Samsung Galaxy S Family Thread

Thanks Darky got the answer at GingerZen thread as well at xda. Dont know man I just got myself Vibrat few days back, still learning. I know you have been using it for long time. I must say this is great device. So how is gingerzen should I shift to it leaving CM7? Specially battery how good is that?

Regarding CM7, Battery, GPS and lack of Samsung style contact and messaging put me off. Installed GingerZen today afternoon, so its too early to say about battery life and other issues. So far its damn impressive.

Darky said:
^ Try out new JVR base i.e GingerZen, butter smooth and battery also seems to be good.

Yeah said the same in the post above you. :)

CM7 kinda sucks, the videos which play default on Vibrant dont work. The ported Juwe's Smart Edition was able to play the videos.

btw what is this deal with JVR and JVQ?

I really want to try GingerZen but unfortunately, his theme just puts me off. :p
I flashed Malice 5.0 (based on JVR) last night. Doesn't feel that smooth to me. But maybe that's because I'm coming from CM7 which was just simply amazing. Didn't like the theme color either. :p

EDIT: Actually. GingerZen doesn't look that bad. :p Downloading now.

I installed GingerZen and I did not like it at all specially theme and speed was no way near to CM7, I am back to Trigger CM7, its so fast and ubber smooth. Love it :eek:hyeah:

I think nothing can beat CM7. Colors are amazing too using voodoo color setting.

Hey Guys,

I got a new Galaxy S today which has a Software version JM1/JPK/JM1.

When i connect it to Kies, it says 'This version of the device cannot be updated'. I am on Eclair which feels so so old. I tried some registry tricks suggested in XDA, however nothing worked and its still the same :(

Please advise what to do to get the update to Gingerbread officially?

^^ Do you have Galaxy S Indian version or one of the Galaxy S variants (US Model)? If you have Galaxy S Indian version, why not update it through service center? The official gingerbread has not yet been released officially for Galaxy S variants (US Models) For the Indian version, you can always update it through service center easily and also for free (If under warranty period)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

I have a Captivate (I897UCJF6) which is rooted and running custom CM7 nightly #72 ROM with Glitch Kernel V11 HL. Currently running at 1.44 ghz Max and 100 Mhz Min.

My question is:

1) My battery temperature is 39 - 47 degrees C when using it. When idle, it is around 27 - 34 degrees C. Is this normal for battery temp to go high as 47 degrees?

Any other members with overclocked captivate can maybe share their experience regarding this.

^ I was on 1.42 ghz bullent kernel while using Juwe's rom..dint have such high temperatures. I am on vibrant though.

On the other note, GingerZen dint really impress me. Going back to Juwe's Smart Edition rom, it was fast and looked slick.

I am porting my ROM to Vibrant and Cappy. I'll let you guys know as soon as I release it. :)

Now you'll have something to say about my work :)

Hi all, please help me. While trying to get a gps lock using google maps, maps suddenly crashed and my vibrant hanged. Had to remove battery and restart. Now my accelerometer is not working :(. Nothing happens when I turn my phone sideways. Also the needle does not move while using the compass app. I have tried the horizontal calibration in settings but to no avail. Also I am unable to reset the magnetometer by that figure of eight thing. I am on froyo 2.2 on vibrace rom.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

sharktale1212 said:
The vibrant port is already being done by this guy.

[ROM][PORT](WIP) Jetpack ROM For Vibrant - xda-developers

Yeah, was about to post the link :p Philliple97 PMed me about the port, I really liked an idea, I decided to give him permission to port my ROM. Let's see how good he can do..

viralbug said:
^ Try reflashing the rom, preferably a clean wipe.

That fellow does quite a few ports. :D

^ Yeah. I've just coded an application which will work as customization tool for Jetpack ROM. I'll be including multiple kernels, modems and themes into a zip file. There won't be separate WIPE, NO-WIPE zip files, I'll release a single zip file (~200mb) which will contain multiple kernels, modems and themes. You only have to select wipe status, kernel, modem, theme from my application and Apply the settings. Once you apply it, my installation script will do the job :)

Few more MB's in CWM zip is not a bad idea as you'll get freedom of choosing whatever kernel, modem and theme you want :)

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Hello Vibrant users,

I've managed to port Jetpack ROM v3.0 to Vibrant.

Link - [ROM][PORT](8/13/11) Jetpack v3.0 - xda-developers

Test it. :)

I have just purchased Vibrant version of Galalxy S from Cisco_tech.

Which ROM better for general purpose use, document viewing and little bit of music and photography? The person will not tinker with any settings but rely on my ability to restore things so STABILITY IS MOST IMPORTANT.

Do we flash like in earlier devices aka Google G1 or other methods and other things to be noted.

Which screen guard is better?

TIA.

^^ Trigger is the most stable ROM I used till date and battery life is amazing too with Bali kernel. I am giving you the link-

[ROM] Trigger 3.2 Final » EDT » 5/3/11 » "When in doubt, re-read OP!" - xda-developers

[KERNEL] Bali-X 1.2GHz | Bali 1.8.8 "Extended Battery Life" [7/8/2011] - xda-developers

Project V ROM is also higly appreciated by memebers but I have not tested it as I have moved to CM7 now and once you do that there is no turning back. The only problem with CM7 is battery life is bad. Otherwise its super fast.

Link to project V if you wanna try-

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1105037

Instructions are giving on thread, I am not aware of method which used to work on G1, here with Vibrant you need to Odin it back to stock firmware(flash stock firmware using odin software) if you want to install custom ROM.

Download this tool to flash it back to factory setting or if its already on stock firmware just root it and install the CWR and flash the downloaded ROM.

[PROGRAM] AIO Vibrant Toolbox 2.5 *Beginners Start Here* Also for advanced users - xda-developers

It has all the things that required to do the operation of Vibrant :)

medpal said:
I have just purchased Vibrant version of Galalxy S from Cisco_tech.

Which ROM better for general purpose use, document viewing and little bit of music and photography? The person will not tinker with any settings but rely on my ability to restore things so STABILITY IS MOST IMPORTANT.

Do we flash like in earlier devices aka Google G1 or other methods and other things to be noted.

Instructions are giving on thread, I am not aware of method which used to work on G1, here with Vibrant you need to Odin it back to stock firmware(flash stock firmware using odin software) if you want to install custom ROM.

Download this tool to flash it back to factory setting or if its already on stock firmware just root it and install the CWR and flash the downloaded ROM.

Which screen guard is better?

TIA.

Back