The wet shaving thread

Where in India can i get a Parker 95R or 22R or 12/13R?
Also tried for Omega Brushes on Flipkart but found nothing. Can you please direct me to a link for the same?

Would also be trying Biotique Shaving Cream for the first time. Expecting a lot since i am moving from the waste spray cans to this!
Parker although made in India is not available in India :(.
You can try this site. I've bought from them:
http://connaughtshaving.com/omegabrushes.html

Used the full metal, butterfly DE razor today. What a charm. The weight of the head insures that no external pressure is required from the hand. The aperture / groove encourages a non-aggresive output from the blade. Loved the final finish after the shave. Smooth and clean. And felt way way less "fire" after the alum / after shave was applied.

I have a gilette razor that my dad purchased from england in the late seventies . It's full metal with its case and has adjustment to change angle of blade upto seven points . I use it sometimes as my dad never used it and passed it on to me . I actually opened the box a few years back when I started shaving . But back then switched to twin blades then contour blades then sensor exel then mach 3 then now I use fusion . As the single blade shaving is an art and takes time and if not done properly you get cut often which I did back then . I always shave in a hurry so use fusion now with gel foam . Back then I used godrej menthol with shaving brush . I too miss shaving with those old type single blades . I should take it up again . Can someone tell me which are the better blades available now ....back then I used topaz .

Heh, i have an adjustable too, a gilette aristocrat, my dad never used it, its still brand new in the case. i somehow can't bring myself to use it. f you look at the back of your razor there will be a code if it was made in the US, you will be able to identify the model from here. There was a site that had detailed info on the blade angle various razors use. So if you compare what you have with what you would like to try it gives an idea of how aggressive or mild a razor is.

Am a fan of gilette 365 blades with my gilette knack, 6 for Rs.12. I'd buy all the stock when it arrived in the shop and then that product stopped. gilette 7 o'clock either green or black & the competing supermaxx sunrise or tiger are suitable.

DE razors don't need running water. The blades don't get clogged like even a two blade cartridge does.

As for nicks, it happens occasionally but its rare if you do a good prep. If you're used to plastic razors there is a tendency to use more pressure so using a plastic DE is best to start with when transitioning and once you get the feel move on to a heavier model with a metal head.

Canned foam vs a brush, a brush is going to lift the beard better than canned foam which is just applied. Some people face lather which is the best way to do it. I prefer to use a dish and apply it on after as its less work and i can fix the amount used and work the lather better.[DOUBLEPOST=1397667209][/DOUBLEPOST]
And felt way way less "fire" after the alum / after shave was applied.
alum is a great way to tell whether you got your shave right or not. Very useful to test different techniques, angles or holds, different razors & blades brands. Use alum to improve your technique.

A perfect shave is one without any sting at all or with very little. If you manage that at the end of an against-the-grain pass, then you've arrived :)

I use it to tell how good a shave i got at the barber. This will really tell you as opposed to stroking your face.[DOUBLEPOST=1397668129][/DOUBLEPOST]
Would also be trying Biotique Shaving Cream for the first time.
Biotique does a good rich brush cream, better than godrej. I use many creams and change with every shave so it took longer to get through, towards, the end i found it got a bit thicker so make sure you close the lid tight as it can dry and check the manufacturing date.

If you want to go designer, shanaz hussain has a shaving cream called 'sha shave' at 3 times the cost of godrej. Very rich ingredients like shea butter but i find it does not lather as well. That too with a badger hair brush.

Smells good, one to try out.

Last edited:
My Gillette .

Attachments

• 1397669929499.jpg
    1397669929499.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 247
  • 1397670007118.jpg
    1397670007118.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 250
  • 1397670040808.jpg
    1397670040808.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 1397670086592.jpg
    1397670086592.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 248
  • 1397670120682.jpg
    1397670120682.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 238
That Purrple site is quite good. I may end up getting a wooden handle brush from there.

@blr_p : Why do you not use the adjustable brush.

@all: Any online source for India, where we can buy DE razors.

I will put a more comprehensive reply in, once I get time. Currently at a tea garden in rural Assam, so am on "borrowed internet"....![DOUBLEPOST=1397733046][/DOUBLEPOST]@ankushv : Which Gilette DE is that.

Last edited:
I've to shave very day. After trying all methods, fell back to normal 7'O Clock blades and menthol based shaving cream used over luke warm water. I don't go against the grain, still my hairs are thick as ones from tooth brush.

I pity my 24 year old brother-in-law who smears castor oil over his thin mustache to get it strong. I told him to leave it alone or else it is going to be a pain to deal with later. Young guys won't understand.

I got introduced to old school shaving by my brother who let me use his merkur razor and his fancy badger shaving brush. Was impressed right away. But couldn't buy one for myself as I was coming back to India the next day. Can't find a good razor here.

Got the Gillette sterling razor and a boar brush from purple.com here. Not bad. I always thought more blades means better shave. So upgraded from Mach 3 to fusion. But now I realize the single blade shave is so much better. I used to have lot of irritation after shave. With single blade it's reduced considerably. I am using super platinum blade. Any other recommendations??

The Gillette sterling is quite good for someone to try out before investing more in a more premium safety razor. But it's not available easily. Grab it fast from medplus. I haven't seen it anywhere else

I always thought more blades means better shave.
Yeah thats marketing for you, so break it down and its like taking 3 or 5 blades over the same area per pass. With a single blade you try not to go over the same area again during the same pass. If its sharp enough you don't have to. As mantic says think reduction not elimination.

As beard does not grow in the same direction everywhere. Going at it again at 90 degrees, then in the opposite direction will further remove some more. But if you try multi-pass with multi-blade then you are dragging 3 or 5 blades over that same area again. The gels use lubricant to reduce the irritation. But multi-blade razors are primarily single pass. Not advisable to do more. One offs are ok but definitely not every time. The price of cartridges is pricey and multiple passes require sharp blades. So the lowest blade gets the most action, gets blunt quicker and its up to the other blades to pick up the slack. So even though there are multiple blades once the lower blades get blunt its time to replace the cartridge, you think you're paying for 3 or 5 blades but in effect once 1 or 2 go then its time for new. Very good for business :)

So upgraded from Mach 3 to fusion. But now I realize the single blade shave is so much better. I used to have lot of irritation after shave. With single blade it's reduced considerably. I am using super platinum blade. Any other recommendations??
I find a lot of people switch to single blade because of irritation. Already suggested to try supermaxx as well. Thing with blade recommendations is they are very personal, what works for one might not work for another. you have to experiment with as many types and then discover what works best for you.

Last edited:
How did I miss this thread?

Can someone post a tutorial or something of different techniques or equipments? I don't wanna go through 6 pages. :D

Moved on from disposable razors to mach3 to fusion + shaving cream lathered by hand :p

I too have the single blade Gillette razor somewhere - it was my grandpops.

:).

I havent had a wet shave in 5 years now. Recently upgraded my electronic remington to Philips QT4014/42 and a Panasonic ER421KC. And a Fusion ProGlide Power Razor when i am growing beard. Just to shape. I like a clean shave for that. :)

Used to have a Gillette DE Metal one when i was in school for shaving.

Back