Monitors Help me choose new monitor

e-IPS, IPS, or S-PVA all have 178 deg viewing angles.

Only way to know which panel it is, is if the manufacturer specifies it, or you can demo it and look for the characteristic panel traits.

High dynamic contrast is influenced by the backlight system not the panel type.

If the 1920 x 1080 resolution specification is correct, then you can use it as a monitor without issue.

I don't know how Toshiba service is, so you will need to find out.

Got these quotes from a Dell dealer, Devraj Computer's in chennai.

Dell U2312HM - Rs 15500 ips panel

Dell 2412M - Rs 20500 ips panel

Dell ST2420L - Rs 13700 tn panel

price includes free shipping.

Lowest Prices found on ebay were

Dell U2311H - Rs12999 + 499 ips panel

Dell U2312HM - Rs 15199 + 300 ips panel

Dell 2412M - Rs 20300 ips panel

Dell ST2420L - Rs 12850 + 300 tn panel

price includes shipping.

How are 6bit TN panels in terms of color reproduction? Do they differ significantly or not compared to the above 6bit IPS panel? My current monitor is a 8bit p-mva panel, and quite good in reproducing gradients etc.

Since these ips panels are 6 bit, with 2 bits less, they will use some software to blend pixels. Would i see noticeable difference if i compare old and new monitors side by side?

I was hoping for an upgrade in colour, but seems there's only a downgrade now.

8 bit P-MVA.. VX2025wm? If the backlight is dying, try replacing it.

You might not notice the effects of 6 bit + AFRC.

6 bit IPS panels will not suffer from contrast and tonal shifts like TN panels. Even VA panels suffer from tonal shifts.

Your bigger concern with e-IPS will be backlight bleed.

^ on the dot. it is vx2025wm. problem is twofold. backlight is dying (it has become red) and the panel coating in front is getting distorted. There are some weird bubbles coming in the polarizer or coating and that part of screen on top shows as white in dark. Looking from front picture can be viewed without problem.

the dell representative said that production had stopped for u2311h long time back. so next best monitor is the u2312hm which is almost 16k.

seems like i can make a decision only after i look at demo models.

6pack, what's the progress on this.

A question: Does 178/178 viewing angles = ips panel? or can it be e-ips panel?
Asking cause i saw some tv's 178/178 written, but no mention of panel type.
Also 24 inch Toshiba PS10ZE TV uses 10bit processing, Can this tv be used as monitor? has 2 hdmi i think.
The 178 viewing angle tv is a philips 4000 series one. has 1 hdmi and i component i think. 24pfl4555 v7
could it be using e-ips panel?

I've seen that 178/178 viewing angle description even in the specs of some TN panel monitors. There is no way it can be a standard to differentiate between various panels.
I haven't myself ever used or ever seen a TV being used as a monitor but i do not see the logic in doing so. Are such TV used as monitor's ideal for close-by viewing?
Got these quotes from a Dell dealer, Devraj Computer's in chennai.
Lowest Prices found on ebay were

How are 6bit TN panels in terms of color reproduction? Do they differ significantly or not compared to the above 6bit IPS panel? My current monitor is a 8bit p-mva panel, and quite good in reproducing gradients etc.
Since these ips panels are 6 bit, with 2 bits less, they will use some software to blend pixels. Would i see noticeable difference if i compare old and new monitors side by side?
I was hoping for an upgrade in colour, but seems there's only a downgrade now.

TN panels are inherently incapable of producing the same quality of colors as IPS or even MVA panels. Even if they do, the insufficient viewing angles will play spoilsport. Contrast shifts and color tone changes are inevitable.
I doubt you would see the difference although there is no way to confirm that unless you check out some new monitors yourself.

progress on this - its on standby. didn't get time to demo any monitor or tv. i've seen a 26" ips tv from LG. It had same dot pitch as monitor i think. from less than 1/2 foot close to it, i couldn't make out dots in the screen. funny thing is it's native resolution was limited to 1366x768 something. probably limited by hardware or software inside.

Maybe, if we sit 4-5 feet away, a tv could be used as monitor, provided it has hdmi port and we are using it at its native resolution.

ot, i got no pm :huh:

Try reading some text instead.. jagged edges on the fonts will show if the dot pitch is too low.
TVs dont bother too much with small dot pitches cause it makes things more expensive and everyone sits a few feet away from a tv.

Update: my monitor decided to go one step closer to its death. i can now see backlight from behind the screen. weird. i think the high heat from ccfl tubes must be melting the panel from behind.

All the talk of yamasaki catleap & achieva shimian monitors in other threads made me yearn for them. but i decided against them for lack of hdmi ports.

Called up Prime. Dell 2312HM model is for 15k.
There's also a Philips 22inch full hd ips monitor (model no 227E3QPHSU/94 ) for 9.3k. Has hdmi, vga and dvi ports. Is 1" going to make that much difference in viewing tv or day to day browsing/ work activities?
Also the AOC 23" ips monitor has come down in price at 14.5k. All of these are e-ips and perform almost the same.

Is there any other ips monitor in 22"-24" in this 15k price range? i tried calling some philips sales guy for help on their 23"-24" amva range but no one's picking up the phone. maybe i wrote the wrong no while cc was dictating.
Look at the range of non tn panels the company has. only problem is cant figure out who has the stocks of these.
http://www.philips.co.in/c/computer...rState0=HOME_LCD_MONITORS_SU_IN_CONSUMER=true

@6pack, Prime ABGB has a Philips IPS monitor in stock, is this the one you are referring to.

I will still suggest that you go for Dell OR AOC because they are known quantities in the computer peripherals business and their after sales system is geared so.

The 22" --> 23" conundrum is something you will have to face on your own because at the end of the day it is you who is using the monitor not us.

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Got prices for viewsonic e-ips led model :
vp2365wb - 15750 including vat. has 4 usb ports, dvi and vga. no hdmi port.
vp2655wb - 26000. 26" ips monitor. full hd. 16:10 ratio. 1920x1200 resolution. 4 usb ports. dvi and vga. no hdmi port.

got calls from a very helpful philips sales manager. seems they dont have the amva models in stock. the only ips model in stock was the same one prime has.

rest of the models they have are tn panel ones for some really good prices.
236V3 - 8.8k, 23" TN panel full HD LED. tilt adjustment. hdmi, dvi, vga, ports.
273P3LPHEB - 19k TN panel 27" full HD Led. Has tilt, pivot, adjustment. hdmi, dvi, vga ports. 3 usb ports.
247E3LPHSU - 10.6k TN panel, 24" full hd led. tilt adjustment. 2 hdmi, and 1 vga ports. hdmi audio out.
246e2sbh - 10.5k. TN panel, 24" full hd led. tilt adjustment. hdmi, dvi, vga, ports. not visible anywhere on web except some german website. probably old stock.

seems like after searching for 2-3days in the end there are only a few options available now.
a 22" philips e-ips monitor, for 9.5k
a aoc 24" model for 14.5k.
a dell 23" old model for 15k.
lastly the viewsonic model on top for 15k. con is lack of enough ports on this. just dvi and vga. could have atleast put a display port on it like dell did.

can full hd tv's in this price range be used as monitors too? like toshiba 24" or philips 24" which have e-ips panels and are available for 12-14k on net.
probably will go this week to get one of these from prime or computer corner. search for good monitors is pointless. seems nobody buys them here in india.

i'm in a quandary now. i was just leaving to buy the dell u2312hm when i realised it doesn't have a hdmi port which i require to watch tatasky. so i thought of connecting my existing tv tuner through vga, but it only supports a max of 1680x1050 output - probably i will see black bars in monitor or if no bars then lower resolution than input. So, then i searched all over for a hdmi to display port adapter, but seems none of them will output audio with video. and they cost a bomb too. around 1k each.

philips has only one year warranty, so its out of the race. that leaves me with aoc i2353ph. even this has some issues. it's not as good as the dell in response (bit of motion blur) but is almost equal in colour.
its drawback is it has 2 hdmi ports, and i need a hdmi to dvi 18 pin adapter to connect graphics card to this. should i just get a tn panel? all tn and ips are 6 bit panels anyway.

in the back of my mind i still want to get the dell cause its the best ips monitor in the 15k range. above that the other monitors better than this are all in the above 25k range and out of budget.
i would buy the dell if there's any solution to get a hdmi input to the dell monitor cheaply. is there?

@eternoMind, @Jakob, any place to get PA238Q in mumbai? I got a quote of 17.5k shipped from bangalore. it would be around 16.8k if shipping was free.

You should contact primeabgb as their website doesn't have that monitor listed.Theitwares has listed Asus PA246Q online so they might have PA238Q,One round check @Lamington road would give you an idea about the availability of the monitor.
any place to get PA238Q in mumbai? I got a quote of 17.5k shipped from bangalore. it would be around 16.8k if shipping was free.

i'm in a quandary now. i was just leaving to buy the dell u2312hm when i realised it doesn't have a hdmi port which i require to watch tatasky. so i thought of connecting my existing tv tuner through vga, but it only supports a max of 1680x1050 output - probably i will see black bars in monitor or if no bars then lower resolution than input. So, then i searched all over for a hdmi to display port adapter, but seems none of them will output audio with video. and they cost a bomb too. around 1k each.

philips has only one year warranty, so its out of the race. that leaves me with aoc i2353ph. even this has some issues. it's not as good as the dell in response (bit of motion blur) but is almost equal in colour.
its drawback is it has 2 hdmi ports, and i need a hdmi to dvi 18 pin adapter to connect graphics card to this. should i just get a tn panel? all tn and ips are 6 bit panels anyway.

in the back of my mind i still want to get the dell cause its the best ips monitor in the 15k range. above that the other monitors better than this are all in the above 25k range and out of budget.
i would buy the dell if there's any solution to get a hdmi input to the dell monitor cheaply. is there?
@stormblast, so your adapter is a male DP to female HDMI type?

eternoMind, Jakob, any place to get PA238Q in mumbai? I got a quote of 17.5k shipped from bangalore. it would be around 16.8k if shipping was free.

You should contact primeabgb as their website doesn't have that monitor listed.Theitwares has listed Asus PA246Q online so they might have PA238Q,One round check @Lamington road would give you an idea about the availability of the monitor.
@6pack, that is you best option. Also, YGPM.

^ itwares has listed pa238q at 19.2k + 600 shipping.
Asus PA238Q 23 Inch LED Monitor

problem is if i go to lammy, i will end up buying first led TN panel monitor, that has hdmi port - like the benq2420hd. since none of the dell or aoc ips mentioned here has the requisite ports that i want.
Also prime does not have any ips monitor in stock except dell and philips. i asked them twice just to be sure.

Hi

^ itwares has listed pa238q at 19.2k + 600 shipping.
Asus PA238Q 23 Inch LED Monitor

problem is if i go to lammy, i will end up buying first led TN panel monitor, that has hdmi port - like the benq2420hd. since none of the dell or aoc ips mentioned here has the requisite ports that i want.
Also prime does not have any ips monitor in stock except dell and philips. i asked them twice just to be sure.

I seem to be facing the same issue as yours

well Finally I came across something that was launched this September. But sadly I am not sure if this product is in the market yet.But it looks like the best IPS panel available.

I am trying to get in touch with the companies representative, but they are not disclosing anything. probably some marketing strategy or something.

here is the link.

VX70 series Full HD Frameless Display for Ultimate Entertainment - Specs - Product - ViewSonic

Its a viewsonic available in 23" and 27".

So we want an IPS panel here are out best options .

Dell? UltraSharp U2312HM 58.4cm (23) Monitor with LED Details | Dell India

Philips - IPS LED monitor E-line 21.5" / 54.6 cm - 227E3QPHSU/94 - Home monitors - Monitors - PC products and phones

VX70 series Full HD Frameless Display for Ultimate Entertainment - Specs - Product - ViewSonic

AOC Product

ASUS - Display- ASUS PA246Q

21.5'' (54.61 cms)LG IPS225V LED Monitor - Revolutionary viewing, Excellence at every angle - LG Electronics IN

This is all I could find, I am interested in the view sonic model looks good. So which monitor did you buy?
or are you still looking.

Can you tell me the price of asus PA246Q, but this has high power consumption.

If only Dell would have given a HDMI in and head phone out (for the HDMI in ). Then Dell Ultra sharp could have been the best buy.

Please note for getting the Audio of HDMI we need to have a 3.5mm jack audio out or else if you are watching Tata sky in your monitor there will be no sound , because most monitors do not have speakers.

So watch out for 3.5mm jack at the back, Dell is missing this as well .Guess they just concentrated on the picture.

Hope this info will help.

where are you located? and what is the main purpose of use? and budget? what we find on net and what is available in stores is vastly different. i mean - hardly anyone keeps ips panels in shops. its backordered by few good shops only.

i got the aoc i2353ph monitor. i get sound through the monitor speakers via hdmi, but i've kept it to 0. i use the rca out from the hd box to get stereo sound to my headphones.
PA24Q6 is above 22k.

where are you located? and what is the main purpose of use? and budget? what we find on net and what is available in stores is vastly different. i mean - hardly anyone keeps ips panels in shops. its backordered by few good shops only.

i got the aoc i2353ph monitor. i get sound through the monitor speakers via hdmi, but i've kept it to 0. i use the rca out from the hd box to get stereo sound to my headphones.
PA24Q6 is above 22k.

I am located in Noida , actually I have two main purposes 1) Working on the computer 2) Watching HD channels through my Airtel HD set top box.

So how is i2353ph , Here are some important question every Led monitor buyer should ask before Finalizing the product.

1) Is there any back light bleed, if yes then is it so much to hamper TV viewing.
2) When you watch Tata Sky HD on it is are there any ghosting effects due to the 5ms response time.
3) How is the picture quality and color reproduction.

are you happy with it? Why didn't you go for the Philips 227E3QPHSU/94 ? How do the HD channels look in it.

And finally how much did it cost you ? I know it is a bit costlier than the Philips one.

My Budget is not very high but some what flexible. cannot go beyond 20K that's for sure , doesn't make sense buying a monitor for home use above 20K.

Also just received word that viewsonic latest offering
VX2370Smh-LED Expanding Your Viewing Experience Full HD Frameless Display for Ultimate Entertainment - LCD Display - Products - ViewSonic will hit the European market around the 3rd - 4th week of October. Guess we can expect it to arrive here a bit later or around the same time.

So a lot depends on your feed back. please do give a detailed review of your product so that I can make the right choice.

Only some one who has used a monitor for a while can give the most accurate feed back , looking at a monitor for 2 minutes before purchase cannot be taken as a guarantee for obtaining a good monitor.

SO finally here is what I have short listed

1) View sonic VX2370Smh-LED of course will be looking at all reviews before I make this final
2) ASUS PA238Q this of course as we know is good , with little black light bleeding issues.
3) AOC i2353ph this we are hoping that you will guide a detailed review so that we know how good or not good it is

4) Philips 227E3QPHSU/94 : This cannot be very Bad after all its Philips till date every product of Philips I have seen has been Good if not the Best.

So waiting for your review.

Back