Samsung Galaxy S Family Thread

medpal

Resident Medic
Skilled
Mar 16, 2005
The City of Diamonds.
@amitjakhar and @viralbug
Thanks for advise yes CM roms are good, my phone (T mobile G1) is running CM6 based on froyo.

right now the phone in question is on Trigger 3.2 final, kernel I am not sure about will see in phone.

So in vibrant you need to have one more step aka after wiping go back to stock wipe and then install the custom ROM.

Now question is what is the role of kernel and do we flash it before rom or after rom?

And another question what are modems? are they same as radios in earlier devices, in which order do we flash them?

Sorry for multiple questions but as I am running short of time now a days I have to rely on specific help from you friends :) (XDA is an ocean of information, to fine the useful info is headache :p)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

PS : viralbug can you pm me your latest mobile no. the one which I have seems to be changed, and I failed to save new from which you called during Surat meet :(

viralbug

Skilled
Mar 7, 2007
Navi Mumbai
PM'ed my number.

It depends on the rom you are flashing if you need to go to stock or not. Most of the Froyo roms don't require it, but it's always better to go to stock first and then flash a new rom. Also it is always recommended to wipe before flashing a new rom.

For most Gingerbread roms, you will mostly likely have to flash to stock first.

Modems are the same as radios.

Kernels should be flashed after flashing the rom. Each rom flashes it's own kernel and modem, so if you want to flash another kernel/modem of your choice, it should be after flashing the rom.

Kernel's function is basically the same as in PC. It is an interface between the hardware and the OS/rom.

Read the stickies and also the specific rom threads on how to flash so you don't mess up. :p Also keep in mind, after every rom or even kernel you flash, you need to re-calibrate your battery. Use the battery calibration app for that.

Hells_Fury

Disciple
Aug 21, 2006
Bangalore
Am thinking of getting the Samsung Galaxy S I9000. Just one question - How is the GPS in the current batch of phones? I have heard that the early phones had a lot of GPS issues.

memnom

Adept
Nov 21, 2006
Guys whats the best ROM for Captivate? need decent battery life, dependable stability, call recording abilities is a plus.

I can choose one for Vibrant but captivate is not my forte.

any help is appreciated.

aradhakr84

Adept
Jul 7, 2011
For me personally, I love and stand by CM7 nightly. I am waiting for their next stable release. This ROM has given me everything like better battery life (better than other ROMs), stable with Glitch kernel and overclocking to 1.4 GHz. Do not know about the call recording abilities.

bigbyte

Skilled
May 14, 2007
AFAIK no gingerbread ROM offers in built call recording abilities, though it may be possible using some softwares. I welcome to be corrected.

memnom

Adept
Nov 21, 2006
GB is not necessary unless other wise it offers so much improvement over Froyo.

But then again , call recording is an added perk more than anything.

@bigbyte, in case of Froyo which would u suggest?

Gauge

Adept
May 14, 2011
Apex for me has been the ROM in terms of battery life. Also give a look at Pinnacle, it is from the same Dev, based on the KH3 module.

memnom

Adept
Nov 21, 2006
@gauge / bigbyte thanks for the info guys.

Hows serendipity? Seems to be one of the most popular ROMs available?

Also there is a darkys 10.2 Rom with GB could some light be shed on that?

sumatrix

Skilled
Sep 28, 2009
bengaluru
i am facing a peculiar problem with my SGS2. when i press the power button ,there is some lag for the lock screen to come up.also some lag when i scroll the msgs in my inbox. really frustrating to see this lag. any idea what might have happened??

prime

Skilled
Nov 22, 2008

drck

Disciple
Jun 25, 2010
hyderabad
Installed my first custom ROM. Now on simply honey 5.1. With talon kernel. Phone is stable. battery life is good. No hanging problem. Anyone tried cm7.1 stable? Give review.

Sent from my GT-I9000

raghul

The Reaper Is Here
Disciple
Jun 25, 2010
Mumbai
hel2.com
in the past 2 days i have flashed almost 4-5 kernals and 6-7 roms...and at last stopped at MIUI for now :D and its very stable till now.. been using it for the past 12 hrs ..... loaded it with around 150 apps and stil still going good no lags, sometimes some FCs, and the drain is a bit bad.. have to do more re search on kernels though...i have just been flashing random kernels and roms :p

but yah simplyhoney + talon kernel is one of the stablest rom+kernel i have seen..

Ethan_Hunt

Secret Agent Man
Skilled
May 12, 2005
Bombay
So I finally found out that the Galaxy Vibrant 4G from T-Mobile now has an official update for Gingerbread. So since my mobile has been on Bionix Frost for long enough, I think I'll just update the phone. I'm aware that I'll loose the "root" feature, but my query is will I loose my network unlock? Also will the contacts on the phone memory be wiped off too?

Gauge

Adept
May 14, 2011
^^ Well, Yes! I was on ICS Build 9 by TeamHACKSUNG. Some bugs were there.
-Battery life was not good at all.
-Videos needed Software Encoding to play.
-Music player got shutdown itself after 10-12min of playing.
-Frequent reboots
-And other lot of problems.

So finally i gave up and switched back to the old good GalnetMIUI. the best CM7 rom for me so far without any glitches.