Recommend a Laptop <65k.

babu.mohan10 said:
As for service, ask HP to provide extended warranty on your laptop and let us know what you are told :) HP has stopped offering extended warranty is not honoring the extended warranties issued earlier. And this is not old news, quite recent in fact. That to me does not seem like seriousness from HP's part.
Are you sure about this? did anyone who owns a HP laptop confirm this? now dont point me to that article where someone wrongly got extended warranty on his imported laptop and later when tried to claim it was found that laptop is not supported here and money was returned back to him.

^^

I don't even know what that article is nor did I read it. You can ask any guy who owns a DV6 6017 or 6121 whether or not it is possible to get extended warranty. The answer will be NO. At least AFAIK.

If HP was offering extended warranty on the DV6 it would have been easier to recommend but unfortunately that is not the case.

A guy here who was confused between XPS 15, DV5, CB15 was keen on getting Dv6 but did not as he was told that there was no way he could get extended warranty on the machine. It only comes with 1 year onsite complete cover. And considering HP's reliability track record it is not difficult to imagine the disadvantage of not getting extended warranty.

The extended warranty is available in other countries like US but for some strange reason not in India.

^^Did that person ask in HP service centres? will have to ask someone to get confirmation on this, and the same thing can be said about sony vaio, i wasnt able to find vaio extended warranty in a city like bangalore where we have dedicated sony centres at every corner, everyone was giving excuses like out of stock and redirecting to some other sony centres and sony care, and sony vaio doesnt have any better reliability than HP as they are also prone to motherboard failures,the only point is that HP sells 10 times that of vaio so we hear many cases of HP.

Sony Extended warranty ?

Here you go

Extended Warranty

VAIO Warranty Upgrade Packs

And as for Vaio reliability, I would appreciate if you could back up that claim with some proof. I can get you 100 links from reputed sites about HP being the worst for reliability in both notebooks and desktops. In those same surveys Sony has done better than most coming in at third among all manufacturers as regards to reliability.

In fact Vaio laptops are known for their much better than average reliability.

Sure HP sells a lot more laptops but reliability is not gauged in a way that would be "unfair" to HP.

No it does not remain on "website alone". I myself have got extended warranty and so have a few of my acquaintances. PM me the details of the Sony Centre that told you there is no extended warranty available.

And do you own a Vaio laptop or just planned to ? If you do, ill get back to you on the issue with the details on how to get extended warranty.

@others

sorry for OT

babu.mohan10 said:
No it does not remain on "website alone". I myself have got extended warranty and so have a few of my acquaintances. PM me the details of the Sony Centre that told you there is no extended warranty available.

And do you own a Vaio laptop or just planned to ? If you do, ill get back to you on the issue with the details on how to get extended warranty.

@others

sorry for OT
Do you think i am just bluffing here?? i was made to run around by sony service centres and sony centres for one month when i tried to get an extended warranty,now my warranty is over and now i have serious motherboard problems, what do you suggest?? no need of PM, it will be better if other members also benefit from the info.

I did not mean to say you are bluffing. What I meant was, not everyone is facing problems in getting Vaio extended warranty.

I will make a new topic by tomorrow on this issue and hopefully it will be helpful for the members. In the meanwhile I need your email ID.

Are you still interested in getting extended warranty for your VAIO ? Let me know. And thanks for bringing up the issue :)

babu.mohan10 said:
I did not mean to say you are bluffing. What I meant was, not everyone is facing problems in getting Vaio extended warranty.
I will make a new topic by tomorrow on this issue and hopefully it will be helpful for the members. In the meanwhile I need your email ID.
Are you still interested in getting extended warranty for your VAIO ? Let me know. And thanks for bringing up the issue :)
i tried,now the sony people are like sorry sir,1yr warranty is over, we cant do anything,they are treating like i am some HP,dell customer :rofl:

Is the life of a 58k laptop only 15 months? if yes,then i am not recommending this company to anyone, Atleast with dell we can extend our warranty even after it expires.Sending you a PM.

babu.mohan10 said:
Please confirm with your dealer whether you can get extended warranty with HP Dv6 or not and then make a post here.
And I am not comparing 1080p screen to 720p hp screen. I am comparing Dell 720p vs HP dv6, basically all 720p screens are the same and no 720p is "better" than the other. All are equally bad. And I have seen both the HP and XPS 15 720p screen and both are the same quality.

I am not going to argue further but people better trust an unbiased review website than a person who is buying the notebook himself who is expected to be defensive about his purchase.
And yes, do post here once you get confirmation from HP if they offer extended warranty on HP DV6 6017TX/6121TX.
Well, either you're a troll, or a Dell representative. You're trusting which review? The one which compares a 1080p screen against a 720p screen? Can you not understand it's a very unfair comparison?
And all 720p screens are definitely not the same, don't know where you're pulling that from.

And I've *used* an XPS 15 720p (I own one in my family), not just seen it at a showroom. The screen is very ordinary. With regards to build quality, yes, the Dell feels more solid but it's not something I'd cry over.

And mate, I'm buying a 50k notebook only after intensive research, and if you're shrugging off people who are trying to advise people on a Notebook advise forum, then I don't know what to say. I'm not 'defending' the DV6 or anything such. I'm simply saying, the 540M is NOT a card you want in your primary gaming machine.
The HP DV6 6017tx does a satisfactory job as a laptop and a brilliant job as a gaming machine.
The XPS does a great job as a laptop but a dull job as a gaming machine, esp if you don't want to get an upgrade in the next 2-3 years.

Bought the XPS 15 ultimately

Ultimately went in for the XPS 15.

Specs:

i7-base one

750GB HDD

2 year complete cover.

DVD-RW

2 GB Nvidia with optimus (blah blah)

Backlit keyboard, FHD screen

Advanced wireless.

73k approx.

Expecting it in 10 working days.

Didn't think my budget would increase, but good thing I took a relative for the purchase instead of my mom. :)

@eptheta- Good luck for your purchase!

cyanide911 said:
Well, either you're a troll, or a Dell representative. You're trusting which review? The one which compares a 1080p screen against a 720p screen? Can you not understand it's a very unfair comparison?
And all 720p screens are definitely not the same, don't know where you're pulling that from.

And I've *used* an XPS 15 720p (I own one in my family), not just seen it at a showroom. The screen is very ordinary. With regards to build quality, yes, the Dell feels more solid but it's not something I'd cry over.

And mate, I'm buying a 50k notebook only after intensive research, and if you're shrugging off people who are trying to advise people on a Notebook advise forum, then I don't know what to say. I'm not 'defending' the DV6 or anything such. I'm simply saying, the 540M is NOT a card you want in your primary gaming machine.
The HP DV6 6017tx does a satisfactory job as a laptop and a brilliant job as a gaming machine.
The XPS does a great job as a laptop but a dull job as a gaming machine, esp if you don't want to get an upgrade in the next 2-3 years.
Well, this whole debate would never have begun had you not misread my post where I mentioned the XPS 15 was the better laptop. I never mentioned it being better for games. Anyways, good to see finally you do agree that the XPS 15 is the better laptop of the two.
And you did not answer the question I asked you, Is HP providing extended warranty on your laptop ? Just a simple Yes or NO answer please.

babu.mohan10 said:
Well, this whole debate would never have begun had you not misread my post where I mentioned the XPS 15 was the better laptop. I never mentioned it being better for games. Anyways, good to see finally you do agree that the XPS 15 is the better laptop of the two.
And you did not answer the question I asked you, Is HP providing extended warranty on your laptop ? Just a simple Yes or NO answer please.
As far as I know, no company provides extended warranty at the time of purchase. How can I say yes or no to your question? They only do after two-six months of usage.
And I've heard as many extended warranty problems with HP as I have with Sony or Dell.

^^No buddy, HP is not providing extended warranty option on DV series laptops :) You can confirm the same with any DV6 6017 owners or HP India. That is the reason I mentioned that XPS 15 is the safer choice as you can get 1+ 3 years extended warranty with it at the time of purchase. Of course the HP Dv6 is a great choice for gamers but the lack of an extended warranty option is a major concern as laptop repairs can cost a huge amount. And definitely a lot more than the difference between HP Dv6 and XPS 15 with FHD screen prices.
So gamers in a budget should definitely go ahead with HP Dv6 but also think about the lack of extended warranty option as it makes a lot of difference and can save you from unnecessary troubles in the future.

Back