Budget 41-50k Go for i5 6th gen or wait for i5 7th gen ?

princeoo7

On a Journey called Life :P
Skilled
Well a friend of mine was about to buy a i5 6th gen laptop that was asus r558ur for rs.42500/- but now i5-7200u is coming.

So is it a wise choice to wait for 7th gen laptops and if so when can we expcet them to enter the indian market ?

6th gen vs. 7th gen is not a big difference but will it not lower the 6th gen laptop price ?

Not at first initially. For the first few months, if they have a global launch in which India is included, the prices will be usually kept higher. If your friend can wait for 5-6 months then wait it out. Else take a 6th gen.

Is performance difference between similar speced processor of different generations significant?
nope, like around 5% i had seen from 5th gen to 6th. from 6th to 7th there was none in one benchmark test i had read about. these days focus on efficieny to increase battery, not performance. as you can see at same ghz core chip performance is same, just for ultra full hd etc decode etc. they give chip optimisation http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/intel-7th-gen-kaby-lake-specifications

Last edited:
You get a performance boost of negligible proportions if you are upgrading from a 4th gen device

You will see battery improvements upto 50% more - I can get more battery life - upto 6 hours on Haswell vs 9 hours on my Skylake device.

4K decode improvements

Small improvements in GPU performance

Back