Using a convertor for converting from Rj 11 to Rj 45

Hey guyz!
i juss got an Act bordband connection.
U all knw tat they provide internet through Fiber optics.....
soo itz juss plugin in the wire directly to ur comp....
but the thing is i previously had a BSNL connection.... their Modem/Router supports Rj 11,
sooo can i get this converter(http://www.snapdeal.com/product/moelissa-lan-hub-switch-router/888858720#bcrumbSearch:Rj 45 Routersor this http://www.ebay.com/itm/1FT-30CM-RJ...hernet_Cables_RJ_45_8P8C_&hash=item5b089f086a) to solve my prob?
or should u go for a new router?
thankz in advance!! :) :D

Last edited:
I hope you're kidding. RJ11 and RJ45 are not the same thing at all even electrically in terms of wires/contacts. Moreover the RJ11 socket on your modem-router interfaces with the ADSL circuitry, i.e. the modem won't know what to do with an Ethernet signal. Thankfully the links you've provided aren't converters either.

You need a new router, or you need to check if one of your router's LAN ports can be used as a WAN port. This is probably another reason why modem-router combos are best avoided.

I hope you're kidding. RJ11 and RJ45 are not the same thing at all even electrically in terms of wires/contacts. Moreover the RJ11 socket on your modem-router interfaces with the ADSL circuitry, i.e. the modem won't know what to do with an Ethernet signal. Thankfully the links you've provided aren't converters either.

You need a new router, or you need to check if one of your router's LAN ports can be used as a WAN port. This is probably another reason why modem-router combos are best avoided.

but..
i was goin though some website about this.
i read that, by connecting the RJ 45 cable to any of the lan ports and connecting another cable from the router to your pc enables you to use the internet.
i tried it out and it worked.
but i am not able to understand why am i not able to use the wifi.

Mod edit: message translated to english. Please avoid sms lingo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what is act is using for authentication. Is it PPPOE based ?
Mention the BSNL router model. We shall help you further.

but..
i read that, by connecting the RJ 45 cable to any of the lan ports and connecting another cable from the router to your pc enables you to use the internet.

Connecting to any LAN port will work if your router is configured with internet setting from provider.
Login to the router from internet explorer type http://192.168.0.1
can also be 192.168.1.1
check if it is configured with IP DNS and stuff. Do a test which is present in the web interface.

but..

That works because the router simply acts as a switch when you use it in that configuration. You could disable the dhcp server on your bsnl router and then check if your wifi works with the cable connected to any of the lan ports. If it does not work, then the wifi and ethernet ports are not bridged. Try to search for an option to bridge them in the bsnl router settings page, else get a new router.

Although they may look similar, the technology used in both differ. LAN uses less than 5V, while our telephone wire is somewhere in the range of 24-48V. Hence, you cannot use them interchangeably.

If you are talking about the two links that you have provided, the snapdeal link is for joining two telephone/LAN wires together - not for interchanging them. The ebay link is an extension to bring the LAN port at the back to the front panel.

Back