Storage Solutions Network drive based backup solution

amohit

Disciple
May 20, 2009
Hi,

I am really tired of keeping backups on DVD's and external hard drives. I started looking for some easy expandable backup solution and liked the idea of network hard drives. However, I do not want to invest on new network drives right now. Then I also found out some USB to Ethernet adapters. My question here is:-

Can I use this usb to LAN adapter and connect my existing USB 2.0/3.0 external hard drives to the airtel beetle router directly and access it over the wifi?

At the later dates, when the prices of hard drives come back to there original levels, I would add a couple of 2TB hdds in the same manner.

Edit: Forgot to ask. Can the USB powered external drives be added to this setup. How would I supply power to such drives?

Regards,

Mohit

vivek.krishnan

BLR~ZRS-TX-1-MX
Skilled
Dec 18, 2009
Ghatkopar, Mumbai
plus.google.com
There is a better solution available. Get a GoFlex Net, but a SATA port multiplier and if you want to add USB devices, a USB hub.

If you want to add only USB drives and not SATA ones, get a pogoplug pro.

Else, if you want the easy way out, any x86 machine which has support for your needs (usb ports, SATA ports) + FreeNAS/Ubuntu Server/WHSv1/WHSv2.