Rape Case: Should Uber be accountable? [Uber Banned Across India]

I agree with Nemesis.. We have a problem at the very core of our society which is corrupt and only wants to cheat at every instance. You can get any license and approval if you bribe the right people. Services like these wont work in India without a significant change in mindset of people.

It is the fault of the users for not clearly checking up and doing their research before availing such services. You don't use a service like Uber to get a cab late night and going alone in a semi conscious state. gender does not even matter here. it is not safe for either male or female.

While I agree with you on all counts, I would prefer this sentence to be reworded. The user might have been naive, careless or, heck, even stupid to have availed of such a service in the capital of India at such a time of the night, but it was definitely not a fault.

^^ Actually, I think its the Delhi Police that has banned them, not the Govt. itself. While Uber takes no liability, they apparently do perform some basic screening process and it seems they mainly rely on the police certificates for verification of the drivers. Since this guy had a police certificate giving him clean chit, it must have been embarrassing for the police. So they are trying to put the focus back on Uber. They are calling it a fake certificate and you can bet that they will try to pin it as well on Uber. They have apparently registered a Sec 420 cheating case against the Uber's managers, but not sure what it is for.

While I agree with you on all counts, I would prefer this sentence to be reworded. The user might have been naive, careless or, heck, even stupid to have availed of such a service in the capital of India at such a time of the night, but it was definitely not a fault.

The user can be called naive or stupid if they knew very well how the service operates and still opted for it. They can be called careless if they didn't even bother to check how the service operates before using it. When you suffer consequences because of any of the above, you cannot deny your own role towards that end.

When you put your hand into a fire, it will burn you. there is no doubt its the fire that's burned you and that it will burn the hand of anybody else who dares to put their hand anywhere near it. You can demand that the fire be put out after it burned you and you can ask for all fires to be put out and you can blame the person who started the fire for being negligent, but still whether you are native, ignorant, careless or stupid when you put your hand in the fire, you cannot deny your own role and you cannot undo the consequences you suffered.

In this particular case, there is not an iota of doubt that the culprits at fault and and there is no changing it, he would have done it with somebody else if not her if he had a similar opportunity and he is not the only criminal who would have done it. There are a lot of other people and this countries laws to blame for why such people are outside free to commit crimes. But still, why did she end up being the victim? Her actions were also to blame to put her into harms way. Its not victim blaming and neither I am I being gender biased or something. It would be the same thing whether it is a man or woman.

If you hire a cab and the driver is driving recklessly and you don't bother and the cab meets with an accident and you suffer injuries, whose fault is it? The driver is no doubt at fault, but it is also your fault for allowing yourself to be put into harms way.

Here is my experience, I have been using cab services almost everyday for the past 12 years (company and personal) in the NCR region:

1. Most of the times all the driver has: skill of driving and a valid state permit for commercial vehicles.
2. Not much background check is done.
3. Most of the drivers are the scum of society and are quite boorish and misbehave with clients.
4. The vendor companies do have a commitment with the transport admin. for verification and character check of the drivers. This step is usually opaque (highly) and is easily circumvented. Many a times the vendor provides a kick-back to the admin. staff, and this step in nod-winked to approval status.
5. The vendor company is many a times run by owl-hoot personnel who happened to get a lot of cash (usually selling rural real estate which has migrated to urban), who is uneducated, brash, and has no normalcy for societal functions or civil behavioral mechanisms.
6. If a driver misbehaves with entity A (company / MNC / transport service), he is reprimanded verbally and seamlessly migrated to entity B -so- is still within the system.
7. The drivers are over worked and 18H shifts are normal.
8. They are grossly underpaid.
9. They are untrustworthy and lie a lot. (Both vendors and drivers).
10. There is no system in place which binds all traffic / road offenses to a DL. Even if there is: bribery negates this, and all come out clean.

Basically transport services of this type run on one word: Guarantee. Customer ----> Driver ----> Vendor ----> Owner. The latter three in this chain, care nothing for trust, the safety of the passengers, or any CC requiem. We Indians as a populace center have not even an iota of essence which speaks for: trust, value of life and/or the plight of woman-hood. It is rotten, sad, and sickening all combined at the same time.

Let the M & P (media and politicians) play the fiddle akin Nero, while we dance a jig for protest and frustration.

The user can be called naive or stupid if they knew very well how the service operates and still opted for it. They can be called careless if they didn't even bother to check how the service operates before using it. When you suffer consequences because of any of the above, you cannot deny your own role towards that end.....

I am sure the victim knew about the dangers. Maybe she was too naive or carelessly brazen to think it would happen to her or maybe her inebriated state clouded her better judgement. But I cannot seem to mark this as a fault. A fire's natural tendency is to burn and that makes fire useful as well. So knowing that, if you put in your hand, the blame lies squarely on you. But Man's natural tendency is NOT to rape. So if she was expecting normal behavior from a cab driver for his service, I would not put that as a fault.

Anyway we are going offtopic and we anyway agree on the crux of the matter. :)

^^ As I said before, it has become a fashion in India to go after the wrong people instead of focussing on the root issue. What even ridiculous is that even the actual culprits will not get or suffer as much punishment as the unrelated entities. They want to ban Uber (who were relying on the certificates issued by the police, but they don't talk about why this guy is roaming outside despite having two other cases in the past.

The way things are in this country, The day won't be far off Mark Zuckerberg would be called in to get arrested every time somebody carelessly goes to meet some unknown Facebook acquaintance and becomes victim of a crime.

What the heck is the use of banning taxi services if not an attempt to save their own face? People in this country are rotten to the core. They don't fear the law. Fix that situation first.

What the heck is the use of banning taxi services if not an attempt to save their own face? People in this country are rotten to the core. They don't fear the law. Fix that situation first.

Like blaming the mobile operators for all the crime "discussed" using their air-waves...! Seriously, ya. It is the core which is malignant.

hmmm going by same logic , rape happened in bus last year , ban all buses , rape happened when walking on road , ban all walking?

implement some gulf laws and see the changes

No matter what everyone's gut reaction is medieval barbarity is not the answer.

A better judicial system that works these cases quicker and perhaps dealing with the victims with better care is the alternative that is more likely to get you results.

Of course part of the problem is still rooted in our male first culture. Especially in rural areas.

Nitin Gadkari opposes ban on cabs, says need to fix the system

Gadkari said, "Train main hua to train band kar de, bus main hua to bus band kar de, taxi main hua to taxi band kar de, iss tarah ki baat theek nahi hai. (It is not right to shut down the service. If the incident has happened in train, then shut down train, if it happens in bus, then shut down bus and if in taxi, then shut down taxi. Such steps are not right)."

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/delhi-ra...says-need-to-fix-the-system/517245-37-64.html

----------------------------

Take a Bow Sir.

Nitin Gadkari opposes ban on cabs, says need to fix the system

Gadkari said, "Train main hua to train band kar de, bus main hua to bus band kar de, taxi main hua to taxi band kar de, iss tarah ki baat theek nahi hai. (It is not right to shut down the service. If the incident has happened in train, then shut down train, if it happens in bus, then shut down bus and if in taxi, then shut down taxi. Such steps are not right)."

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/delhi-ra...says-need-to-fix-the-system/517245-37-64.html

----------------------------

Take a Bow Sir.

Some common sense.

We are always too quick to ban things to "fix" stuff.

Urban, is no better. To be honest..!

True but percentages would be a little better. I would hope so.

This is the reason me & family use local taxi service when going to station/airport and take government pre paid taxi from station/airport.
As for local use of cabs, I'm sorry but I blame the person / girl in this case. Knowing the track record of the city you stay in, you cannot put yourself in such a big risk being passed out drunk. Guys get robbed and girls get raped n robbed.

The same happens globally also. Except UK n Europe, US Brazil, Russia etc are notorious for such incidents.
Banning a service or company is stupid move. Government needs to move above this & sort the bigger issue rather than use the company as a scape goat

Back