Audio Logitech Z 506 and Xonar Dx(Asus) , still sound not ok...problem..

Guys , in search of perfect 5.1 sound , i have got the Asus Xonar Dx card for my logitech Z506... i have installled the audio card and unistalled the previous onboard realtek software from the PC. installed the audio software from Xonar.. now the problem is .. in my speaker .. there is 3 wires.. one Green and the other one is Black and the last Orange.. the audio card has. . .(Spdif out- Line/mic in),front out ,side surround,Center& Sub woofer,back Surround... now from the speakers . ihave connected the green,black and orange wire( its easy as speakers have colour code).. .. now where to put the three wires in .. audio card.( no colour codde in audio card ).?

what are the codec i need to install .. and how to get the best possible music sound??

Well, since I had some free time, and here is what i believe the correct connections. Images from the net + bit of MS Paint.

[attachment=10288:17168.attach]

Any guys here can confirm this?

Attachments

• xonar to z506.jpg
    xonar to z506.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 21,585
vivek .. i have tried ur .. way.. and feel it should be right.. but after plugging, i dont get any sound from rear speakes.... then i put the black . wire in Side jack.... now getting .. sound from rear speaks.. but not perfect sound..... plz help.. what are the softwares i should installl??

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

plus in Xonar DX Audio center, i have set 5.1 .. but i cant select Dolby digital etc.. only 5.1 can be selected...... plz help guys..

As far as I know, 5.1 speakers don't have side channels. you should keep the black wire in your sound card's back surround port.

I think you can configure the speakers in windows control panel as well where you will get option to select speakers. Used Xonar DX long back with z5500 and I think it was working fine.

try above and revert if it is working or not.

You can also contact cranky on TE

Here is his review on Xonar DX.

http://www.techenclave.com/reviews-and-previews/asus-xonar-dx-review-125339.html

What are you using to test the speakers? Stereo sound will not magically transform into 5-channel sound. If you're using music to test you will only get sound in the front two channels. You have to use DSP to get other speakers to play. This is wholly unnatural as stereo sound is recorded with two mics and the most faithful reproduction comes from the front.

I would appreciate if you took some time to describe your problem. Your posts sound like you are stuttering and it tortures me to read them. Can you describe the problem a little better? What do you mean by 'not perfect'?

And for the sake of an old man, please do not use SMS language. It is irritating... to see... posts like this.... Talk normally.

To the OP, use files from here to test : Free 5.1 Surround Sound DTS and AC-3 Downloads, ensure you download the 5.1 FLAC surround file : http://www.diatonis.com/downloads/09_diatonis_bwctyt_like-walking-on-the-wind_6-chan_9624.flac

Play it in media player, check for 5.1 sound

cranky said:
And for the sake of an old man, please do not use SMS language. It is irritating... to see... posts like this.... Talk normally.

Old man? What are you, 60? Till then you aint any oldie ;) . But you could be the elsdest guy on the forums, maybe?

Ok.. this is for all....

I have Z506 Logitech 5.1 speakers and recently purchased the Asus Xonar Dx card.... now after installing the card , i have played quite a few 5.1 audio.. ie DTS , Dolby digital video/audio files.. . but i am not getting the 5.1 feel of speakers.. ie .. the rear speakrs sound is not very clear... the font and subwoofer speakers are good.. but main problem is with the rear speakrs.. the entire experience of 5.1 is ruined , if we do not get the rear speakers sound .. i guess..... I have quite a few Movie (HD) with 5.1 sound... i dont get the feel of movies.. like dolby digital in theatres....(specifically rear speakers sound)..
the other issue is with the three wires.. ie.. green,black ,orange.. with comes out from speakers to be connected to xonar card ports... i think vivek is correct in its ananlysis,,, but if i plug the cards as his.. configuration then,,i dont get any sound from rear speakers.. so .. @ crank.. i wanted to know .. the three wires from speakers.. port.... where to connect in the card port??

next .. is there any other software to use.. to enhance the sound experience..?
the xonar card audio software.. i cant select dolby live or dolby true surround... when i select 5.1 .... .. how to get these options.. ie dolby digital mode etc... while playing audio files..

i have tried to put my problem to u guys..if any doubt kindly ask.. and .. kindly advice..

Reverse the rear and front connections on the speaker, so that the connection which goes into black port goes into the green port, and connect the other which goes to green port to black one on speaker. Now see if the sound quality from the front speakers is similar to that which you got from the rear speakers? If yes, then either the wire from pc to speakers is the problem else sound card itself. Else its the speaker system which has the problem.

i did try what u suggested vivek.. and find that .. in case of black. wire when plugged into .. green port.. ie front speakes.. i get sound from one ..speaker and not from the other.. in normal case also .. rear speakers... one sound good.. other rear speaker ..even less or almost...no sound..... from this what can we infere??? i can understand that the speakers are as such ok...

few ..things which i can confirm after these experiments.

1. Rear speakers are ok.. no problem.. with them.. as when i put the rear speaks ie black wire .. in stereo ( back of speakers).. the speakers give . enough sound.. in stereo mode).

2. when i confire wires.. as suggested by Vivek.. ie put the black wire in back port ( last port of speaker..) i get almost no sound( murmur type..). but if i put the black wire in side port of speaker , i get sound in rear speaker( 1 of the rear speakers..).. but that too is is very less...

what is the conclusion from these?

There is a connection problem somewhere. Try using a new 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and see if you are getting the same results. Also check in sound settings whether the balance is off key. Another point to check is the enhancement such as EQ modes.

Also, disable onboard sound thru bios settings and check again,

Also, if possible, try to check with your onboard, if speakers are perfect, its the card at fault.

I feel that if this problem persists, better get help from someone near your area, as online help can only do so much.

5.1 normally uses front left/right, side left/right and the woofer. The rear channels are only used in 7.1 audio. Use the front, side and center/sub connectors on the xonar to make your connections.

From what you have described I'd say that there is something wrong with your rear speaker audio input(on the speaker)/output(from the xonar) jack or your audio cable (assuming the rear speakers are working properly as you mentioned). If the front speakers are working properly, connect the xonar's front output port to the rear input of the speaker and check the sound. If uneven sound from the rear speakers still persists then there must be a problem with your rear input jack on the speaker. Else if the sound is proper from the rear speakers while using the front output as the source, there might be a problem the cable you are using to connect the xonar's side output and the speakers rear input. If changing the cable still gives the same problem, then there is something wrong with your xonar's side output jack.

As for the sound, in my experience while watching a movie with 5.1 audio, the center speaker is used 95% of the time, the front l/r speakers are used 70% and the rear speakers are used around 20-40% of the time. All depending on the audio source of course, you cant expect all the speakers to make some noise all the time (except in action sequences maybe). Just make sure all the speakers are working and producing equal level of noise, the rest is up to the audio source.

Also... avoid... typing.... like.... this........ its frustrating to read, I didn't read your post(s) in the day seeing all the..... but since I ain't sleepy and have nothing else to do atm.... :p

terminater said:
vivek .. i have tried ur .. way.. and feel it should be right.. but after plugging, i dont get any sound from rear speakes.... then i put the black . wire in Side jack.... now getting .. sound from rear speaks.. but not perfect sound..... plz help.. what are the softwares i should installl??

plus in Xonar DX Audio center, i have set 5.1 .. but i cant select Dolby digital etc.. only 5.1 can be selected...... plz help guys..

I have Z5500 with Xonar D2X.

Just connect them according to the color codes and use the side speakers in the card, not he rear speakers.

After this make sure you have the switch on control pod set to 6 channel and in the control pod with the remote aswell.

Check this image of Logitech Z5500 connections.
It clearly mentions front,centre and rear. I am bit confused with some of the member's posts which say 6 channel speakers have side speaker instead of rear.
Can anyone shed some light on this.

He has a z506 not a z5500, there is no point giving him instructions keeping the z5500 in mind.

@vivacious_tg, normally for a 5.1 system the side speaker output of a 8 channel sound card goes to the input for the rear speakers. You can connect rear output of the sound card to the rear input of the speakers if you want to, but most movies with 5.1 audio have side L/R audio and don't have rear L/R audio. So if he is using the rear output of the sound card he will mostly get no sound output from rear speakers.

Here are the audio details of a random movie with 5.1 channel audio, notice what all channels are present in the picture.

streaminfo.png

You have Front L/C/R, Side L/R and low freq effects for the woofer. So if you have your rear output connected to the rear input of the speaker, you wont be getting any audio out of the rear speakers since the 5.1 stream has side channel audio but no rear channel audio. So its better you use the side channel output as the input to the rear speakers, this way you will have audio coming from the rear speakers.

guys,finally got the rear speakers to work.. this is what i did..

connected the black output from speakers to side surround port of audio card..
selected 7.1 speakers instead of 5.1. in Xonar audio center software..
connected the speaker power cord to a separate plug point..

nyways..thnks all for their suggestions..

Back