CPU/Mobo Nvidia chipset mobo

rajil.s

Adept
Hi,
My trusty Asus M3N78 serving my htpc died. I am specifically after Nvidia chipset motherboard because I don't need to buy a graphics card separately.
Additionally I need two PCI ports, 1 onboard serial and an hdmi port.

Any recommendations?

Getting a Socket AM2 board now is very difficult. Check if your processor is compatible with the newer AM3 socket.

It is compatible with AM3+ boards. Get a new 880G board.[DOUBLEPOST=1383914598][/DOUBLEPOST]I am not sure whether a serial port comes now a days - but you can get a USB to Serial converter or PCI card which will do the same.

Any reasons for needing the PCI slot? I guess the serial port is for infrared remotes.

I need a serial port to hookup the APC ups. Serial port is much more stable than the USB port for the UPS .

The PCI slots are needed for the PVR 500 tv tuner cards.

Thanks. If I were to start from scratch, what mobo/cpu would you suggest?

I need atleast 2 cores and 64 bit support. The main cpu load is when I am doing video encoding (which I do a lot) on this htpc. Also, I only run Linux and need something which is well supported. The requirements of serial/2 pci/hdmi still remain.

If you do video encoding, I would suggest getting a i3/i5 based machine anyways.

Afterthought : Use Handbrake with Quicksync [Windoze wonly :( ]

a motherboard with rear panel I/O serial port may not be available but some motherboards with serial port header are available ... btw, there's a H61 motherboard on FK from digilite with serial port and HDMI port.

Back