The second Indian Joins the 200 club.

Switch

Skilled
Sehwag 219 (149b 25x4 7x6) SR: 146.97

And there were still more then 3 overs to go. Shame that he could not survive for 50 overs.

:)

The way Sehwag plays his cricket, it was a matter of time. Frankly, Sachin getting that double at that point of his career surprised me much more. Nevertheless 2 great innings. Hats off!

who else than Sehwag could do it...At one time I was thinking Gyale could do this but Sehwag had other thoughts! Congrats to him and Team India.

Awesome knock by Sehwag! Just unbelievable! I guess it was pretty much expected that the person to break Sachins record would be Sehwag. :clap::hap2:

but mind you guys the double ton came at the cost of 2 wickets.. both the run-outs were caused due to Sehwag. Personal milestone is good, but not at the cost of others. They lost their opportunity to score a hundred.

Malique said:
but mind you guys the double ton came at the cost of 2 wickets.. both the run-outs were caused due to Sehwag. Personal milestone is good, but not at the cost of others. They lost their opportunity to score a hundred.

But he more than enough made amends for it by staying almost till end and scoring briskly.... and its irony that you on one hand are criticizing Sehwag for caring only about his 100 and on the other talking about others not getting to their milestones :no:

Also Sehwag would be the last man playing for personal milestones it doesn't matter if he is on 0 or 99.. if the ball is there to be hit he will hit it.:clap:

iprincepankaj said:
But he more than enough made amends for it by staying almost till end and scoring briskly.... and its irony that you on one hand are criticizing Sehwag for caring only about his 100 and on the other talking about others not getting to their milestones :no:

What Malique said was spot on. Atleast till the point that it was poor running and that shouldnt be ignored.

I am actually surprised that it took Sehwag so long to score a double hundred in ODI's. The pace at which he scores even in test cricket is extraordinary. So the one person I was sure who would get a double was Sehwag. But Sachin surprised everyone by doing it first. (Surprised because he did it at a late stage in his career not because he lacked ability.) BTW India also posted there highest total ever ie 418. WI are 143-6 in 24 overs as I write this. Rahul Sharma has made a impressive debut by picking up 3 wickets all bowled! And he has also effected a run out.

Decided to watch todays match by streaming it from bcci website. Well worth the bandwidth spent :)

Sachin now has another record against his name :p

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note using Tapatalk Pro.

Sehwag always plays well when he runs someone out. This also happened when he scored 175 in 2011 wc. The man at receiving end both times gauti. Muhahaha. .

Sehwag hits 219 & surpasses Sachin, becomes highest scorer in ODIs

Sehwag surpasses Sachin, becomes highest scorer in ODIs :clap: :hap2:

When Sachin Tendulkar conquered the Mount 200 - the equivalent of scaling Mount Everest for a batsman in ODI cricket - a little over 21 months ago, experts called it a once-in-a-lifetime-achievement.

They were wrong!

Virender Sehwag, who has often spoken about Tendulkar being his role model, and imitated his shot-making early in his career, smashed a one-day record 219 to help India amass a record 418 for five - their highest total in ODIs - during the fourth ODI against the West Indies on Thursday.

Sehwag became only the second player to score a double century in ODIs, making it an exclusive Indian club. Although Sehwag failed to remain unbeaten like his hero, when he was eventually dismissed in the 47th over, he had surpassed Tendulkar's highest individual score by 19 runs. No wonder then when the blazing innings finally came to an end — with Sehwag mistiming his attempt to clear the field off Kieron Pollard to offer substitute Anthony Martin a regulation catch yards inside the long-off fence — instead of heading towards the bowler or the fielder for celebrating the wicket, every West Indies player ran to the India skipper to congratulate him.

After all, most of the 149 balls he faced were hit as hard as Sehwag usually does. While 25 of those raced to the fence all around the park, seven cleared the boundary rope.

Sehwag, who perhaps came to Indore in a desperate need for a big score after three successive failures, with the tour of Australia looming large, would thank rival number Darren Sammy no end. Not just because the West Indies captain didn't shake Sehwag's hands after losing his seventh successive toss in India, since that would have egged on Sehwag to punish the Windies bowlers but for giving him a life when he was on 170.

Making most of the dropped chance

In the 38th over, when Sehwag mistimed his lofted stroke over mid-off, off Ravi Rampaul, in a bid to cross his highest individual score of 175 coming into the match with a six. Sehwag could connect the ball only with the lower portion of the bat and the ball went straight into the air. Sammy ran a few yards backwards and had set himself up nicely to accept the catch. But that wasn't to be.

As it has happened with the Windies captain time and again during the series, the ball bounced into his palms and lobbed out.

Sehwag thanked his counterpart by pointing his bat to Sammy, grinning broadly as the 28,000 fans packed into the Holkar Stadium heaved a sigh of relief.

The moment that was keenly awaited by fans in the cricket world came off the third ball of the 44th over when Sehwag cut Andre Russell for a boundary through point. The entire stadium burst into a roar. Not only did he cross his fifty and his century with boundaries, he also crossed the landmark in the same manner.

In a coincidence, both ODI double centuries have been scored in Madhya Pradesh, Tendulkar having notched the feat in Gwalior against South Africa.

'Sehwag, the king of entertainment' :eek:hyeah: :eek:hyeah:

Indore: The cricket world reacts to Virender Sehwag's record-breaking ODI double century.

"I am very happy for Viru. It is even more satisfying that an Indian has broken my record."

Sachin Tendulkar, the only other batsman to have hit an ODI double-ton to date

"Well I did watch some of that innings by Viru... Brilliant striking!! Congrats on your 219... That's child abuse! [As] The Mask would say, Smoking!"

West Indies batsman Chris Gayle on Twitter

"I say it again! I never saw Sir Viv bat but I've seen Sehwag bat! What a player, 219 in a one day game is next to impossible!"

Sehwag's team-mate Yuvraj Singh on Twitter

"Wow, Test match tomorrow but am still up watching Virender Sehwag score, hopefully, 200. Unreal, and he does [get the] highest ever. Well done mate."

Australia's David Warner on Twitter

"When Viv Richards retired I thought it was end of entertainment. But then came Sehwag, the King of entertainment! Long live the King!!"

TV commentator and former Pakistan captain Ramiz Raja on Twitter

"Sehwag, the greatest slaughterer of bowling since IVA Richards."

Derek Pringle, cricket writer with the Daily Telegraph and former England player

Mods thanks for merging the thread. :)

Re: Sehwag hits 219 & surpasses Sachin, becomes highest scorer in ODIs

anish_sha said:
oh i missed it.. whens the next highlights?

I also missed the first 10 overs :S

They may show it tomorrow morning.... maybe . . . :)

Back