Recommend a Laptop <65k.

eptheta

Disciple
I'll try and be as comprehensive as I can:

Budget: max 65k (but better if its somewhere between 50-60k)

Primary Use:

-Moderate Gaming: as of 2011, games like Crysis2, Fallout NV, Portal 2 etc. (Hoping to play all on high graphics)

Secondary Uses:

-Programming: Just basic Java/C programming, nothing really too CPU intensive.

-Watching Movies

Size and Weight: Screen Size of 15.6" or more. Doesn't have to be 'too' light.

Brand: Any really, as long as they are reliable (I'm guessing that there have been extensive discussions on this forum, and I'm new here so, whatever is reliable)

I was thinking of buying the Dell XPS 15 with a 2GB Nvidia GT540M but if there are any better ones, please do suggest them.

I've seen the alien-ware laptops, but they are waay too expensive.

Thank you.

GT540M is a 144 shader part, will perform a fait bit, but not that much faster than Llano's integrated, and I'm guessing Llano with the Hybrid CFx will be a better option, might be cheaper too, yet faster.

comp@ddict said:
GT540M is a 144 shader part, will perform a fait bit, but not that much faster than Llano's integrated, and I'm guessing Llano with the Hybrid CFx will be a better option, might be cheaper too, yet faster.
Errr.... Its a 96 shader GPU. heck even the GT550M is only 96 shaders. Only the GT555M is a 144 shader part.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

AnandTech - The AMD Llano Notebook Review: Competing in the Mobile Market

Hybrid XFire seems to be not that great. Buggy drivers. Would be better off with integrated or dedicated high end card in case of Llano.

Also Dell hasnt even announced its lineup and there is still not a single laptop on retail even in the US. So might take couple of months to have fair availability in India

@OP - Stick to the config you have selected. Will do good for your usage :)

Thanks for the feedback! I have a few more questions about the XPS 15 though.

Configure it with Core i5 2410M, 2GB GT-540M, Full-HD screen & backlit keyboard.
There is an option to get a Core i7-2630QM (2.0 Ghz-overclocked to 2.9Ghz) for +3k Rupees
OR
i7-2720QM(2.2 Ghz-overclocked to 2.9Ghz) for +12k Rupees :S
instead of the i5 2410M. Should I consider these options ? Is it worth choosing the i7 over the i5 for that price ?

Configure it with Core i5 2410M, 2GB GT-540M, Full-HD screen & backlit keyboard.
I can live without the backlit keyboard, but F-HD screen costs +6k. Is max resolution the only difference between FHD and HD ?

The total cost with i7-2630QM, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M, Full HD screen and 8GB Dual-channel 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM comes to 67.5k.

Should I or should I not ? Should I leave out the extra 4GB ram and upgrade it only if/when I need it in the future ? Cause I was hoping to get it down to 60-65k...
Thanks.

Upgrade the RAM when needed. Dont do it now. Take the i7 2630QM, GT 540M and FHD. The FHD screen of the XPS is among the best 15.6" FHD laptop screens.

The normal screen is well just another run of the mill screen you will find in the laptops.

There is a lot of difference between the normal 720p display and 1080p display of dell as i have personally checked out both,so just select the 1080p option.

Dump the extra RAM. They are expensive when you buy from the manufacturer. Just buy them offmarket & install it by yourself.

Go for the i7 if it comes in your budget.

Another question that has been bugging me:

The i5 is clocked at 2.3Ghz (base speed) while the i7 is clocked at only 2.0Ghz..

What's up with that ?

Also, pauldmps, I saw this on another thread :

"First of all, then New XPS 15 is not a good choice for gaming. The GPU sucks, IMO."

Should I be worried ? Or were you just comparing it to hardcore gaming machines (out of my budget) ?

Hybrid XFire seems to be not that great. Buggy drivers. Would be better off with integrated or dedicated high end card in case of Llano.

no no you missed the point, considering this review was on internal provided drivers, we can only expect performance to improve. And I'm very optimistic.

Why? Seen HD6000 CFx scaling lately? almost 100% everywhere...

There's this HP laptop which is almost unbelievable value - HP Pavilion dv6-6017tx Entertainment Notebook PC (LQ460PA) specifications - HP Home & Home Office products. It has identical specs to the MBP 15, except with a far superior GPU, for exactly half the price. There's one stupid thing about the laptop - it's got just 1 channel of RAM. But given how cheap it is might as well upgrade to another 4GB of RAM for the second channel. The display must be mediocre too, but, they are giving a quad core CPU and a HD 6770M for Rs. 52k! Must be a typo, right? XPS 15 is a better option overall, but HP is simply better for gaming - HD 6770M has quite a bit more muscle than GT 540M.

^^ Excellent find, I think that's an amazing lappy. It's not a typo btw.

If that laptop could be configured for dual channel 4GB, FHD display, and a HD6870M GPU instead, under 65k 'm sure, it would be a BEAST.

I already knew about the HP lappy. But I am not at all fan of HPs design, ASS or cooling solutions. So unless there is a commendable review (which I was unable to find) suggesting the laptop not being volcanic, I'd never suggest it to anyone.

GT-540 is really on the higher side of the mid-end GPU lineup. Most games would run fine on high settings. The reason I was disappointed in that thread was because I had expected something better from Dell for its premium XPS series. But Dell decided to save up for its Alienware laptops.

I know some of you may not like HP ASS, but DELL Configuration is missing that SUCKER PUNCH with poor 540M GPU.
Best Configuration in the Present Time Laptop is brought by HP. check
HP Pavilion DV6 Series DV6-6121TX Laptop HP Pavilion DV6 Core i7 2630QM, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 2GB HD6770M ~55k
It has got 2GB GPU and HD6770 is far better than 540M GPU offered by Dell.

Amax said:
I know some of you may not like HP ASS, but DELL Configuration is missing that SUCKER PUNCH with poor 540M GPU.
Best Configuration in the Present Time Laptop is brought by HP. check
HP Pavilion DV6 Series DV6-6121TX Laptop HP Pavilion DV6 Core i7 2630QM, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, 2GB HD6770M ~55k
It has got 2GB GPU and HD6770 is far better than 540M GPU offered by Dell.
That is awesome !!! 2GB DDR5 GPU !
The only problem is it doesn't have a FHD screen like the XPS but it's still amazing !
Can everyone else give their opinion because I think Amax has found a winner :clap:

Bump... Anyone ?

eptheta said:
The only problem is it doesn't have a FHD screen like the XPS but it's still amazing !
Can everyone else give their opinion because I think Amax has found a winner :clap:

Bump... Anyone ?
I had talked to the vendor, he gave me the specification for display of dv6-6121TX

Widescreen BrightView LED Display
15.6"(39.2cm) LED Backlit WideScreen
1366x768 HD(720p); 16:9 True Wide Aspect Ratio

Today I went to the HP guy at lamington road and sat there for 1/2 an hour playing crysis 2 at the highest graphics level. It didn't overheat too much. The only thing left is to find someone (cyanide911) who already has it and ask his opinion about reliability and how it does when left on for 2-3 hours (in case he does want to).
Cyanide, have you already bought yours ?

eptheta said:

Bump... Anyone ?

Price is 52k, nothing beyond this. If you are into gaming strictly, this is the laptop to get. Don't pass it.

WARNING TO OP: HP DV6 61xx laptops have problems running OpenGL apps like Photoshop on it's graphic card.
The DV6 60xx series if FINE. It has HD6770M 1 GB instead of 2GB. But this extra memory on a graphic card is actually useless.
PLUS the 61xx's card is NOT overclockable whereas 60xx's is VERY overclockable with great results.

People, please spread this info to everyone asking for advice here in this price range. They'll suffer a lot if they are heavy users of Photoshop and other adobe products. I myself have bought a 6017tx after a week of trying to find one.

FAQ: If you are thinking or have ordered your DV6/7 61xx read here for answers on switchable graphics

Back