deliberately corrupt files !! how to ?

Mr India

Disciple
guys need a way to quickly make corrupt a whole stash of movies ,music etc corrupt ....... like they should not be playable or readable . like file name n size should remain same preferebly but file shuld get corrupted . files comprise 100s n hundreds of MOVIeS , etc so

plus i have 100s of files !! need a simpler slution ,,, plz help frnds at TE !

- - - Updated - - -

cant keep converting 1000's of songs :( plus i also have moviees . i solution i found in that thread i liked but i cant program anythng . Write a program in your favorite programming language that reads in the file, and randomly changes the bits, then saves it.

That or just have it find the size of the file and have it write a same-sized file with random bits in place of actual data.
xkcd • View topic - How do you intentionally corrupt a file, any ideas?

Although I haven't tried this method, but theoretically this should work--
1) Compress abc.mp3 into an obscure compressed format say .PEA, .WIM, .BZip2 (with fastest or store as compression level)
2) Compressed file would be abc.pea
3) Rename the extension of abc.pea to abc.mp3

^ 1000s of files!! sorry, what you are searching for is a virus, and you won't get it on a public forum
Exactly. He can use a virus toolkit to build own virus to corrupt files. I don't know how to, never tried to do such things.
or Just toss HDD on ground from height of 5-6 feet.

naah not looking for virus """i solution i found in that thread i liked but i cant program anythng . Write a program in your favorite programming language that reads in the file, and randomly changes the bits, then saves it.

That or just have it find the size of the file and have it write a same-sized file with random bits in place of actual data."""" anythng like this possible ?

If all the files are in the same folder, use WinRAR with RAR preset, Store size option (no compression) + password. Also enable put each file to a seperate archive option. Once done, remove all existing files, rename new files using command line with .mp3/.avi extension of your choice. It would make sense to first archive all files of single type at first so that rename command is easier.

If you plan to distribute this using DC++, then I would say dont. You are making a jackass out of yourself and in hubs like 5net, you will be banned.

your query did not mention whether you want to recover those files later.
An encrypted drive will be a good way.

If you do not want to recover files and if you are ready to use linux, try to get dirty with this Linux command: dd

It is quick, handy and quite powerful. How it manipulate it is up to you.

your query did not mention whether you want to recover those files later.
An encrypted drive will be a good way.

If you do not want to recover files and if you are ready to use linux, try to get dirty with this Linux command: dd

It is quick, handy and quite powerful. How it manipulate it is up to you.
yeah dnt ever wanna recover them .. when i encrypt them will name also be encrypted , i would prefer not to change name or size maybe 1percent size change is ok . i dnt know linux n am kinda noob in such stuff . can u help ? to me this encryption thng sounds good .....

What is the purpose of doing such a thing? You don't ever want to recover them, but still want to retain the names and sizes of the files. Doesn't make sense.

+1 to what logistopath said.

If you don't want to recover the data at a later point of time, then just deleting the files will work.

If you want to make the deleted files unrecoverable, then software exist for that purpose too.

If you are looking for some nefarious use then there are other forums where you should be looking for solutions.

Back