India is second most ignorant nation of the world: Survey

Didn't know that Ignorance was related to Technology.
This thread should be in the General Section man.

But Mexico is more ignorant than India? I thought that we were leading. Pull up your socks Indians. Don't disappoint me.

Last edited:
Going through the article in detail...
Its about how much we know ourselves and not about how much we know in terms of knowledge...
I'm certain that we are brought by that way, starting with our history lessons...

Most Indians "underestimate" how much of their country's wealth is concentrated in the hands of the top 1 per cent, the survey said, adding that the top 1 per cent actually own an "incredible" 70 per cent of all wealth. The survey also found that most Indians "hugely overestimate" the proportions of non-religious people in the country to be 33 per cent when the true figure is under 1 per cent.
However, the Indian population seriously underestimates the rural population of the country and thinks more people have internet access than in reality. In India the average guess among online respondents for internet access is 60 per cent - an overestimation of the true picture of 41 percentage points, the survey added.

Majority of our countries wealth is stockpiled in temples like Tirumala and the like. Even the wealth of the richest businessmen in India would be nothing before that. Also, people should note that the country is technically running on the taxes payed by wealthy 1% and the corporates that they run. Only 3% of our population pay taxes even though a considerable chuck of the population is liable to pay taxes.

Temples' money is not being used for even temples purposes. Temple's money is managed by governments.. And there is a lot of history it is being mismanaged. Temples are not earning money through business, they are donated by devotees towards The Lord. Strictly speaking, It should be used for temple and temple related social purposes. . But temple's money is how related to this post?

Temples' money is not being used for even temples purposes. Temple's money is managed by governments.. And there is a lot of history it is being mismanaged. Temples are not earning money through business, they are donated by devotees towards The Lord. Strictly speaking, It should be used for temple and temple related social purposes. . But temple's money is how related to this post?

What purpose the Temples has really other than making money/fooling people ??? Why devotees donate money to their Imaginary friend when the REAL people suffers everywhere. Delusional ???
"Ignorance is Bliss" and we are proud NO:2.

that is a separate issue, may be imaginary for you, for them it is not.... point is the money is not utilized for the purpose it is given for...[DOUBLEPOST=1449480701][/DOUBLEPOST]no 2 in ignorance is not related to religious issue...

^
India has the "dubious honour" of being the second most ignorant nation in the world after Mexico, according to a survey which posed questions on issues like inequality, non-religious population, female employment and internet access.

How is it not religious issue ????

The summary of the article is we don't understand about us very well, rather than we lacking knowledge.. .. even if you take religious , this is the actual statement "The survey also found that most Indians "hugely overestimate" the proportions of non-religious people in the country to be 33 per cent when the true figure is under 1 per cent." which means most of the indians are religious.

Leaving aside the fact that blind belief in the concept of god and religion is in itself a superstition and to me a characteristic trait of a primitive minded population who are yet to evolve, its laughable to think that despite their notion of this all powerful being, they think that god needs their money and that he doesn't approve that its spent more aptly to help their fellow people. That is also a show of ignorance at a very basic level. I am not saying that its limited to India, but the fact that 99% of the population in the country is religious seems to correlate well with the level of ignorance, because people who are capable of blind belief in religion can always extend it to other areas. I am also not saying that atheism is devoid of ignorance. There are a lot of people who approach atheism as if its another religion with all the same fundamental deficiencies.

Secondly, my talk about temple money was related because they are talking about who holds the most wealth which in our countries case is the temples. Its not the rich and its not the swiss bank accounts of the corrupt people. Most of this money given to temples and other religious institutions, especially the big anonymous donations in lacs or crores of rupees or even gold is mostly black money. These kind of donations are a popular means to dispose excess black money. So, It is not even legally the money of these these people to give it to temples.

Personally, I find absolutely no reason to not tax all kinds of religious and political donations. Even if the person donating it is given an exemption, the entity receiving it can be taxed to a tune of 50%. Tax breaks should be given only to genuine charities for social causes that don't do not have any sort of religious or political connections.

Leaving that aside, Recently, I have seen some Facebook posts asking people to boycott Sharukh Khan movies because he supposedly did not donate anything for Chennai flood victims while he donated for calamities in Pak. There were thousands of likes for these posts and people running their mouths like anything. For one, he has apparently contributed over 25 crores for various charitable causes in India and is ranked 33rd in philanthropists in India and these people do not even know whether he has or has not made any monetary contribution for the Chennai flood victims. This is how ignorance works in India.

I have also seen people make a fuss about industrialists like Tata's or Ambani's wealth, but these industrialists and entrepreneurs have had their families toil over generations to build their empires and they contribute to the country significantly (even if not to the full extent) and in various ways like creating jobs unlike others who just know how to eat of the public coffers and just run their mouths while doing nothing themselves.How many times have you heard the people use the term public money and claiming their right to it when in fact only a select few are really contributing towards it.

I am not going to put up my points on each of yours.. But lots of temples do engage their funds in socio-spiritual welfare activities... I can quote sources and stats some time later.[DOUBLEPOST=1449484941][/DOUBLEPOST]The ignorance word used in this article is being improperly understood and used... Ignorance here actually implies Indian public don't understand what they are... not refers to any absolute understanding of knowledge

I am not going to put up my points on each of yours.. But lots of temples do engage their funds in socio-spiritual welfare activities... I can quote sources and stats some time later.

A very minuscule quantity compared to what gets stowed away and what gets looted in between. This is why I stopped donating to any entity with strong religious ties. Religion always has been, is, will be a political tool and is strongly associated with corruption. Also do note that I am not talking about any particular religion here. Its the same with all of them.

The ignorance word used in this article is being improperly understood and used... Ignorance here actually implies Indian public don't understand what they are... not refers to any absolute understanding of knowledge

I don't think people have misunderstood or confusing it. I do understand the ignorance in the context of that survey, but I also find a a pattern to the kind of questions asked (at least highlighted in the article) and I am talking about a few relevant things.

What purpose the Temples has really other than making money/fooling people ??? Why devotees donate money to their Imaginary friend when the REAL people suffers everywhere. Delusional ???

images.jpg

Money from temples is audited and even controlled by the government. So believe it or not it gets used for the betterment of mankind directly or indirectly.
Sadly this is applicable on the temples.
No audits for money in churches or mosques are done, nor their finances used by the government.

All said these are irrelevant issues to the topic.

^^ There is no such thing as money of temples being used by govt officially for other purposes. On the contrary, the govt would be spending tax payers money for their maintenance. Funds should be audited in those cases. Compared to churches and mosques, may big temples do get a lot of funds and gold both from internal sources and external as well as govt funding and they have a much higher rate of anonymous donations as well. So, technically audits make sense. There is also rampart corruption in management of temples. I know because one of my friends father is used to work in TTD and left his job after getting disgusted by the politics and corruption involved.

I think this is what you may be talking about

http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/bhubaneswar/cag-to-audit-18000-mutts-temples.html

The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India, for the first time, has initiated an audit of about 18,000 mutts and temples in Odisha. The State Government has enlisted these mutts and temples, which, apart from their own sources of income, also get Government aid.

The mutts and temples, which have properties of over crores of rupees, are now mired in gross irregularities. While some persons have encroached upon the mutt and temple land or sold these away at throwaway prices, some have forcibly taken possession of these religious institutions since years.

It is surprising that neither the Government nor the office of the Endowment Commissioner has any record of properties of these mutts and temples.

Churches are not maintained by govt. so they are at the mercy of its patrons in India or some foreign missions. For the most part, its the later case since they don't get any significant funds locally. Since FCRA accounts are needed for that, there is inherent auditing of the funds coming in because of that. Churches that don't get foreign funds usually end up rotting away on their own. Of course there is also corruption just like in temple trusts and there would be people eating away the funds.

As for Mosques, I am completely clueless of what kind of funds they get and how they are maintained.

^^ There is no such thing as money of temples being used by govt officially for other purposes. On the contrary, the govt would be spending tax payers money for their maintenance. Funds should be audited in those cases. Compared to churches and mosques, may big temples do get a lot of funds and gold both from internal sources and external as well as govt funding and they have a much higher rate of anonymous donations as well. So, technically audits make sense. There is also rampart corruption in management of temples. I know because one of my friends father is used to work in TTD and left his job after getting disgusted by the politics and corruption involved.

I think this is what you may be talking about

http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/bhubaneswar/cag-to-audit-18000-mutts-temples.html

Churches are not maintained by govt. so they are at the mercy of its patrons in India or some foreign missions. For the most part, its the later case since they don't get any significant funds locally. Since FCRA accounts are needed for that, there is inherent auditing of the funds coming in because of that. Churches that don't get foreign funds usually end up rotting away on their own. Of course there is also corruption just like in temple trusts and there would be people eating away the funds.

As for Mosques, I am completely clueless of what kind of funds they get and how they are maintained.

Really? Heard of a new monetary scheme which goes by the name of Gold Monetization Scheme?

Back