TPLINK WR1043ND cant access the Internet

I have a Dlink 2750U Modem (outdoor) provided by my ISP and connect this with TP Link 1043 (indoor) for Wifi Access through cable as the Dlink is kept more than 500 meters apart.

I just upgraded the firmware of the TP link WR1043ND Router with DD WRT. After which I'm not able to connect to the internet through TP link. With the original firmware i was able to. Just popped in the CD and the necessary setting was automatically done.

With DD WRT being installed there is one major problem 192.168.1.1 seems to be common to both Dlink and TP Link. Now there is a clash, this is the first step that i have to resolve.

Any insights would be helpful

I have the above router and this is my 1st replacement after the former one's wifi started malfunctioning once in a week and then died.

Been facing this issue after i got replacement which is a new unit. Atleast once in a week the router's wifi fails to work and i have to power cycle it. Dont know the reason for this behaviour, and the router is kept working 24/7 . Wired internet is OK but sometimes even that fails to work which forces me to powercycle the device, however this is a rare scenario.

Though this isnt a big issue i would like to know if its worth getting a replacement.
By this time i would have got it replaced, but last time it took around 2 weeks for the replacement unit to arrive which pulls me back.

Is there any one who is facing such an issue ?
Otherwise there are no issues with this router as far as WAN is concerned.
LAN file transfers are pathetic sometimes but i rarely use this feature .
The main use is internet and for me stability matters much.

The Access point name is visible even when it malfunctions but fails to connect. Windows just says it cannot connect and other handheld devices just keeps trying to connect. This happens once in a week atleast...

Is this a usual behaviour with this device ?
Running with the latest FW

Owners please help
Thanx in advance

Last edited:
@vivek.krishnan , @babhishek , thanks for the input, fixed it long back, didnt check back till now!

@anfjavid , are you on the stock firmware?
I've put DD Wrt on the device I Have, its been running for more than 45 days, 24x7, never faced a similar issue. I manually power down the device after 45 days for about an hour.
I guess the wired failing is an ISP problem, dunno though for sure. Cos atleast my ISP is very stable.

If you like to try DD WRT, try it and see! but warranty will be void!

Thanx for your reply mate.
I have heard about the DD WRT FW but havent tried it since the procedure to incorporate it into a device is very lengthy and i am scared that if i miss even any one single setting, the device would be bricked.
However dont have any idea about this device. Once i bought an ASUS wifi router, i think the RT N13U for its torrent downloading capabilities and i was very disappointed to find that its torrent download capability is very limited with stock FW and many users asked me to update to DD WRT FW. Initially i thought that it would be very easy like updating a normal firmware but when i found that the procedure was very lengthy, i just packed it up and returned to the store exchanging it for a DSL N10e.

Moreover i dont want to loose warranty for the sake of this. But, if the device is that stable with DD WRT, then i will surely try it but only after the warranty expires.
Can you please share your experience in applying DD WRT for this device ?.
I havent seen the DD WRT interface. Does it look same in every device or is there any noticeable difference ?
Honestly i have no knowledge in applying third party firmwares starting from PCs to handheld devices.

thanx in advance.

Firstly, if you are facing the issue with the stock firmware - please contact TP-Link and get it RMA'd. This behaviour can exhibit itself in DD-WRT, but not in the stock ROM.

Also, if with DD-WRT it is stable, I feel that you might have some other issues. Several DD WRT users had mentioned that they have to power cycle this device after varying periods of time, some in a week, some in a month. I just feel that having read up about this issue, plus the fact that the ASS - After Sales Service is extremely bad - YMMV though, I would not ask anyone to get it unless they are in a very tight spot.

Finally, installing transmission on the N13 is not that difficult. Follow the steps to a T and it should work fine. Else, get a Go Flex Home from varkey - with Transmission configured.

You do lose warranty if you change the firmware - but I wish they just came with DD WRT. DD WRT looks more or less the same with all devices - some tabs may not be there, it depends on the device. Its a simple, easy and clean interface.

@ Vivek krishnan - Thanx for your reply mate.
Anyway the above is not a big issue for me. I got used to even horrible DSL routers like the linksys wag120n for more than a year, so this doesnt matter much.
Will surely try an ASUS wifi router hereafter.. If you can recommend the best WIFI router below the 5k range which works 24/7 without any hiccup even for a month continiously with the stock ROM , which one would you suggest ?
Thank you very much

It should be an issue, since I want my network up and running 24x7. I want it to work when I need to access the net!

I am not saying ASUS routers are the best, they are surely some of the best though. For that price point.

I would suggest the N13 if its still available for ~2K, nothing beats the price at that value. However, I must confess that I hardly use the stock firmware, so cannot comment on that aspect. And buy a Go Flex Home from varkey or import it for ~4K from the US. This will make a lot of sense once you use both the devices to their fullest - and I assure you will.

However, what I have seen with stock firmware with TP-Link and ASUS and others is that for each change in the setup, you need to do a restart. That, is a extremely big minus in my opinion since you need to wait about 2 minutes for the next change. Plus no details about the router uptime OR WAN uptime. Or connected devices.

Back