HTC desire or Samsung Galaxy S or iphone 3gs

Hey guys, needed your help again..

I am in a dilemma as to which phone should i use from the mentioned list.

I would mostly using phones for..

1. Lots of apps which require good processing power, good ram(like gmaps etc)

2. Heavy usage of internet which has flash support and almost all those which we do on pc internet.

3. using word/excel/ppts.

I basically want a phone with good multimedia features(good camera, sound etc). My budget is around 26-27k.

Hows the performance of touchwiz UI vs. HTC sense? does desire have htc sense? Also hows the support of samsung vs htc.I read from reviews that htc releases updates frequently compared to samsung. Does desire and galaxy s have the capability of running Andriod 2.3?

Also, please lend me some information from where i can check out the real mobile phones before actually purchasing it.

Please drop in your reviews..

Thanks..

I am using SGS. As far as 2.3 goes, no official confirmation.

The SGS has an excellent screen, video and audio playback is superb,plays flac, divx out of the box. The phone though a palmful is quite slim. Processor, graphics etc are good. Video rec is very good too.

On the other hand, battery life is barely a day( I am on Froyo), build quality/material quality is befitting a phone of 5000rs rather than 5 times that price. There is no dedicated camera button and cam performance is just ok. And yes there are bugs here and there which hinders smooth operation/user experience.

I don't have SGS, but used it for a week.

Pros - AWESOME Screen, Music, Audio, Video playback is wonderful.

Cons - Poor build, cheap looks, Bugs, No camera flash and Samsung's service.

Samsung hasn't confirmed that SGS will be getting 2.3. Desire on the other hand is going to get 2.3 for sure. And already there are at least 4 ROMs out there which put Gingerbread on your phone. I own both a HTC Desire and a iPhone 3GS - and I can tell you, based on your usage, I think the Desire would be a good fit. Galaxy S is also a nice phone but a few drawbacks: 1) no physical camera flash 2) no LED notifications 3) lags once in a while unless you root it 4) AGPS is the worst seen in any Android phone till date 5) has only 512mb RAM as opposed to Desire's 576mb.

On the flip side: SGS is better than Desire in the following ways: 1) more internal storage 2) larger screen with SAMOLED dispay 3) has a front facing camera if you ever plan to do video conferencing 4) has a gorilla glass display

Hope that helps.

thanks for all of ur inputs guys....
just had one querry regarding desire. i heard it has got official 2.2 froyo update. has it got the support of divx for playing movies?
I am using Samsung wave and it has divx support which provides a good movie experience... I wonder if its the same with desire.
The only news i got from google is that with 2.2 update 720p recording @ 25fps is being made possible, thats it...

HTC Desire cant play divx / xvid through its native video player but there are free players available in the market like RockPlayer, VPlayer etc which play even flv and mkv files. Subtitles are supported too! I am using these myself. So go ahead and buy the Desire, you wont regret it.

Froyo 2.2 update has enabled 720p video recording. It has not changed the phones any other media capability.

to answer your query, there is no perfect phone for your requirement, you have to mention how comfortable are you on the technical side ? android phones are for more techy people and unless ur gonna root it n play around , out of the box experience isnt that great.

as far as the iphone is concerned but ofcourse you will jailbreak it to put your apps and games and nothing even comes close to apple in the way they manage the app and game content and the sheer volumes of their availability.

to answer your query in specific
1. Lots of apps which require good processing power, good ram(like gmaps etc)
1. The iphone 3GS will more than suffice your need here.
2. Heavy usage of internet which has flash support and almost all those which we do on pc internet.
2. all the phones hold good here, skyfire is avaialble on all 3 handsets which can handle your requirement good, screen size if to be considered here , the galaxy s being the biggest, browsing would be slightly more comfortable on this device as compared.
3. using word/excel/ppts.
3.similar as point #2, possible to do so on all 3 handsets
I basically want a phone with good multimedia features(good camera, sound etc). My budget is around 26-27k.

Boss, iPhone 3GS has really crappy specs compared to SGS and Desire.

In terms of user experience yes, it's probably the best. But, you cannot play movies on it without transcoding. VLC has been taken off the app store. Similarly, you can't play Quake 3 or any other 3D game on an iOS phone, but you can on an Android. And without Jailbreaking (which of course is a technical process, and can brick your phone), you cannot access the file system and use stuff like document editors etc. iOS doesn't allow downloading of any files onto the phone except for images. So there.

Rooting an Android phone is relatively simpler, doesn't void warranty unlike Jailbreaking and you can always unroot if you don't like it. Further, installing custom ROMs guarantees a personalized experience which no iOS device can ever offer.

laemo said:
But, you cannot play movies on it without transcoding. VLC has been taken off the app store.
Yes you can,O player can play virtually everything and there are other options too.Jailbreaking is not that difficult.S.Q of desire is very poor compared to 3gs(BTW,s.q of hd2 and desire are absolutely same to my ears)

Jailbreaking is not that difficult? Then rooting isn't difficult either. Rooting doesn't even void the warranty! And you don't even need to root to play any file format on Android out of the box.

And I don't think anyone is expecting audiophile level SQ on a phone TBH. But having said that, yes, I agree 3GS has better SQ than Desire. But BB has better SQ than both of them. So there.

Getting a 3GS (new) is near impossible. Plus it's specs cannot be compared to the Desire and SGS.

From the Desire and SGS, the Desire is your best option. The SGS is a very plasticky phone that doesn't look the deal!!!

the 3GS cannot be compared in specs but i tell you the 3gs will perform at par or outperform the desire, the SGS has lag issues for which fixes are available.

@laemo - you have a wrong conception there - rooting , custom roms and the likes WILL void your warranty. Stop making blant claims if you donot have knowledge on the likes.

as far as playing quake 3 is concerned , i dont think one would be too happy playing quake 3 on his mobile lol, the iphone has millions of much better 3D games to offer, 3d games and native movie playing was a cheap shot.

both are achievable on both devices without any efforts.

@OP - do you still have doubts or does this clarify ?

SoulFire said:
the 3GS cannot be compared in specs but i tell you the 3gs will perform at par or outperform the desire, the SGS has lag issues for which fixes are available.

@laemo - you have a wrong conception there - rooting , custom roms and the likes WILL void your warranty. Stop making blant claims if you donot have knowledge on the likes.

as far as playing quake 3 is concerned , i dont think one would be too happy playing quake 3 on his mobile lol, the iphone has millions of much better 3D games to offer, 3d games and native movie playing was a cheap shot.

both are achievable on both devices without any efforts.

@OP - do you still have doubts or does this clarify ?

Buddy, I think I know a lot more about this than you do. So unless you can back your claims with some credible proof, just don't try and and crap on my post Cool? FYI - I've had my friends submit their ROOTED phones to Samsung and they still happily serviced it and gave it back WITH root. And you can unroot your Android phone as easily as you rooted it - this concept doesn't apply to an iPhone. So, even if you're worried that the company won't service your phone, you can return it to its original state. The iPhone on the other hand, first of all, once jailbroken, you're screwed, and if a person is not knowledgeable and he installs an official update, he is screwed as the phone will get bricked. And even for a simple task like getting the battery replaced you have to part with your phone - which is not the case with the other phones due to user replaceable battery.

So there. Hope that clarifies my 'blatant claims'. Heh.

Oh, and why is video playing a 'cheap shot'? Can the 3GS play 720p movies out of the box? Forget that, can it play ANY movie out of the box, as is without conversion? Yeah, thought so. I'm not aware of any player that lets you do the same without Jailbreaking (I'm not going to to jailbreak my iPhone for this). Also, you cannot get access to the native filesystem which limits a lot of your tasks because you're left working with flatfiles and databases as opposed to a real FS. It's a highly closed ecosystem where Apple expects the user to stay behind the glass walls they've created or suffer their wrath by not honouring the warranty claims (despite the fact that Jailbreaking has been declared legal in the US).

And FYI, please read my posts/signature carefully. I know both sides of the story rather well, so please don't make uneducated guesses about what I know and don't know.

please guys... peace here, we dont want a debate regarding who has better understanding... we all know thats TE's have a good sound information on what they are proposing.. :)

iphone is out of my budget i guess... its around 35k in stores(even on ebay) and also it has a small screen as per my needs.

also SGS is not available in stores i inquired....

now to choose between desire and desire HD.. its a tie i guess. the large screen for HD is luring enough as i will be doing lots of reading but weight and size fitting is an issue. i had a look at the demo plastic piece(plastic didnt feel heavy but the phone aint plastic its metal so its going to be heavy for sure). Can someone please confirm how much heavy is it on ur pantsize pocket?

I wont be rooting the phone as of now as i barely get time to explore it. spending another 3k to get a good screen and some extra features shouldnt be a waste of money..

your views guys..

If you're okay with the battery capacity Tejas, do consider desire HD by all means. If you can, you can demo the phone yourself by visiting Croma or a similar store. Or if you cannot find HD, just look for HTC HD2 it should give you a fair idea about the dimensions/weight.

Cheers and peace :)

Got a hands on experience with DHD and desire. Was blown away with the mammoth size of dhd... its ideal for reading and surfing on the net, watching movies(if battery allows that is..) the weight is still an issue but it expected to be heavy..

Still didnt get it to inset into my pocket(that croma guy just wont budge to remove the docking chord and insert it into my pocket) playing with phone was a breeze. Cant actually belive that htc didnt gave a pouch to protect the phone..

also got to see desire, equally impressive phone. Cant seriously make up between desire and DHD as there are only minor differences between the two.

Don't forget guys, please do research about the battery life before you opt for DHD. 1200 odd mAh and a 4.3" screen isn't a good idea in my opinion. Desire has 1500mAh with a 3.7" screen and gives juice for about a day's use.

Back