Linux Ubuntu 8.10 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just upgraded my Hardy installation to Intrepid Beta for kicks (Slow Sunday).

Will probably do a clean install later.

Quick take

Pros:

Love the new tabbed nautilus interface

Much needed eject button next to drives in the places menubar (left of nautilus)

NetworkManager works prettier, switches very seamlessly between wired/wireless.

Suspend/Resume is faster (old acer laptop intel915 GMS chipset, Centrino,2 GB RAM)

Cons:

Pulseaudio !!! Doesn't let me play any sound. Possibly a configuration issue. killall pulseaudio reverts audio to normal. Don't have any fancy sound HW. Mike works crap (always did, even for Hardy, works okay in windows).

Update : Pulseaudio has mysteriously fixed itself (lots of patches being downloaded everyday). Works perfectly. Also be sure to try the new Ubuntu dark theme. I like.

I have been on 2.6.27 with Kubuntu 8.10 beta/rc/etc for nearly a month now.

Problems wise: My damned webcam does not work, which people are reporting worked out of the box for 2.6.26. Stupid me for buying M$ :(. And ofcousre no drivers for XFi out of the box. Other than that all is good.

I had a M$ webcam which I gifted to my bro-in-law lately ;) .now got a logitech one.

these cheap webcams may run with average results with gspca modules for your current kernel installed.

search in synaptic for "gspca-modules-fortheversionofyourkernel" . :)

I am used to empathy voip client(gtalk for Linux!) in Debian Sid of mine.so installed the same in Ubuntu gutsy too.it works fine without much tweaking in Ubuntu.pulse audio too works fine.

I havent understood any new benefits with latest upstart upgrade. :|

I need to remove mono thing from ibex though :S

:rofl: ANother regression in Linux Kernel , buffer overflow bug in ndiswrapper :p I guess Intrepid user will keep on updating the system :p

is ndiswrapper part of the linux kernel? or it exposed a buffer overflow issue in the kernel? specific only to ubuntu?

anyways, my installation went smoothly on desktop and tablet... wifi worked after a few extra clicks - no ndiswrapper tinkering for me this time yay! waiting to try itunes alternatives for my ipod :D

yes, there isnt much incentive to move from hardy to intrepid really due to not-so-latest software and Hardy being LTS ... only makes sense for some because intrepid wireless works with less effort and those few who had bad experience with hardy (stability/bugs) can look forward to intrepid for better luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back