.

I had to tell him - you cant judge a collective by the looks of an idividual. In US, god forbid he could've met a serial killer (by official estimate US has the highest number of serial killers). Then what? Will you return from there too? The auto driver was a pile of shit and it cant be helped even if he is a grave robber.

Same way this guy talks about negatives. Seperate dish for maids. Then he is furious about talking about his caste or shouting at the roadside vendor. Seriously? If he felt so guilty about ordering pizza worth more than his maid's salary, he could have done something about it. I dont get why people tend to lament but avoid doing something worthwhile.

I agree with the author. India brings out the worst in people. It forces you to yell at the beggars to go away. You promise to meet someone at a certain date even though you know that you won't be able to meet him because all you wanted was for the guy to quit him constant requesting.

Competition has made us hostile and we have adopted a behaviour which we consider normal but it can arguably be called as "rude" also. It has become essential we stand to get mowed down by others.

The author didn't like the person he was becoming in india. I understand what he means. I also agree with chetan bhagat's "half cup full" outlook. Positivity is better than negativity.

^^ not sure which india you're talking about. not seen this anywhere I've lived. I have a feeling that's because indian society is raw, and will treat you the same way you treat it, and not in an artificially civilized manner.

One of the things I dislike the most is getting oughtright fleeced or at least getting on the wrong end of a bargain. That's why I go to great lengths to avoid taking autos in Bangalore/Chennai and absolutely avoid coolies in Kerala, the reason I worried more about getting my bike serviced after getting into an accident than the actual bruises I got on my body. Its also the reason why I buy crappy overpriced household items from places like Big Bazaar and buy electronic goods online instead of places like SP road. Even if I have to pay extra I can live with having to pay the same as everyone else. I'm sure this is a problem that exists elsewhere in the world but if I had a choice I'd run away from it to a place where there is less of it too :D

Maybe its a kind of salaryman mentality. On the other hand the author is a total asshole if he has to "dehumanize" his maid and driver just coz they get paid way less than him. He's way too much into worshipping money and so it was probably for the best that he went to the land of $$$

Gaurish said:
I agree India has its flaws but

Anyday, I would prefer to be First-class citizen of my own country over being a third-class citizen in US.

Just saying:p
Totally agree and for the same reason even i returned back :) and i am much happy than what i was abroad.

But I never doubted what I could get; I hated what I was becoming.

Atleast the author is honest sometimes..

You see..Patriotism isn't something that should spring up at the time of a war or an India-Pak cricket match. Either you have it or you don't. As Indians we have a thousand reasons to dislike our nation, but despite the odds we continue to love her in the most un-explainable ways.

Nothing to hold against the US, all I can say is that having experienced the standard of living in the states, he finds it hard to cope with the ways that he was once so used to.

I know India will rule the future.

What a paradox. Dude have the guts to tell us that you don't love your country anymore in the ways you claim, you used to before. Well atleast he won't let his patriotism stay in the way of his return to US.

My urge to the author: look yourselves in the mirror.. Its not you wishing us luck and sympathizing on our conditions..Infact its the other way around!!

Back