Looking for a sub 40k laptop

logistopath

Molar Police
Staff member
Super Mod
My HP DV6516 laptop conked off a couple of days ago after faithfully serving me for 4 years; probably something to do with the graphics chip, but more on that in a separate thread. While I try to get it serviced, I would also like to prepare for buying a new laptop. My requirements are as under:

1. 12" to 14" display.

2. Should play HD content without a stutter.

3. Decent battery life.

4. Good build.

It would be used mostly for internet browsing, classroom PowerPoint presentations, watching movies, photoshopping and rare gaming, in that order.

Am looking to spend not more than 40k on this one. The cheaper, the better. To be bought in India only, online or offline. Please suggest accordingly. Have had my time with HP, so a Dell or Lenovo would be good.

P.S.: Am currently browsing through mobile, so would appreciate if you could put up brief specs of the product that you recommend in this thread itself. :) Thank you.

Great. Will that laptop be able to handle HD content without problems? What would be my options if I wanted to get the best 12" - 14" that 40k can buy, leaving aside my other requirements?

yeah intel hd3000 igp can handle 1080p with ease. The dell 14r doesnt offer much to justify the premium. Only major advantage being usb3.0 If the lenovo z470 is available you can go for that since it has a better metallic build.
P.s: me too currently on mobile. Wil post more once i get to a pc.

hellknight_mnd said:
Hey mod, see this.. Flipkart.com: HP Pavilion DV4 Series DV4-3015TX: Computer

This is best & it is under 40k as you requested.. Moreover, it has AMD 6750M GPU so you can play some games on it too..

Read OP's requirements before suggesting. He doesnt need a discrete GPU at all!

@Doc - Their z series has never been a success. So wait for reviews from notebookcheck, laptopmag, endagadget before getting one. [strike]Also i dont think it will be released in India in sync with international launch. So i guess you would have to wait a bit in order to get one.[/strike]

Edit: Inspiron 13z Laptop | Dell India

Already available in Dell India site for 36.8k (i3 2330M, 2GB RAM, 320GB 7200RPM HDD, 6-cell 65 WHr battery, USB 3.0) Quite decent for the price considering its just ~1.76kgs. But wait for reviews before getting one.

I am also looking for something similar. I found the new Dell Vostro V131 quite attractive but it is pricey (~45K for a decent config) and Dell is asking for a 1 month delivery time. I am still negotiating with them for the same. Will let you know if I get a decent deal.

PS: Anybody has any contacts in Dell?

@DA- I believe hellknight responded to the 2nd part of my query in post no.3.

I'm pretty much confused. I think I'll settle for a Dell only. 14R or 13Z or something else, I don't know. :S

^Even then thats a HP.

Also the 6750M is a good mid range card. It should be in a chassis thats 15.6" or higher. I guess it will easily heat up a 14" sub 40k notebook a lot, which cuts back costs in terms of cooling in order to price it in that range.

P.S: Apologies to hellknight if i sounded harsh.

@Doc - The 13z looks good esp. with a nice battery and specs to match that of a similarly priced 14R!

DarkAngel said:
^If Vaio one can go for this for ~29k Flipkart.com: Sony VAIO E Series VPCEG15EN: Computer

You can add 2GB RAM yourself for ~Rs.700.

So you get the same specs for ~6k less (expect the Win7 version)

Ya. But then getting genuine Windows 7 Home Premium is better I guess though the price difference is not justified.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

By the way, will this work on the lower priced Vaio?

Microsoft Windows Anytime Upgrade Win 7 Home Basic to Win 7 Home Premium: Flipkart.com: Microsoft Operating Systems

Using that upgrade, one can just upgrade the default Home Basic Windows 7 to Windows 7 Home Premium for around ~2.5K.

DarkAngel said:
^Even then thats a HP.

Also the 6750M is a good mid range card. It should be in a chassis thats 15.6" or higher. I guess it will easily heat up a 14" sub 40k notebook a lot, which cuts back costs in terms of cooling in order to price it in that range.

P.S: Apologies to hellknight if i sounded harsh.

@Doc - The 13z looks good esp. with a nice battery and specs to match that of a similarly priced 14R!

No probs bro.. I was responding to his 3rd post.. I've ordered that laptop for one of my friends just a week ago.. I'll keep you guys updated when the laptop will arrive.. IMO, that laptop is very good.. And, now HP also offers accidental damage protection which Sony doesn't..

hellknight_mnd said:
No probs bro.. I was responding to his 3rd post.. I've ordered that laptop for one of my friends just a week ago.. I'll keep you guys updated when the laptop will arrive.. IMO, that laptop is very good.. And, now HP also offers accidental damage protection which Sony doesn't..

Cool :) Do keep us posted. No denying that it got the most powerful GPU in a sub 40k notebook.

What makes me skeptical is the chassis size of 14" which usually doesnt go well with such high-mid end cards. If it doesnt get all that heated up then its a good choice for budget gamers.

HP has implemented their CoolSense Tech across loads of laptop.. Going by the AMD Fusion based DM1Z that Anandtech reviewed, I think that heating shouldn't be much of a problem in that laptop..

hellknight_mnd said:
HP has implemented their CoolSense Tech across loads of laptop.. Going by the AMD Fusion based DM1Z that Anandtech reviewed, I think that heating shouldn't be much of a problem in that laptop..

We cant really compare a netbook with a APU (18w TDP) and a laptop with a dual core i3 (35w TDP) and a upper mid range mobile GPU (30w TDP).

But yeah i too hope HP has overcome the heating issues.

Back