Why I Left India - Article from NY Times

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
The Hindi movie on my “return to India†flight on Dec. 13th, 2006 was “Swades†(literally: “My country,†a story about a patriotic NASA engineer who returns to India to help improve his homeland).

The idea that you can fix India’s problems by adding more people to it — even smart people — is highly suspect. No, I wasn’t going back to fix things; I was leaving the U.S. to go back to Shri Thomas Friedman’s India: an India that offered global companies, continental food, international schools and domestic help; an India that offered freedom from outsourcing and George W. Bush.

I was excited about moving to India and I thought I had the right expectations—after being away for eleven years (I grew up in Mumbai), I was prepared for India to feel less like home and more like the flight’s “Indian vegetarian mealâ€: visually familiar but viscerally alien.

Our move was a success by any metric. My wife and I are software professionals, and our careers flourished at an Indian rate of growth (R.I.P., “Hindu rate of growthâ€). Our daughter attended a preschool in Bangalore whose quality matched any in the Bay Area. Our three-bedroom flat in Defence Colony, Indiranagar, was so comfortable and so American-friendly that my friends called it the Green Zone.

And yet, two years and nine months after our move to India, on one of our regular evening jogs along our impossibly leafy street, my wife and I found ourselves discussing not whether we should return to the U.S., but when.

A month later, we were back in California.
___

Anyone who’s written about India has at some point claimed that there are two or at most three Indias, whether “airplane India†or “scooter India†or “bullock cart India.†Maybe they stop at three because it is difficult for the reader to imagine more.

Early on, all the metaphors rang true. I’d see bullock-cart India beg from scooter India while scooter India was getting honked at by airplane India.

But then the metaphors started to fade and the daily grind set in. I stopped noticing India’s newness, oldness and juxtapositioned-ness. Within weeks, I had joined the honking swarm driving in Bangalore. I knew a guy who could repair anything from my daughter’s talking Barney to our Bose Wave radio. I could sweet-talk an auto-rickshaw driver into not fleecing me (even though I was Kannada-challenged). Everything felt familiar, normal, unremarkable, as it should be; I was in India.

That’s when it started going wrong.

Three months after our return, after a friend told me that his two children were sick with amoebiasis — he thought they got it from their maid — my wife and I designated a separate set of dinnerware for our maids. It’s more hygienic.

Within six months, I’d brusquely refused my driver an emergency loan of 500 rupees ($10) to attend his grandmother’s funeral. I’d learned my lesson after our previous driver scammed me into paying for his son’s broken leg (as it turned out, he had no son). It only encourages them to ask for more; besides, they’re all liars.

Near the first anniversary of our return, I had my first road-rage incident: I verbally abused a hawker who was blocking the road. I’m not going to let bullock-cart India make my daughter late for her school admission test.

The hawker glared but scampered away, the road cleared, and, as I walked back to my car, I saw something new and disturbing in my driver’s eyes: respect. I don’t know how my daughter felt because I couldn’t look her in the eye.

Was this even a real problem? Make your peace; it is how it is.At the end of a long phone call to my mother in Pune, she said, “Don’t think so much. Just work hard and you can get whatever you want.â€

But I never doubted what I could get; I hated what I was becoming.

I struggled, I regressed, I improved, I tried learning from others — except so many seemed (to me, not to them) worse off: an offensive Sardar joke here (even the kids laughed), a not-so-subtle inquiry about my caste (I’m still furious with myself for answering), tips on how to keep our maid “in her place†— it just didn’t stop. Et tu, airplane India?

And so it goes.

In any breakup, there is this moment when a person who was a part of you just an instant ago becomes a surrealistically familiar stranger. After that moment, inertia and denial can only delay the inevitable.

On my last night in Bangalore I drank an egregious amount of my favorite takeout Chinese hot-and-sour vegetable soup, and I cried; I knew this second goodbye was final. When I first left India in 1996, I left for the U.S. When I left India in 2009, I left India.
___

Why do I feel better in the U.S.? Maybe it’s not because I’m at home here, but because I’m an alien. Perhaps three thousand years of history have made us Indians a little too familiar with one another for our own good. We’ve perfected Malcolm Gladwell’s “blink†— the reflexive, addictive and tragically accurate placement of other Indians into bullock carts, scooters, airplanes and who knows what else. These issues exist in all countries, but in India, I could see the bigotry in high fidelity and hear the stereotypes in surround-sound — partly because it is worse in India, mostly because I am Indian.

India’s wealth and lifestyle disparity is still impossibly great; I probably spent more on pizza than on my maid. She knew this too, because she was often the one who handed the pizza delivery guy his money. Everyone in India has to deal with this, but I coped in the worst possible way: by dehumanizing her and other people like her, ever so slightly, ever so subtly — chronic amoebiasis of the soul.

Though my return to India failed, I came back feeling more optimistic than ever about India’s long-term success. India is regaining her leadership position — the position she held ever since humans were civilized, a position she lost only because of a few uncivilized humans (at least give us back our Koh-i-noor!). I know India will rule the future. It’s just that I’ve realized — I’ve resigned myself to the fact — that I won’t be a part of that future.

I’m glad I went back to India, and I’m glad to be back in the U.S. Life has come full circle but the center has shifted. I didn’t go to India to find home, but I did find it; I now know where I belong. As Laozi might have said, sometimes the journey of a single step starts with a thousand miles in the opposite direction.

(There was no Hindi movie on the flight back to the U.S. Or maybe I didn’t check.)

Source - Why I Left India (Again) - NYTimes.com

kauzy

Skilled
Jul 9, 2005
Gaurish said:
I agree India has its flaws but

Anyday, I would prefer to be First-class citizen of my own country over being a third-class citizen in US.

Just saying:p

agreed.. :)

and thats the reason why i returned back..

6pack

ex-Mod
Sep 19, 2005
all this stems from having dreams of an ideal life which is impossible in any country.

:)

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009
Gaurish said:

Anyday, I would prefer to be First-class citizen of my own country over being a third-class citizen in US.

the author wants his american dream to be fulfilled in india :p

he was overexpecting :p

raj404

Disciple
Jun 2, 2006
Read the source & the comments, equally interesting. Thanks for the article. Situation in India (least being the growing disparity between the haves & the have-nots) could ignite a revo.of sorts.

Superbad

Skilled
May 26, 2009
There always was disparity Among the haves and the have nots.
So also the disparity with the working class and the business (entrepeneurs) class.
And i am including hawkers too. :p

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Gaurish said:

You might be confusing the gulf for the west. If you're a professional you won't be a 3rd class citizen in the US, you could very well live better than most US citizens, a $160k combined family income, will put you in the top 5% of the US.

I get the sneaking suspicion that the author felt a 3rd class citizen in India, thats why he left. These lines give some clues

Perhaps three thousand years of history have made us Indians a little too familiar with one another for our own good.
a not-so-subtle inquiry about my caste (I’m still furious with myself for answering)
These issues exist in all countries, but in India, I could see the bigotry in high fidelity and hear the stereotypes in surround-sound — partly because it is worse in India, mostly because I am Indian.

Now what does he mean by it :huh:

The funny thing is he says he grew up in mumbai, would have thought that would have made the transition easier. He left in 1996, so he wasn't coming back to the same India, he was coming back to more prosperous India, yet what made him leave in the first place had not changed the second time. The more he lived here the more clear it became he was right to leave the first time around, India had not changed for him at all.

I did not understand really why he left, also its not clear whether his wife is Indian or not. That could be a major factor.

whatsinaname

Skilled
Apr 18, 2007
blr_p said:
You might be confusing the gulf for the west. If you're a professional you won't be a 3rd class citizen in the US, you could very well live better than most US citizens, a $160k combined family income, will put you in the top 5% of the US.

I get the sneaking suspicion that the author felt a 3rd class citizen in India, thats why he left. These lines give some clues

Now what does he mean by it :huh:

The funny thing is he says he grew up in mumbai, would have thought that would have made the transition easier. He left in 1996, so he wasn't coming back to the same India, he was coming back to more prosperous India, yet what made him leave in the first place had not changed the second time. The more he lived here the more clear it became he was right to leave the first time around, India had not changed for him at all.

I did not understand really why he left, also its not clear whether his wife is Indian or not. That could be a major factor.

His article is not very well written, but I can see what he is talking about.

Maybe because of the population or because of other reasons, the way people interact is a bit different (on an average, I am not talking in absolutes). Especially in how you deal with people like cab drivers, attendants in shops, etc.

In India, you are always on the lookout if the other guy is trying to cheat you. If you go to a new place, you are worried about the rickshaw people fleecing you. If you go to an unknown petrol bunk, you are worried about not getting all the fuel you are payed for. You have to be a bit more vigilant of what is going on around you.

The person who wrote this article didn't want to deal with that. I think that is why he left.

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
Better to live in a country and among people that you cannot call your own than in a country and among people that you gradually grow ashamed of calling your own.

Better to think you are a third rate citizen in a foreign country than being treated like one in your own.

That might be the reason why a lot of Indians like the author of that article who decide to come back for good just as promptly go back for good. Every country has its own imperfections, but people tend to be affected by the imperfections of their own country and people more than that of any other country. For instance, an Indian who lives in a foreign country would be concerned about the racism that exists in that country, but he would be ashamed about the racism that exists in his own country. People tend to perceive even the same imperfections differently based on context.

Quite often people tend to cope with it by self denial. They outright convince themselves that they are no imperfections in our country and they argue the same with others. Check in TOI comments section. Lots of Indians there from every imaginable country in the world ready to bash anyone who dare to speak the truths about the imperfections of our country. They quote the history and heritage our country had in the past, but yet none of them would be ready to come back to the country. The author of the article was at least honest with himself and he made a decision after giving it a try.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
whatsinaname said:
His article is not very well written, but I can see what he is talking about.

Maybe because of the population or because of other reasons, the way people interact is a bit different (on an average, I am not talking in absolutes). Especially in how you deal with people like cab drivers, attendants in shops, etc.
In India, you are always on the lookout if the other guy is trying to cheat you. If you go to a new place, you are worried about the rickshaw people fleecing you. If you go to an unknown petrol bunk, you are worried about not getting all the fuel you are payed for. You have to be a bit more vigilant of what is going on around you.

The person who wrote this article didn't want to deal with that. I think that is why he left.
Hmm, these are just the things you have to put up with every where.

Let me give you an example from when i lived in NYC, have to get a yearly emissions test sticker for the car. So go to this garage and the guy there tells me it did not pass and if i fixed this & that he would pass it. This is the same nonsense except i was out a three figure amount. So ignorance always has its price and there will be any number of hustlers out there waiting to take advantage.

Does this mean i want to quit living there, no. I learnt not be taken for a ride in that way ever again.

Thats why i did not really understand the authors reasons for leaving, he's been quite cryptic about it to say the least. He would have come here thinking that job prospects would be better, since he lived here for 2 years & 9 months, he must have come over just after the financial crisis hit the US in Sept 2008. So he dresses it up as trying to reconnect with his roots but its just a good move to come over, economy is in bad state whereas here it was growing + india experience.

Have read articles like this earlier where ppl were much more upfront ie frustrated with the system and missed the ease of doing business they had become accustomed to in the US. The lack of red tape in short. The speed at which things move here in comparison to over there etc.

greenhorn

Patron
Dec 29, 2005
the f was that ?

the guy just sounds confused and disoriented. I didnt get the point of the article. the guy just whined a lot and just left. I cannot find a damn to give, and i dont see why anyone should. boo -effing hoo. he couldnt stand it. then get out, and good riddance

Checksum

Skilled
Aug 3, 2005
A few points he makes are valid, but he doesn't seem to be clear on what he was expecting. Such disparities exist everywhere including the US. Looks to me like he was just trying hard to be a "desi" when he really wasn't. He wanted to go back to the US and this article seems to be his attempt at validating his decision. I wonder if he will keep shifting to different countries every couple of years in search of what he really wants.

Sei

Skilled
Aug 14, 2006
Pune
Though, I don't agree with the author outright, but I do feel that right now India is still trying to discover itself. The last decade has probably seen more change than the last 3 decades combined.

A person always has his own version of an ideal country. Everyone has a list which contains things which he would love to see implemented in his own country. For person A, it might be clean roads, for person B, it might be end of corruption.

Economic disparity is present in every country. The pizza example he has taken might very well be true in America true (obviously not with respect to a maid since labor is very expensive there). Bankers and CEOs earn hundreds of thousands of $ every year whereas the common clerk may be barely earning enough to go by.

But, what I do wish would happen in India when I hear it from my friends living abroad -

1. Roads.. and where roads are present, they should be clean without potholes.

2. Better public transportation

3. Clean public toilets

That's just for starters.. I am not even talking about the big issues like corruption etc. :|

Neo-N

Skilled
Mar 26, 2010
Mumbai
Gaurish said:

^^ I would rather be a 3rd-Class Citizen of my own nation than being a 1st-Class Citizen of any other nation!