Help me choose: Dell XPS L502x or Sony VAIO CB15

HyperTech

Disciple
Hey guys,

I have decided to buy a new laptop and am confused between these two models. Please help me decide the right one.

DELL XPS 15 L502x (Rs.52,838.13 / Rs.59,125.23 with B+RGLED FHD)

15.6"(39.6cm) HD (1366x768) WLED display with TrueLifeâ„¢

Coreâ„¢ i5-2410M 2.30 GHz with TurboBoost 2.0 upto 2.90 GHz

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM

1GB nVidia GT 525M with Optimus

500GB 7200rpm HDD

6 Cell Primary Battery

JBL 2.1 Speakers

HD Webcam (2.0MP, H.264 Camera)

SONY VAIOâ„¢ VPCCB15FG (Rs.54,990)

15.5"(39.37cm) Full HD (1920x1080) TFT display with VAIO Display Plus and LED backlight

Core™ i5-2410M 2.30 GHz with TurboBoost upto 2.90 GHz (Intel® HM65 Express Chipset)

4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM

1GB AMD HD 6630M with Dynamic Hybrid Graphics System

500GB 7200RPM (Serial ATA) Hard Drive

Intel® HD Audio and Dolby Home Theater® technology

HD WebCam powered by "Exmor" (1.31MP 1280 x 1024)

Let me know your views. It would be great to know the pros and cons of both. :)

The XPS15 has a better GPU while the VAIO comes with full HD screen by default, which is a 6.5k upgrade for Dell.

Also the market price of the VAIO is about 52-53k & not 55k as you've listed.

Now choose according to your requirements.

But, I have heard that the Dell's screen is worth every penny.

Is the Sony FHD screen B+RGLED or WLED?

Can you compare the Sony FHD screen with B+RGLED screen of Dell?

I agree with pauldmps on the price of the VAIO. This makes it better VFM than the Dell. As for the GPU, there isnt much between the 2. I dont know if I should even comment about the color of the VAIO. Keeping that aside, personally I would have gone for it.

Dell's Screen is better. May be even the best in this range. Also the build, speakers, after sales service etc... of the XPS is also better. But for a similar config it costs ~5-6k more than the Vaio. So decide depending on your budget.

My friend is having the same confusion, can't decide between these two laptops. He's tending more towards Vaio because of the FullHD screen, which one's a good deal?

DarkAngel said:
Dell's Screen is better. May be even the best in this range. Also the build, speakers, after sales service etc... of the XPS is also better. But for a similar config it costs ~5-6k more than the Vaio. So decide depending on your budget.
Comparing both screens:

DELL SONY

Contrast Ratio: 646-666 667 :1

Black Level: 0.38-0.41 0.3 cd/m2

White Level: 253-262.2 204 cd/m2

Color Gamut(adobe 1998): 96.6% ???

NOTE: Sony's screen is of the model VPC-EB3Z1E and not VPC-CB15. Considering there won't be much of a difference.

Also, two different stats of the Dell are shown from two different reviews.

a few more question to answer..

Do both of these laptops come with CD/DVD of the software/drivers which are included in the package?

How much battery life can i expect from the VAIO CB15? Can anyone illustrate the battery life comparison of both?

Any specific cons of this VAIO CB15 that i should be aware of?

hide0us said:
I agree with pauldmps on the price of the VAIO. This makes it better VFM than the Dell. As for the GPU, there isnt much between the 2. I dont know if I should even comment about the color of the VAIO. Keeping that aside, personally I would have gone for it.
No problems with the colors as i am going to stick to the black. Rather than being over-flashy! :p

Pros for XPS 15 L502X :
1) Better Speakers
2) Sturdier Build
3) Better Battery Life
4) More color accurate screen (only applies to B+RG FHD not 720p screen)
5) Comparatively better Service

Pros for VAIO CB15
1) FULL HD Vaio Display Plus (relative to 720p screen on xps,1080p is same)
2) Better keyboard
3) GPU slightly better than XPS 15 once overclocked
4) No major heating or noise issues
5) Better value for money

its better that you go to some showrooms like croma,staples,ezone,sony centre etc and check out both the screens yourself (by playing some HD video clips and HD wallpapers of your choice which you can bring in your pen drive) rather than pondering over the stats.

And as per my observation( based on first hand experience not some stats):
1.Dell 720p screen: 7/10
2.Vaio 1080P screen: 8/10
3.Dell 1080p screen: 8.5/10

And you can get Vaio CB15 for 52k including laptop bag.

The problem is that there is no single credible site where the VAIO has been reviewed. So we cannot weigh its pros & cons.

The common consent among experienced members is that the FHD screen of XPS is better than VAIO.

But the VAIO is highly VFM. And I don't think the screen is as bad as unusable.

Going through NotebookReview forums suggests that the VAIO is extremely silent & cool under load. Also the backlit chicklet keyboard is great.

babu.mohan10 said:
Pros for VAIO CB15

3) GPU slightly better than XPS 15 once overclocked
I'd like some more info on this, please.

pauldmps said:
The problem is that there is no single credible site where the VAIO has been reviewed. So we cannot weigh its pros & cons.

The common consent among experienced members is that the FHD screen of XPS is better than VAIO.

But the VAIO is highly VFM. And I don't think the screen is as bad as unusable.

Going through NotebookReview forums suggests that the VAIO is extremely silent & cool under load. Also the backlit chicklet keyboard is great.
I'd like some more info on this, please.

How true is that ! I need a creditable site to compare and review them both . Unless and untill i am not convinced I wont buy a laptop .

DELL's viewpoint:

B+RGLED screen means (slightly) better Video

JBL speakers means excellent Audio (superlative degree used beacause this spec just cannot be compared)

Less plastic means studier Build

nVidia's Optimus means better GPU Switching = more Battery Life

Matte surfaces mean less of a Fingerprint Magnet

More customization means better Options to choose from

and Dell means better Service (atleast that's what i've heard)

But, is it worth the premium? (around 6-7k more)

Also, would love to hear Sony's viewpoint..

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

xtremevicky said:
How true is that ! I need a creditable site to compare and review them both . Unless and untill i am not convinced I wont buy a laptop .
Same goes for me dude. Want some solid reviews of the Sony CB15. Better to know the cons than to repent later.

IMO, go with the Dell XPS 15.. Even with FHD Upgrade you spend 5-6k more than an equivalent VAIO. In return you get better build, speakers, support. Laptop is not just another routine purchase.. You buy it once in about 3 years, so why not save up a bit and get the best one you can get in that range?

And another point that gives Dell the edge is that there is a decent user-base who know or use the Dell.. VAIO no credible review/support..

Btw, I just ended all my Dilemma (Dell XPS 15 vs way cheaper Lenovo Y460p/560p) and ordered the XPS 15 with exact same config given by the OP with stock 720p display from the US for about 36k. Now waiting for my friend to bring it soon .. :p

Go through these

Sony VAIO CB Series (VPCCB15FG) - reviews - Notebooks - All Purpose - Good Gear Guide

Dell XPS 15 (L501x) - reviews - Notebooks - Performance - Good Gear Guide

@HyperTech

here are the results for the E series FHD screen, CB FHD will have about the same or better results.

Source: http://www.notebookjournal.de/tests/notebook-review-sony-vaio-vpc-eb3z1e-nksz-1232/3

Contrast Ratio: 667:1

Brightness: 204cd/m2

Black level: 0.3 cd/m2

CB battery life

High performance mode: 2.5 hours

PowerSaver/ Max: 4.5 hours

babu.mohan10 said:
here are the results for the E series FHD screen, CB FHD will have about the same or better results.

Source: Sony Vaio VPC-EB3Z1E Notebook im Test Mehr Power fr einen alten Bekannten auf notebookjournal.de

Contrast Ratio: 667:1

Brightness: 204cd/m2

Black level: 0.3 cd/m2

CB battery life

High performance mode: 2.5 hours

PowerSaver/ Max: 4.5 hours
i've updated my last post, so that we can compare side-by-side. :)

babu.mohan10 said:
it seems that the L501x beats the Sony.. and its just the predecessor of the L502x that we're talking about.

YouTube - vioz87's Channel

Check this channel for videos of gaming on CB

Couple of +s for CB over XPS15

- Number pad

- VGA Port

- Lighter

Similarly XPS 15 has two USB 3 ports compared to 1 on CB.

Now onto SONY's viewpoint

- A unique user experience

- SONY chicklet backlit keyboard amongst the best in the

- EXMOR powered HD webcam for good low light performance

- Funky styling

- Quick Boot loads Windows 7 in under 40 seconds *

- Quick Web access lets you surf the web in 23 seconds without booting Win7

- Funky accessories like Keyboard skins in different colors (Rs.1700)

Basically the CB is an everyday computing VAIO. It has enough performance to let you do all your daily tasks and enjoy various multimedia features as well. Its not "marketed" as a entry level performance/gaming machine like the XPS is. Of course that does not mean it cannot be used for gaming, its more than capable of playing most games on medium settings at native FHD resolution.

And if you live in a "Sony eco system" CB has Playstation 3 remote play and acts as remote keyboard for your Bravia. It can also output 3D over HDMI to a 3DTV like the XPS 15

So think of it as a relaxed cruiser which will take you places in comfort without any hassle. XPS on the other hand is more like the sports sedan that will please you with its performance and will beg you to drive hard ;)

But the journey won't be as comfy, but more "fun" :p'

So choose the one u prefer, both are very very good machines. Two of the finest entry multimedia performance/gaming 15 inchers.

P.S. No recovery media with CB. You don't get a single disc with the package. I am not aware if the XPS comes with recovery media or not, maybe some XPS owners can shed some light here???

babu.mohan10 said:

This is one of the worst review I have ever seen. The review ends before beginning. No mention of performance or battery life. Even I can write a better review that this.

babu.mohan10 said:
- Funky styling
Don't you think that these are more like gimmicks rather than actually important stuff ?

babu.mohan10 said:
No recovery media with CB. You don't get a single disc with the package. I am not aware if the XPS comes with recovery media or not, maybe some XPS owners can shed some light here???
Yes, no recovery disks. Neither drivers nor the OS. Check here. (just below the specs)

Dell gives the drivers disks (which can also be d/l from their website). It does not provide the operating system or resource disks in the box for Windows 7 Systems. But, a recovery disk can be created for the same. Check here.

babu.mohan10 said:
Couple of +s for CB over XPS15

- Number pad

- VGA Port

- Lighter

Similarly XPS 15 has two USB 3 ports compared to 1 on CB.

Now onto SONY's viewpoint

- Funky styling

i respectfully disagree to some of the points that you mentioned:

1. XPS is as heavy as the VAIO. (Heavy and bulky are two different words)

xps weighs: 2.87kg-2.96kg (6-cell), 3.04kg (9-cell) [confirm here and here]

vaio weighs: 2.85kg [confirm here] (goto specs tab)

2. XPS 2.0MP webcam is as good as, if not better than the VAIO's 1.31MP webcam.

XPS: HD Webcam with Biometric (Fast Access Facial Recognition) (2.0MP, H.264 Camera)

VAIO: HD WebCam powered by "Exmor" (1.31MP 1280 x 1024)

3. Styling and looks depend upon individual taste.

Some prefer matte (dell) whereas others glossy (vaio)

Dell has more of an industrial-mean look. On the other hand, VAIO looks chick and sexy.

Well, IMO the looks of VAIO are slightly girly. But, that's just my viewpoint.

4. Funky accessories are offered by both companies.

Even dell offers many accessories (like different color options) at a premium.

And you can always buy third-party accessories if you wish.

Back