Rape Case: Should Uber be accountable? [Uber Banned Across India]

Nitin Gadkari opposes ban on cabs, says need to fix the system

Gadkari said, "Train main hua to train band kar de, bus main hua to bus band kar de, taxi main hua to taxi band kar de, iss tarah ki baat theek nahi hai. (It is not right to shut down the service. If the incident has happened in train, then shut down train, if it happens in bus, then shut down bus and if in taxi, then shut down taxi. Such steps are not right)."

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/delhi-ra...says-need-to-fix-the-system/517245-37-64.html

----------------------------

Take a Bow Sir.
I totally agree with Gadkari, The taxi driver license system should be fixed. Infact, the entire driving license and character certificate system should be fixed. for example, here in Sydney, every taxi hire/cancellation should be reported to the department of transport by the corresponding taxi company. It is an automated system and I mean "every" taxi booking is registered in to the system.

At the same time, Uber should be banned as a quick measure for the time being. it should be reinstated only after we have fixed the system. if Uber was concerned about their reputation, they should've gone beyond the available guidelines to make the system secure. if you find an app is spreading virus, what would you do? simply ban that app in the app store right? it is as simple as that.

I totally agree with Gadkari, The taxi driver license system should be fixed. Infact, the entire driving license and character certificate system should be fixed. for example, here in Sydney, every taxi hire/cancellation should be reported to the department of transport by the corresponding taxi company. It is an automated system and I mean "every" taxi booking is registered in to the system.

At the same time, Uber should be banned as a quick measure for the time being. it should be reinstated only after we have fixed the system. if Uber was concerned about their reputation, they should've gone beyond the available guidelines to make the system secure. if you find an app is spreading virus, what would you do? simply ban that app in the app store right? it is as simple as that.

Why ban Uber? It's just an aggregator, for God's sake? If it has broken any rule punish it and audit its verification system and take steps to rectify it. But I don't think Uber has anything to do with this unfortunate incident. It could have happened with or without Uber. Only thing Uber can be found guilty of is not being able to meet the trust level of the customer and that happens with almost everybody you deal with - police, authorities, shopkeeper etc.
As you rightly pointed, don't ban the App store (it's just an aggregator) ban the app that's defective.

One must remember that these aggregators serve a purpose and they help many in the public. Banning these is another dis-service to the public.

^^ Police doesn't really care about the people, so its a moot point if you ask me.

Services like Uber uses the same agencies and pool of cab drivers that other cab companies use or even those used by corporates for their cab facility.

If this guy was working as a cab driver, surely there must be other cab services and corporates for whom he worked so far. Should we shut down these corporates and cab agencies as well?

How does anybody verify a driver? At my workplace, the contracted agency manages the process of bringing in cab drivers and running the entire facility. Verification done by my company staff for the drivers brought in is based on the police certificate. There really is no other way for any agency for corporate.

If the police is habituated to giving out this certificate to any arbitrary guy who cares to pay the requisite bribe, then clearly we have no other way of verifying in a reasonably hassle free manner.

In this particular case as well, the police had issued this serial offender a clean chit and there would be several cab agencies and corporates who must have used his cab. Now to save themselves, police pinned the blame on to one particular facilitator.

If anybody still thinks that Uber should still be blamed and made responsible, then think about it this way. On TE itself we often see people getting cheated in market sales. Should the TE, the admins and mods be made responsible and accountable for it? If some member of this forum happens to commit a crime against another. Should TE, its staff and members be made liable for it because this happened to be the place where the two met? Why does TE have disclaimers saying that the staff and members are no liability towards deals that happened on the forum?

TE is also providing a platform for people to meet, maybe primarily to exchange knowledge and ideas and as a bonus, things like the market section and Group Orders e.t.c. It all runs on trust and sincerity of the people. People are expected to understand that TE has no liability in the matter than they have to use their own good judgement.

Services like Uber are no different. They are a platform, may be a platform with a different target subject. The main issue is the people, laws and law enforcement in this country. Instead of taking steps to fix the problem at its core, focus is quickly diverted and blame put on an unrelated entity. Its the same way when a terror attack happens, people and leaders focus their energy to bash the attackers instead of trying the find and fill the holes in our own damn walls. The end result is the walls never get fixed leaving them open for further attacks and the same is drama is repeated again.

This case with Uber is like a case with any celebrity figure caught at the wrong side of the law. Both are victims of convenience.

You obviously cant blame the victim because thats just wrong. I mean how can you blame her for being totally irresponsible about her behavior, she is a woman after all, the entitled sex. I can imagine it must be a very traumatic experience for her but I am also a brother, a husband and a father to a daughter and for me, she is an example rather than a victim. Not only in India but in the entire world, whether you are a boy or a girl, you need to take responsibility for your safety. Otherwise there should be a law which requires personal security officers to be provided by the police to all the women because thats the only way to prevent such incidents.

You can't blame the Police for not adhering to established practices of verification. Apparently there is no cross checking of facts between police stations in Delhi. So if you commit a crime in an area coming under the Connaught Place Police Station and then move to Saket and go to Saket Police Station for a verification certificate, they would give you a clean chit as there are no cases ever registered against you in THAT police station. Whats more, they would also not physically verify your address provided at the time of verification and will just take your word. This is their ESTABLISHED process which requires no bribing. Of course you can still get a clean chit even if you are known criminal by flashing a few extra Gandhis.

The politicians obviously cant be blamed, they are busy raping anyway, the country that is. Who has time to do some actual work and come out with policies which actually work when it is much easier just to ban something which they dont have any need for anyway? I mean which minister or his/her kin would ever have use for a cab service when they have an entire fleet of cars maintained by the exchequer?

Its easier to ban as that sends the signal to our very enlightened populace that steps have been taken to prevent such things from happening again. The rapist would be forgotten in about a months time, probably out on bail while undergoing trial which would last for a few years at the end of which he MIGHT see some jail time. That is if he gets convicted in the first place.

The only one I can blame in this entire episode is the media. Rather than supporting the government in blaming Uber they should try and focus on flaws in the govt policy. The govt only woke up to Uber's existence after this incident, why was it not cited earlier? Who should be held accountable for the forged verification certificate produced by the driver and how has the govt. allowed such an important document to be forged so easily? Why does our legal system allow a COMPROMISE to be reached between a rapist and the victim leading to dropping of all charges? I mean its akin to giving a person the license to rape. Rape, compromise, repeat. There are so many other issues on which the media could focus to raise awareness rather than pursuing sensationalism for the sake of TRPs.

^^ Yes but the rape case caused it even if indirectly. Had there been no rape, Uber would have still been functioning. Funny thing is the RBI recently cited Uber for using a payment system which did not confirm to its policies which caused them to shift to PayTM but no one looked into their licensing at that time. Why?

UBER GOT BANNED COS OF LICENSE ISSUSES (NOT COS OF RAPE CASE)

Getting banned is not the only consequence that Uber is currently facing. The police has pinned a cheating case, pinning the blame for the certificate in the drivers possession and they are apparently trying some other legal loopholes whereby they can book the Uber executives as accomplices for the actual crime (rape).

On the other hand, despite numerous complaints and implication in various cases, this culprit has been escaping from the law either because of police negligence or cooperation.

I must also add that I really don't care what happens to Uber at the end of it, its just that by shifting focus to Uber, the actual crime and the culprit are undermined. It is all pointless if this guy is not made and example off.

Last edited:
This case with Uber is like a case with any celebrity figure caught at the wrong side of the law. Both are victims of convenience.

You obviously cant blame the victim because thats just wrong. I mean how can you blame her for being totally irresponsible about her behavior, she is a woman after all, the entitled sex. I can imagine it must be a very traumatic experience for her but I am also a brother, a husband and a father to a daughter and for me, she is an example rather than a victim. Not only in India but in the entire world, whether you are a boy or a girl, you need to take responsibility for your safety. Otherwise there should be a law which requires personal security officers to be provided by the police to all the women because thats the only way to prevent such incidents.

You can't blame the Police for not adhering to established practices of verification. Apparently there is no cross checking of facts between police stations in Delhi. So if you commit a crime in an area coming under the Connaught Place Police Station and then move to Saket and go to Saket Police Station for a verification certificate, they would give you a clean chit as there are no cases ever registered against you in THAT police station. Whats more, they would also not physically verify your address provided at the time of verification and will just take your word. This is their ESTABLISHED process which requires no bribing. Of course you can still get a clean chit even if you are known criminal by flashing a few extra Gandhis.

The politicians obviously cant be blamed, they are busy raping anyway, the country that is. Who has time to do some actual work and come out with policies which actually work when it is much easier just to ban something which they dont have any need for anyway? I mean which minister or his/her kin would ever have use for a cab service when they have an entire fleet of cars maintained by the exchequer?

Its easier to ban as that sends the signal to our very enlightened populace that steps have been taken to prevent such things from happening again. The rapist would be forgotten in about a months time, probably out on bail while undergoing trial which would last for a few years at the end of which he MIGHT see some jail time. That is if he gets convicted in the first place.

The only one I can blame in this entire episode is the media. Rather than supporting the government in blaming Uber they should try and focus on flaws in the govt policy. The govt only woke up to Uber's existence after this incident, why was it not cited earlier? Who should be held accountable for the forged verification certificate produced by the driver and how has the govt. allowed such an important document to be forged so easily? Why does our legal system allow a COMPROMISE to be reached between a rapist and the victim leading to dropping of all charges? I mean its akin to giving a person the license to rape. Rape, compromise, repeat. There are so many other issues on which the media could focus to raise awareness rather than pursuing sensationalism for the sake of TRPs.

very well said, completly agree to all the points

Our police has been worse than shoddy. R@pes have been a menace since past recent years, and we really need tighter system. Expecting clean officials is too much too soon. Today its Uber, tomorrow some other service or entirely different realm might witness (God forbids) something similar.

Picking on softer targets has seeped into our system. Get separate coach for ladies in metro, ladies only bus for commuting. Segregating and corruption of the society goes unchecked.

Cannot blame Uber totally. Our judicial system is far more than been pathetic. They just know how to raise criminals by spending crores on then just to hang them one fine day or worse let them prison escape. For the time being uber or other taxis can be banned for temporary period but only in delhi and all drivers should again get cross verified for their characters and should possess all proper verification documents but original ones here this time.
In other cities norms should be circulated asap and get the drivers verified and tighten up security checks.

One thing I can think of is to take customers feedback upon completing his journey. An sms will automatically be sent by the cab provider to the customer asking for the feedback and rating on his service. This 'll make a lot of impact pertaining to their service and that specific journey. :cool:

Police is just for eating and digesting money and hence that uber driver got another opportunity. Cant say more but now this has become a habit in Delhi. Every year or so some big rape crime is committed in Delhi which makes a big issue globally. And only then our govt. comes up with some plans which are just lost somewhere in those files. So in short crime rate is going as is and govt. is sleeping sleeping sleeping. :oops:

But no strict rules and laws and its still not gonna happen for next countless years to come. :drowning:
Our bailing amount is also a mere 2k or few thousand bucks and so even some pan wallah can grab any advocate and get anybody out on bail. :hilarious:

I felt IF uber could have provided details of the driver without much fuss, would have certainly avoided a ban. No matter whatever be the case Delhi RTO made UBER a scapegoat to cover up their laziness. Shame.

Last edited:
Back