How harmful is a cellular tower near your residence?

There is no conclusive evidence relating any ailment including cancer and "mobile radiation". Most of the hysteria is by and large unwarranted as far as current evidence is concerned. If the tower is at a decent distance (around 100m (as per a french standard)) then you shouldn't have any worries.

The basic idea is this - It could be bad, but we will need to wait for another 5-6 years to asses the mid-term and then another 10-15 years for the long term effects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_radiation_and_health
Want to support this post. Since people think there is a problem let them provide the proof themselves.Otherwise go with what krish said.

2g 'scam' meant higher prices. This radiation nonsense will mean lousy reception anywhere.

Yeah, lets go back to the 20th centruy. We were all so much happier then :)

Last edited:
http://health.india.com/diseases-co...gnetic-radiation-from-mobile-towers-harm-you/
How exactly does mobile radiation cause health problems?
Mobile phones and towers emit electromagnetic radiation having health effects which can be divided into thermal and non-thermal. Thermal effects refer to heating effect which you observe if you hold the phone for long near your ear. Non-thermal effects on the cells, genes and the DNA and are more harmful than thermal effects. Excessive use of mobiles can lead to headache, sleep disturbance, lack of concentration, memory loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and increased risk of brain cancer. Having mobile towers in your neighbourhood can also pose health problems like severe headache, sleep disturbance, constant body pain, memory problems, joint pains etc. The more severe health effects noted include infertility, miscarriage, neurodegenerative disorders (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, etc.), heart problems and cancer.

Yeah, lets go back to the 20th centruy. We were all so much happier then :)
Yes, those were the days. We were enjoying our life without advanced technologies. No mobiles, tablets, ps3 etc. I would be happy to stay without using mobile but those bank rules..... cannot do single online transactions without OTP. So they are forcing people to use/carry mobile phone. ICICI is a step ahead. If you have two accounts then you need 2 unique mobile numbers to register them.

Instead, simply, can't we just switched off during family hours & enjoying 20th century ..
honestly we all say-NO here..

True, I never go out my house, lest I be exposed to those nasty electromagnetic waves from the sun.

It looks like it is time for this.

iUkY0W4.jpg

Heh, this comes with a boat load of qualifiers....

http://health.india.com/diseases-co...gnetic-radiation-from-mobile-towers-harm-you/
How exactly does mobile radiation cause health problems?
Mobile phones and towers emit electromagnetic radiation having health effects which can be divided into thermal and non-thermal. Thermal effects refer to heating effect which you observe if you hold the phone for long near your ear. Non-thermal effects on the cells, genes and the DNA and are more harmful than thermal effects. Excessive use of mobiles can lead to headache, sleep disturbance, lack of concentration, memory loss, tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and increased risk of brain cancer. Having mobile towers in your neighbourhood can also pose health problems like severe headache, sleep disturbance, constant body pain, memory problems, joint pains etc. The more severe health effects noted include infertility, miscarriage, neurodegenerative disorders (Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, etc.), heart problems and cancer.
1) How long is long ?
2) Define harmful
3) Define excessive
4) All those symptoms have been reduced to just one cause is it ?
5) How close does one have to be to a mobile tower to see these effects ?
6) see point 4
7) see point 6)

Not much to go on there is it.

Cell phones are in use all over the world. You think maybe, just maybe, these 'health effects' being talked about would have gained more traction and be less controversial than this.

As I already said above, you can't do anything. Believe this ASAP. Those vendors or companies pay huge amount annually to the building where they place the tower. So believe me there practically nothing you can do.

Police and all, will never listen, as they are also bribed, the inspection officers and all everyone is bribed to write OK on papers.

So better you start adjusting and forget the matter.
Sorry dude I beg to differ. Its not like there is no law for such things. As I said this things have been raised by news papers in the past and action has been taken.
Collect evidence in form of readings of the signal radiations etc and file a complaint. If every one keeps thinking that let someone else take the lead then nothing will ever happen.

Its upto the OP. @sky If this issue really matters to you atleast get the readings done. If the readings are within the permitted level not much to fear.
If not its upto you how much this means to you. Legal procedures do take time but not everything needs to land in court. If you have a registered complaint with the right proof the company will automatically comply and reduce the radiation levels (though increase it again after few months). But you can definitely make a positive impact and create awareness around.

Its of people with thoughts that who will take up all this matter and invest time and go against big companies that those so called big companies dare to bully people.

And yeah signal jammers dont help even a bit in such cases....

The American Cancer Society has a detailed article on cell phone towers. Also, the tin foil hat nuts should educate themselves about the various types of radiation and what effects they'll have on one's health.
Do cellular phone towers cause cancer?
Some people have expressed concern that living, working, or going to school near a cell phone tower might increase the risk of cancer or other health problems. At this time, there is very little evidence to support this idea. In theory, there are some important points that would argue against cellular phone towers being able to cause cancer.

First, the energy level of radiofrequency (RF) waves is relatively low, especially when compared with the types of radiation that are known to increase cancer risk, such as gamma rays, x-rays, and ultraviolet (UV) light. The energy of RF waves given off by cell phone towers is not enough to break chemical bonds in DNA molecules, which is how these stronger forms of radiation may lead to cancer.

A second issue has to do with wavelength. RF waves have long wavelengths, which can only be concentrated to about an inch or two in size. This makes it unlikely that the energy from RF waves could be concentrated enough to affect individual cells in the body.

Third, even if RF waves were somehow able to affect cells in the body at higher doses, the level of RF waves present at ground level is very low – well below the recommended limits. Levels of energy from RF waves near cell phone towers are not significantly different from the background levels of RF radiation in urban areas from other sources, such as radio and television broadcast stations.

For these reasons, most scientists agree that cell phone antennas or towers are unlikely to cause cancer.
soggy316 you were right :)

Last edited:
Whenever someone talks about cell towers and cancer, I go back to the ending of "Thank you for smoking":
Gentlemen, practise these words in front of the mirror: Although we are constantly exploring the subject, currently there is no direct evidence that links cellphone usage to brain cancer.
(PS: I am not saying cellphones cancer or not, just quoting some lines from my fav movie :p)

Ya I also heard about this but I don't think there's any solution to this as everyone is using cellphones and for the networks they need to install the towers at every area... Even there are few near my house too...:)

Towering trouble for hospital
Fearing radiation hazards, Santacruz hospital sends notice to neighbouring building, whose terrace is packed with mobile towers

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2011/jul/270711-Santacruz-BCJ-hospital-mobile-towers-Ratna-Deep-CHS.htm

If hospitals feel troubled, then you too have a reason to feel troubled.

Still not convinced? India High Court decrees no mobile towers near schools, hospitals

http://www.electrosmogprevention.or...rees-no-mobile-towers-near-schools-hospitals/

I feel that the cell tower and mobile health issues are partly true and partly false. Everyone knows the effect of radiation and what happens.

There are people who might be sensitive to mobile radiation also. Some wont be affected.

I feel, yes, lets go by the norms and start telling people to use femtocells. or switch to VoIP phones.

These links are good enough to educate people if they really want to understand specially people who are in late 50's (including my parents), sorry if there any here. They always think that they are living in same world, their younger days, and try to do things their own way and next generation don't know anything as they are less experienced. My first challenge is to educate them otherwise they will be the one who stand aganist me. :eek:

Last edited:
Back