Linux Ubuntu 8.10 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

ex-Mod
Ubuntu%20Logo.png

Ubuntu 8.10 Released

The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop and Server, continuing Ubuntu's tradition of integrating the latest and greatest open source technologies into a high-quality, easy-to-use Linux distribution. New Features since Ubuntu 8.04 LTS: GNOME 2.24; X.Org 7.4; Linux kernel 2.6.27; encrypted private directory; guest session; Network Manager 0.7; Samba 3.2; PAM authentication framework; Totem BBC plugin; server virtualization; Ubuntu as a Xen guest; JeOS is now an option in the server installer; notable inclusion in the main repository - Sun's Java OpenJDK 1.6, Apache's Tomcat 6, ClamAV, SpamAssassin; boot degraded RAID setting.

Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop and Server. Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition delivers the features you need for an increasingly mobile digital life, including 3G wireless support and guest sessions that lets users temporarily share computers without compromising security. Ubuntu 8.10 Server consolidates its support for virtualization with an integrated virtual machine builder, and brings with it a fully-supported Java stack and support for per-user directory encryption.

Features : -
  • Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3
  • OpenOffice.org 2.4.1
  • The GIMP 2.6.1
  • F-Spot 0.4.4
  • Pidgin 2.5.1
  • Brasero 0.8.2
  • Transmission 1.34
  • Rhythmbox 0.11.6
  • Ekiga 3.0
  • Evolution 2.24.1
  • Nautilus 2.24.1
  • Vinagre 2.24.1
Those who have ordered the Live CD from https://shipit.ubuntu.com/ get ready to be amazed as Ubuntu and Kubuntu this time has great cover , Though I am not sure about CD Label

Ubuntu 8.10 Release Schedule : -
  • [strike]12 June 2008 - Alpha 1 release
  • 3 July 2008- Alpha 2 release
  • 24 July 2008 - Alpha 3 release
  • 14 August 2008 - Alpha 4 release
  • 4 September 2008 - Alpha 5 release
  • 18 September 2008- Alpha 6 release
  • 2 October 2008- Beta release
  • 23 October 2008 - Release Candidate
  • 30 October 2008- Final release of Ubuntu 8.10[/strike]
Ubuntu Feature Tour : Desktop : Features | Ubuntu Desktop Edition | Server : Ubuntu Server Edition | Ubuntu

Ubuntu Home Page : Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu | https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid

Announcement : https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2008-October/000116.html | 8.10 Release Notes | Ubuntu

Download Links : Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu | https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Looks like Kubuntu will come with KDE 4.1 or who knows? even 4.2.

Just tried the packages for 4.1 beta 2 mentioned on kubuntu.org and its looking good. You can make it looks like KDE3 style (which I prefer) and the KWin desktop effects are neat.

As for Ubuntu, the .26 kernel and latest Xorg and drivers should mean it works much better on my tablet (wireless and touchscreen), so I'm definitely looking forward to the release :)

Check out YouTube - ubuntudevelopers's Channel for the Prague developer summit videos!

Although personally I'm not probably going to install it, if the changes justify the chnage I'll probably install it on some of my friends / family computers.

i hope that all the stuff like compiz & beryl works with any alpha or beta version of ubuntu, or does it ???

It will be there I think they will include Compiz 0.78 .their database has 0.77 which is under heavy development :)

I wonder if (why not) they'll move to OOo 3 for Intrepid... saw someone on the mailing ask about it but no reply... plus they're thinking about changing from Pidgin to Empathy as default IM client :D

edit: by the way, i recently ordered and received some ubuntu stickers, pens, keyring and a 1gb usb flash drive from the canonical store - woohoo! got hardy amd64 as a live usb boot/install image on the stick for emergency installations heh

You guys probably have seen this. If not, have a look. List of new features
. I'm really looking forward to Empathy, a multi-protocol messaging client with Jingle support! (Video/Voice support on GTalk). Goodbye Skype?

Yup, seen that thread, I'm now hoping for OpenOffice 3 and kernel .27 to be in the release

ShipIt will (most likely) provide Intrepid when it's released in Oct/Nov...

Currently it provides the original 8.04 and if stocks have completed , will provide 8.04.1 release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back