Storage Solutions Laptop hdd hdtune warning - please help

anfjavid

Skilled
Hey guys, my MSI CR400 lappys HDD is going to die i think. HD TUNE shows

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
its a TOSHIBA hdd as evidenced by the screenshot and this is the 2nd HDD which is causing issues. The 1st one was the WD SCORPIO blue and it showed bad sectors last year end. Subsequently this HDD was given to me but this year end, another issue with another brand. I thought these TOSHIBA HDDs are unreliable from the very begining this HDD was given. Now i will take it to service centre. IF The service center guys deny the results shown by HD TUNE, what are the other ways i can make them believe that the HDD is going to die and this is a serious issue . Last time the bad sector was visible in windows itself but now these types of issues can be diagonised only by HD TUNE. Is there any other software whose results cannot be denied by MSI ?

Re: Laptop hdd hdtune warning - plz help

Mate, IMO, its just a warning and as long as the numbers dont increase much, you will be fine.

AFAIK, RMA, no idea on whether they will accept it.

Its just a warning....... and they wont RMA it with 2 bad sectors...... plus its showing close to 100% of reserve sectors remaining........ so u hav a long way to go before it comes to 50% or less......

So just keep an eye on the Current & Worst column for Reallocated Sectors...... if it drops below 50%, tht means HDD's life will soon be over

But the warranty is going to expire in another 15 days. Anyway will try my luck. But what are the chances of that reaching to 50% ?. 50 - 50 ?

tht depends on how fast the Reallocated Sector Count increases.... right now its at 2, so long way to go....... maybe a yr or 2 or even more....... so dont be so worried...... just keep an eye on it every month....

Regarding warranty, I dont think so they will entertain such a request....... if its not giving any problem then HD Tune warning counts for nothing....... but there is nothing wrong in trying for RMA.....

If it last for yr or 2 then later u can buy laptop's hdd for very less than the bombshell we hav to shell out these days...... or might get SSD for it.....

But will seatools work with this ? as its a toshiba hdd...

For the past 4 or 5 months i came to note that whenever i start a video player (vlc or WMP or CCCP) the mouse pointer gets stuck during the start up process and comes to normal after the video starts playing... Is this normal ?? Could this be the impact of the RSC ?

My Dell Studio suddenly started freezing and crashing. It takes 5-10 seconds just to open calculator and around 15-20 seconds to open firefox.
So I formatted and re-installed windows. However, everything is still very slow.

HD Tune screenshot below:

Dell's diagnostic tool does not show any errors. The laptop is around 2yrs old but I have extended completecare warranty. Should I contact Dell about this
or is it something I can fix myself. Anyhow, from my previous experiences, it won't be easy explaining this to Dell CC.

gauravs123 said:
My Dell Studio suddenly started freezing and crashing. It takes 5-10 seconds just to open calculator and around 15-20 seconds to open firefox.

So I formatted and re-installed windows. However, everything is still very slow.

Dell's diagnostic tool does not show any errors. The laptop is around 2yrs old but I have extended completecare warranty. Should I contact Dell about this

or is it something I can fix myself. Anyhow, from my previous experiences, it won't be easy explaining this to Dell CC.

I was have same problem on my lenovo laptop. It was taking 15 minutes to boot. I ran tuneUp utility disc doctor tool at boot time and I don't know how but it have solved the issue. I am still on the same HDD. You must also try this before contacting Dell.

Back