Help me choose: Dell XPS L502x or Sony VAIO CB15

With dell XPS you get all the drivers and software CDs + you can opt for the Windows recovery DVD buy selecting it while customizing

well if u r gonna do any gaming den dont go for xps as it has serious heating issues.The xps cooling fan is a stop-start fan and not one dat runs continously . I have an xps L502x wid i7-2630 qm n GT 540m. the temps are as high as 58-59 C wen idle and go as high as 85 C wen gaming(coz of which i do none at all now)...n its jst 3-4 days old. I dont use a cooling pad as of now but i doubt it wud make a lot of difference. Have seen many posts on the internet whr ppl are complaining abt the same heat issues wid the xps15. my opinion....stay away from it.

wayneroons said:
well if u r gonna do any gaming den dont go for xps as it has serious heating issues.The xps cooling fan is a stop-start fan and not one dat runs continously . I have an xps L502x wid i7-2630 qm n GT 540m. the temps are as high as 58-59 C wen idle and go as high as 85 C wen gaming(coz of which i do none at all now)...n its jst 3-4 days old. I dont use a cooling pad as of now but i doubt it wud make a lot of difference. Have seen many posts on the internet whr ppl are complaining abt the same heat issues wid the xps15. my opinion....stay away from it.

Well you are the first one to report heating issue on the XPS.

Is it because of extensive gaming? Or is it a defect?

I own an XPS 15 and can tell you one thing,just go for it... You wont regret the choice..

But if you can,get the MBP 13" anyday....

wayneroons said:

Noise Levels of the XPS:

Idle: 31dB (max: 35db)

DVD: 32.7dB

Load: 39.2-43.8dB (extreme: 47dB)

[Note: 'extreme' means under furmark & prime test conditions]

Heat Levels of the XPS:

Idle:

CPU: 52 "C

GPU: 44 "C

Surface: 25 "C

Load:

CPU: 85-94 "C

GPU: 80-88 "C

Surface: 35.4 "C (wrist area); 37.5 "C (bottom)

(P.S.: These rating would vary with different configs.)

Since notebookcheck has not yet reviewed the Vaio CB, we can use their CA review to compare with XPS 15

Category Xps15 CA

Workmanship 88 88

Keyboard 78 84

Mouse 88 86

Application Performance 89 89

Connectivity 78 67

Noise 76 88

Temp 84 93

Battery 90 76

Impression 86 86

P.S. Since the CA and CB are differ in specifications, I have included only those categories which are comparable with CB for reference. So please do not look at the other scores for CA like Display or Gaming performance because the specs are different from CB - 720p HD screen and AMD 6470M GPU. Plus the keyboard score for CB should be even higher considering its predecessor EB keyboard was much adored by Notebookcheck.

Oh and here's few lines from the CA review for the gurus here who feel the XPS 15 has way "superior" build quality.

"If you think that the Vaio CA is a piece of creaky plastic rubbish because of its looks, you're absolutely wrong. The qualitative, solid build can stand out from many of the "serious" competitors. Especially the stiff lid can set an example."

And yeah as you can see above both the laptops scored same 88% for workmanship/build.

babu.mohan10 said:
Since notebookcheck has not yet reviewed the Vaio CB, we can use their CA review to compare with XPS 15

Category Xps15 CA

Workmanship 88 88

Keyboard 78 84

Mouse 88 86

Application Performance 89 89

Connectivity 78 67

Noise 76 88

Temp 84 93

Battery 90 76

Impression 86 86

P.S. Since the CA and CB are differ in specifications, I have included only those categories which are comparable with CB for reference. So please do not look at the other scores for CA like Display or Gaming performance because the specs are different from CB - 720p HD screen and AMD 6470M GPU. Plus the keyboard score for CB should be even higher considering its predecessor EB keyboard was much adored by Notebookcheck.

Oh and here's few lines from the CA review for the gurus here who feel the XPS 15 has way "superior" build quality.

"If you think that the Vaio CA is a piece of creaky plastic rubbish because of its looks, you're absolutely wrong. The qualitative, solid build can stand out from many of the "serious" competitors. Especially the stiff lid can set an example."

And yeah as you can see above both the laptops scored same 88% for workmanship/build.
But XPS is still the better choice right?

If i'm going for dell, then should i go for the i5-2410M or i7-2630QM?

Is it worth upgrading for Rs.3,075.16?

With 2 more cores, it'll surely improve the performance a lot, but will it affect my battery life to a great extent? (i am going for a 6-cell)

Also, should i uprgrade from 500gb hdd to 750 gb for Rs.1,537.58? (both are 7200rpm)

Is it value for money? or is it asking too much for just 250gb more?

(i've heard that changing the hdd later on is not so easy on the dell)

Can anyone tell me the difference between Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030 and Centrino® Advanced-N 6230? (both come with Bluetooth v3.0)

The former one is single-band whereas the later one is dual-band? What does that mean?

[Dell offers the Advanced one as an upgrade for Rs.502.96]

HyperTech said:
Noise Levels of the XPS:

Idle: 31dB (max: 35db)
DVD: 32.7dB
Load: 39.2-43.8dB (extreme: 47dB)

[Note: 'extreme' means under furmark & prime test conditions]

Heat Levels of the XPS:

Idle:
CPU: 52 "C
GPU: 44 "C
Surface: 25 "C

Load:
CPU: 85-94 "C
GPU: 80-88 "C
Surface: 35.4 "C (wrist area); 37.5 "C (bottom)

(P.S.: These rating would vary with different configs.)
exactly...i dont think lappies wud survive at such temps for long

pauldmps said:
Also the market price of the VAIO is about 52-53k & not 55k as you've listed.
Where:huh: The lowest online price for this model is Rs. 54,000 (53,999, to be precise) on flipkart. Can you tell me where can I get this for 52k? I'm also seriously hunting for a laptop but unable to decide between Dell and Sony.:(

Back