Lenovo X220 (12.5") vs Macbook Air (11")

@desiibond : No harms meant.. One can do all stuff in any lappy, even a netbook would be enough in that case...

My point is Thinkpad looks like a business lappy, whereas MBA doesn't look so.. Hope this clear up things...

sbhas2k said:
@desiibond : No harms meant.. One can do all stuff in any lappy, even a netbook would be enough in that case...

My point is Thinkpad looks like a business lappy, whereas MBA doesn't look so.. Hope this clear up things...

your point was "but more or less suited for Business use and not personal use" and hence my post to 'clear up things'. Any lappy can do these thing but how many can survive a fall from desk or work for years (with minor or no problems)? While my friend's 3 year old Dell looks all scratched up and with couple of components ready to die, my T61 still looks the same way it used to when I got it first and am yet to see a component failure. It is this stability that makes it an obvious choice for businesses, not looks or business specific pre-installed apps or whatever.

btw, If the need is for Audio and video production etc, I would have asked the OP to straightaway go for a macbook as they excel in that area.

^ Thinkpads are called Business laptop and mostly used by Office goers given by Companies.. Anyway, It's how one takes it.. I would prefer MBA over Thinkpad if i had that much Money with me... Though it varies from person to person ;)

desiibond said:
your point was "but more or less suited for Business use and not personal use" and hence my post to 'clear up things'. Any lappy can do these thing but how many can survive a fall from desk or work for years (with minor or no problems)? While my friend's 3 year old Dell looks all scratched up and with couple of components ready to die, my T61 still looks the same way it used to when I got it first and am yet to see a component failure. It is this stability that makes it an obvious choice for businesses, not looks or business specific pre-installed apps or whatever.

btw, If the need is for Audio and video production etc, I would have asked the OP to straightaway go for a macbook as they excel in that area.

+1, my 3.5yrs old thinkpad looks and works the same way as its first day while other shiny brands get faded,dented, scratched body panels and other hardware failures.any day,i will prefer a thinkpad over a macbook.

desiibond said:
Macbooks are terrible for video production. I am not an Audio guy, but I recently read an article about Square Enix moving from Mac to Windows and gaining 6 times faster performance in the process. Here: Square Enix.

That brings up the question - why are Macs popular for Video/Audio then? It's anybody's guess, but my guess is, they have never really tried the Windows platform. That's a bit strange, isn't it? But you have even top people like Square Enix shocked by how much better the Windows platform is - simply because they hadn't tried out Windows before.

And when it comes to films and video it is even more abusive. Even software which run on both Windows and Mac - Premiere Pro CS5 - it is 10% faster on Windows and features various extra features such as 10-bit output.

Macbooks are great for casual use, document, please keep them out of serious line of fire.

Sub said:
Macbooks are terrible for video production. I am not an Audio guy, but I recently read an article about Square Enix moving from Mac to Windows and gaining 6 times faster performance in the process. Here: Square Enix.

That brings up the question - why are Macs popular for Video/Audio then? It's anybody's guess, but my guess is, they have never really tried the Windows platform. That's a bit strange, isn't it? But you have even top people like Square Enix shocked by how much better the Windows platform is - simply because they hadn't tried out Windows before.

And when it comes to films and video it is even more abusive. Even software which run on both Windows and Mac - Premiere Pro CS5 - it is 10% faster on Windows and features various extra features such as 10-bit output.

Macbooks are great for casual use, document, please keep them out of serious line of fire.

that is more due to the s/w than h/w. I believe Finalcut pro, aperture, logic studio etc are still among the best.

desiibond said:
that is more due to the s/w than h/w. I believe Finalcut pro, aperture, logic studio etc are still among the best.
The new Final Cut Pro X is terrible, atrocious, and the old Final Cut Pro 7 is, well, old, and obsolete. FCP was decent and good value for money in 2006 (I myself used it for 2 years), but this is 2011. Premiere Pro CS5.5 or Vegas Pro 10 are just far superior in every respect. Of course top Hollywood guys are still enamored by Avid MC 5.5. With FCP X, Apple have killed Final Cut Studio, and really, Apple are completely out of the professional film/video landscape. I don't mind Premiere Pro CS5.5 on Mac, but like I mentioned, the same software is just more stable and faster on Windows 7.

In case you didn't read the article I quoted, Soundforge on Windows is 6 times faster than Logic on Mac. That's pretty huge. But I won't comment further as I am not an Audio/Sound professional.

Photoshop CS5.5 is still the leader in image manipulation, hands down.

Anyway, this is a discussion for another thread.

sbhas2k said:
^ Thinkpads are called Business laptop and mostly used by Office goers given by Companies.. Anyway, It's how one takes it.. I would prefer MBA over Thinkpad if i had that much Money with me... Though it varies from person to person ;)

Damn! Apple users have emerged out of the closet! No one in their right mind can compare Macbooks of any grade to a Thinkpad! With the configurations the X220 offers it would take Apple another 3 years to match upto that level. Apple makes you pay Apple Tax for their sub standard hardware in the name of classy design!

^hmm.. Interesting observation.. Obviously the industry doesn't think so and infact they trying to compete with Apple products and not the other way around...

Anyway, i know where this thread is heading Apple Vs PC/Others fanboy.. Lets stop it and provide feedback for the thread starter for his purchase ;)

sbhas2k said:
^hmm.. Interesting observation.. Obviously the industry doesn't think so and infact they trying to compete with Apple products and not the other way around...

Anyway, i know where this thread is heading Apple Vs PC/Others fanboy.. Lets stop it and provide feedback for the thread starter for his purchase ;)
correction. it's Apple fanboy vs Others. Dude. please. It will be better if you leave this thread. first you said that thinkpads are not for personal use and once you are corrected, you said that thinkpads look like business laptops and when you are corrected, you start calling other as PC fanobys?

Please, this is the one thing that really sucks about 'few' Apple users. They don't even know that they are talking about and keep on circling around a clueless thing. Please don't go down too far that road. Many of us do respect Apple in some things but we neither force a buyer to get a windows laptop or a macbook.

Gotta say i'm seriously impressed by the pricing and looks of that new 13" MBA.... BUT , when i look at the price to spec ratio of the X220.. it wins hands down and the Thinkpad is no slouch in looks too ( for certain people :) )

Is x220 available in India?

I am not knowledgable enough to comment on windows vs mac thing,but I am using a 13"MBP for about a year now.

For me o.sX just does everything fine(I am not a power user though)

Was planning to buy the new 13"MBA, watched some you tube video on X220 and completely confused now.

Hmm.. considering as we're going down the OSX vs Windows route , keep in mind what you're using it for ! For a hell of a lot users , the usage is mostly in the browser and movies + music.. you do NOT need a Mac for this.. well you do if you're the show off kind but thats another story lol

desiibond said:
correction. it's Apple fanboy vs Others. Dude. please. It will be better if you leave this thread. first you said that thinkpads are not for personal use and once you are corrected, you said that thinkpads look like business laptops and when you are corrected, you start calling other as PC fanobys?

Please, this is the one thing that really sucks about 'few' Apple users. They don't even know that they are talking about and keep on circling around a clueless thing. Please don't go down too far that road. Many of us do respect Apple in some things but we neither force a buyer to get a windows laptop or a macbook.

Great here you go again... Obviously you won't give up.. Also this is a open forum and everyone can raise their opinion.. Stop asking others to leave this thread as it's not a good manner..

Here are the lappy's i used.. u figure it out whether i m an apple fanboy or not..

Thinkpad T42 - Company provided laptop (2 years)

MBP - Personal (1year before lending it to bro)

Thinkpad R60 - Company provided laptop (using now)

Compaq 510 - Personal (using now)

so In my personal opinion, i liked MBP for personal use and T42 & R60 for rugged business purpose....

Infact i am planning buy thinkpad x120e for my personal use, once available..

If you still say i am an apple fanboy, then yes i am ;)

The MBA will be given for a 50-100$ discount although I might be able to get an ipod-touch for free. I think you are quite right about MS products.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Of course, the weight, size and looks of the MBA are the things that compel me to go for it. And the chance to use the OSX Lion. The battery life is putting me off. If they had a better battery, I would definitely go for it simply for the sake of trying a Mac, and as OSX is based on Unix (No need to install Linux).

vela.faltu said:
The MBA will be given for a 50-100$ discount although I might be able to get an ipod-touch for free. I think you are quite right about MS products.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Of course, the weight, size and looks of the MBA are the things that compel me to go for it. And the chance to use the OSX Lion. The battery life is putting me off. If they had a better battery, I would definitely go for it simply for the sake of trying a Mac, and as OSX is based on Unix (No need to install Linux).

Just a thought. if you like OS X a lot and if you want good battery backup, why not go with MBA 13 that gives upto 7hrs of battery life. But then again, a 9cell battery gives upto 13 hours for X220. another issue with MBA and these ultraportables is lack of ports. With X220, you can get the legendary dock (costs around 200$ if I am right). Lenovo - Docks & Port Replicators - 0A33932 - (US) but it's a bit more complicated with MBA :)

To cut this short. If you want OS X and only OS X, look no further than MBA 13. If you want a device that is powerful, light, superb battery life, OS not an issue, then you better get that X220. It is just too ahead of MBA in terms of h/w and features.

^^ Shouldn't be too hard , Considering how powerful the X220 is , i'd just run SL or Lion in a VM and be done in it :p That's what i do currently when i need to use FCP for a bit of work lol..

Back