PC Peripherals Help- usb not working

jith77

Adept
I had recently changed my mobo to gigabyte s21. None of the usb ports(front and back) detects any usb device. Any tips for troubleshooting.

Did u check ur device manager and verify that the USB drives are enabled?
Also what are u trying to connect? USB hard drive?

didn you attach/connect the front port usb cable to mobo ?? it is quite possible that you must have detached it while replacing the mobo and didnt reconnect it to internal usb port..just check that thing

jith77 said:
I had recently changed my mobo to gigabyte s21. None of the usb ports(front and back) detects any usb device. Any tips for troubleshooting.

Could be that the USB ports are disabled from the bios..

BTW is the USB ports on the back of the mobo working??

The mobo connection seems to b fine. .removed the cable and tried front usb 2 slot as well . . No luck
what to check in bios? Tried loading optimized defaults. . Still the same
none of the usb is working . . And no root hub is shown in device manager

As far as i rem i didnt update windows. . . Not 100% sure. . . Anyways will be able to use my pc after two weeks only. . . So will check then

it took longer for me too come back to mumbai than imagined....so bumping up an old thread as the issue persists

The Sorcerer said:
If you have the windows xp sp3, you seem to be facing the same issue like this guy:
http://www.techenclave.com/operatin...after-reinstalling-xp-128221.html#post1043224

the OS is XP SP2

stellarhopper said:
dont 'load optimized defaults'
go to the actual setting and check if usb is enabled...esp something like mass storage function usually...

USB controller and USB 2.0 controller are shown as enabled in bios

RamPagE said:
Do 1 thing...
Right click MY Computer>>Manage>>Disk Management

Se if it shows up there ;)

only the drives are shown there...no usb

UPDATES:

1. the USB controllers are shown in device manager...issue was that the USB root hub and some IDE was shown under "unknown devices" with yellow question mark....

2. uninstalled them and the USB controllers and restarted

3. reinstalled them from mobo cd and restarted

4. this time the USB controllers were under unknown devices.....windows prompted the installation and the usb controllers stated coming under USB devices. with this unknown devices(corresponding root hub) started appearing...back to square one...

any one got any clue as to wat to do now

Have you installed the "chipset" drivers which come on the Driver CD of the MoBo ? Actually download and install the latest version of the chipset drivers available on the MoBo makers download page.

Eazy said:
Have you installed the "chipset" drivers which come on the Driver CD of the MoBo ? Actually download and install the latest version of the chipset drivers available on the MoBo makers download page.

installed the latest available INF chipset at gigabyte site...didnt help:(

does usb root hub drivers come seperately or are they a part of usb driver?...

Back