Help needed in Deciding a Router for MTNL broadband connection

prateekS

Skilled
As the title says , Help needed in Deciding a Router for MTNL broadband connection !

Looking at cheapest options , there are http://www.flipkart.com/routers/compare?ids=RTRD8FNGXEWJVGZR,RTRDEZ6AF9V6GYGN

and http://www.flipkart.com/routers/compare?ids=RTRD8FNGXEWJVGZR,RTRDEZ6A5FHHFVGK,RTRD2A52ZD3XQH7H,RTRDFFYGTQ4J9HYF

Whats the difference between TP-LINK TD-8816A DSL2 Wired with Modem Router and TP-LINK TD-8817 ADSL2+ Ethernet/USB Wired with Modem Router (LINK :http://www.flipkart.com/routers/compare?ids=RTRD8FNGXEWJVGZR,RTRDEZ6AF9V6GYGN )

Im getting TP-LINK TD-8816A DSL2 Wired with Modem Router for 733 on Infibeam after "American Express" coupon !

Anyone here having American Express Card?

Would suggest to get the free modem (in bridge mode) from them and use any router of your choice in PPPoE mode. Keep a spare modem if you can just in case.

I've heard that the Internet problem that people face are due to the MTNL modem itself.

I have a wireless router, just need a modem.

Have to pay 200 non refundable, plus 50 per month for MTNL modem, hence was thinking of buying my own.

AFAIK - thats for the wireless one, the wired one should be free - one of my friends does that. Do check.

Wireless one time charge is 500 and wired is 200 monthly charge is 50 for both wired and wireless.

I'm saying that since I'll be paying 200+50/month =800 for the first year, why shouldn't I just buy my own? And pay nothing to MTNL.

I just need to know one thing , does MTNL provide connection from the phone line (RJ11)?

Coz for hathway i have a cable coming from outside , and this cable wont fit in any of the ADSL modems/modems + routers in the market.

I have a brand New sealed TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router (TP LINK WR740N ) , but it having only one Antennae is proving to be a problem as it doesnt cover the entire house.

So im thinking of chucking the MTNL modem and going for a modem plus router ,shortlisted the following two:

1. TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2+ Wireless with ModemRouter (TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2+ Wireless with ModemRouter )

2.TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router (TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router)

Both are 300 Mbps, one has 3dbi Antennae Capacity and one has 5dbi.

ARe there any major differences in the two ?

I just need to know what type of connection MTNL provide - cable one or phone line one (RJ11).

Any inputs ?[DOUBLEPOST=1374433857][/DOUBLEPOST]
D-Link 2750U

Been using it for the last 5 months with MTNL. Setup was a breeze and signal strength covers all corners of a two storey building.

Hmm this one looks good too, have inputs for the ones above ? Prefer TP link.

Also since u already use MTNL , how do they supply the connection? using RJ11 from phone line ? Or a cable from outside ?

I have a brand New sealed TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150Mbps Wireless N Router (TP LINK WR740N ) , but it having only one Antennae is proving to be a problem as it doesnt cover the entire house.
Put up a floor plan. Indicate distances between router & where the clients will be located. How thick are the intervening walls.

I just need to know one thing , does MTNL provide connection from the phone line (RJ11)?

Coz for hathway i have a cable coming from outside , and this cable wont fit in any of the ADSL modems/modems + routers in the market.

So im thinking of chucking the MTNL modem and going for a modem plus router ,shortlisted the following two:

1. TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2+ Wireless with ModemRouter (TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2+ Wireless with ModemRouter )

2.TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router (TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router)

Both are 300 Mbps, one has 3dbi Antennae Capacity and one has 5dbi.

ARe there any major differences in the two ?

I just need to know what type of connection MTNL provide - cable one or phone line one (RJ11).

Any inputs ?[DOUBLEPOST=1374433857][/DOUBLEPOST]

Hmm this one looks good too, have inputs for the ones above ? Prefer TP link.

Also since u already use MTNL , how do they supply the connection? using RJ11 from phone line ? Or a cable from outside ?

RJ11 cable and go with D-Link 2750U

I have multiple connection spots for the same phone number.. So phone line is confirmed, will buy an adsl2+ modem plus router.

I've suggested D-link before for it's broader service network [ after sales service ] but TP Link has longer antenna .. anyway, the Dlink 2750u has dbi rating of 2dbi.

I've suggested D-link before for it's broader service network [ after sales service ] but TP Link has longer antenna .. anyway, the Dlink 2750u has dbi rating of 2dbi.
What do you mean by broad service network. I bought a 2750U which went kaput in three months. There is only one service center in entire Karnataka (in some remote old building in SP Road). Gave it for service on 6th of July and am still waiting. D-Link's service is without a doubt among the worst. When I called the service center few days ago asking for update, the reply was "Sir, it is still with D-Link, if you get any mail from them, let us know". They are absolutely helpless and the worst part is finding the way to the service center. It took good 20 minutes to find the exact building and while I was there, the guy was on phone for 20-30 minutes guiding people to reach the service center.

in short, DO NOT BUY D-LINK 2750U and if you buy one and it goes kaput, throw it in dust bin and buy a new router from Belkin or Netgear or ASUS or Linksys! Period!

sorry to hear about that but in-case of TP-Link they will ask you to courier the package back to their mumbai office which is TP_link's only service center AFAIK but Kaizen handles D-Link RMA ( same goes for Corsair ). This is hwy I said D-Link has broad service network meaning more service centers than TP-link.

In my View; Better to go for Modem and Router [with USB Option] separate, As on today; Asus RT-N13U-B1 is Rs. 2150~2250/- Modem budget Rs. 800/-

Back