The Nokia 808 thread (Now available for Preorder @ Rs.2000)

Should I, shouldn't I? Can't decide whether belle will float my boat :S Articles like this do keep me confused - 15 reasons why I'm back on a diet of Symbian after a week of eating Ice Cream Sandwich Let me try and see how many points are valid for me -

1. Camera - well, d'uh!
2. Speaker - As long as I can hear the ringtone, its fine for me.
3. Always-on clock - Really. Why isn't there a proper app for this in android? The few I've tried aren't friendly with the battery. Or is this android's fault?
4. Multitasking - Interesting. I have encountered this problem a few times. Does android really do proper multitasking?
5. Remote controlled audio - Not interested.
6. Battery life - I've gotten used to carrying around my charger :(
7. Build quality - Guess this will differ from model to model. I don't mind my SGS's plasticky feel.
8. Size - :p Bigger the better!!!
9. Multi-service micro blogging - No use to me.
10. Sat nav - One of android's biggest disadvantages. The paid maps are quite expensive.
11. Music quality - Wolfson dac on my SGS is good enuf for me.
12. Profiles - Never used profiles, but surely there is an app for this.
13. Landscape - 3rd party launcher :p
14. Micro SD - That is a problem with the GNex.
15. micropool - ehh?

So lets see: The 808 scores in 1,3,4,6,and 10. Now I'll have to make a list of the things I like in android.

Should I, shouldn't I? Can't decide whether belle will float my boat :S Articles like this do keep me confused - 15 reasons why I'm back on a diet of Symbian after a week of eating Ice Cream Sandwich Let me try and see how many points are valid for me -

1. Camera - well, d'uh!
3. Always-on clock - Really. Why isn't there a proper app for this in android? The few I've tried aren't friendly with the battery. Or is this android's fault?
4. Multitasking - Interesting. I have encountered this problem a few times. Does android really do proper multitasking?
7. Build quality - Guess this will differ from model to model. I don't mind my SGS's plasticky feel.
10. Sat nav - One of android's biggest disadvantages. The paid maps are quite expensive.
15. micropool - ehh?

So lets see: The 808 scores in 1,3,4,6,and 10. Now I'll have to make a list of the things I like in android.
Its Steve Litchfield :p So that is to be expected.
Well camera is undisputed WIN over anything out there as far as 808 is concerned. Thats the only reason this phone even makes sense to be honest. SO point 1 is no brainer.
Always on Clock : There are alternatives for Android including night clock, but I wont put my screen through that. Not on premium device. I dont want a chance of burn in in that area.
Multitasking patches / tweaks are there. And there are couple of options in developer options you can play with in ICS device.
Battery life : you pay the price for the modern smartphone functionality and screen size.
Satnav : again offline navigation options are available.

Frankly 808 is to be purchased only for its imaging capabilities. That is the only thing that makes it even closely worth 30k. Nothing else. Symbian is way too behind in apps development at this point to be considered as a serious smartphone platform. But it is still a very good work phone and 808 is damn good camera with phone attached to it :p

1. Camera - well, d'uh!
15. micropool - ehh?

Well, honestly you are fit for either the Galaxy Pop for Nokia's 110.

You were like hell bent on proving that poor guy's post wrong.

Battery life : you pay the price for the modern smartphone functionality and screen size.
Satnav : again offline navigation options are available.

But he says symbian is better at idling, so gets more out of the battery for normal usage. And about satnav, I don't know any free offline maps. Sygic+MapmyIndia maps cost over 2K.

Well, honestly you are fit for either the Galaxy Pop for Nokia's 110.

You were like hell bent on proving that poor guy's post wrong.

:p There is no right or wrong. That guy made clear this is his personal usage pattern. I'm just trying to figure out if it applies to me. What exactly will I gain and lose if I switch my SGS for the 808?

%

Nope, nothing free. We have to pay for the offline navigation on android. But you can cache google maps for short distance navigation.
You need to consider the symbian also does not have any satnav as a part of OS. ITs nokia which is giving us the navigation as part of the phone. We are paying for it in the price of the phone. You get this in Nokia running on different OS as well (WP7)
Idle usage of phones like One X and Note is now excellent. They hardly drop 1-2% of battery life overnight. Its the screens that eat up most of the juice followed by the powerful dual and quad core chips in modern Android phones.

Frankly at this point, I consider Symbian Belle a better and more powerful phone platform than WP7. Its the apps factor that is the real problem. I like Belle more than I like WP7, but I cant live with Belle being my primary phone OS. Its just not going to happen after tasting Android.

From where ? Is it from flipkart ? ...please do some review.

No review till date.....Steve Litchfield disappoint me....as well as GSM Arena.

^Mostly from Sound Out at Heera Panna, he said he will have it by tomorrow.
How can Steve/GSMArena review when Nokia haven't even sent them review pieces yet?

^That's a good price even though 26k would be ideal price IMO.

In that GSMArena Blind test we can easily say option E is PureView .

Back