Buying MacBook Pro makes sense?

Poor Soul, did you not hear about this? - http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/253403/mac_malware_outbreak_is_bigger_than_conficker.html

Next time I wish to do charity, I will pray for you
indian.gif

As an organization, we have started to move away from Macs for desk/ laptops, and we now recommend the same for our clients.

iOS merits a separate discussion.

... [font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Apple perpetuates [/font]the myth of invulnerability[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]. It takes time to develop a patch, but as soon as Apple was aware that the threat existed, it should have proactively communicated to Mac OS X users to make them aware. In fact, it should have provided users with instructions to disable Java and mitigate the threat pending a patch to resolve the issue. The fact that it didn’t is probably a contributing factor to [/font]why the Flashback botnet is as large as it is[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif].....[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]....[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif]Apple needs to be more proactive, and more honest with users about security concerns if it wants to contain future threats and prevent massive outbreaks such as this...[/font]

For the smart commentators - google the cert's in my sig before you click 'post'

On Windows I faced lots of virus problems which even ended up loosing my data. I'm completely fed up with the monthly formatting and that is the reason I'm switching to Mac OS X.

Well OS X is not going to solve this problem?

In any case I don't think a Windows or Mac laptop one will be a replacement for a desktop (Windows or Mac desktop). However if you need portability a Mac laptop (i.e. the hardware) does look cooler than a Windows one
<
but IMO the Windows OS is a lot better. Most of the folks I know get Mac laptops and install Windows 7 on them and that is really a good combination.

^ osx doesnt have as much virus problems as windows due to it being a closed product.you can hardly hear a particular malware hitting it in a year and that too only for a few number of users.And windows 7 is in no way,shape or form even comparable to osx at this moment.your friends who take macs and put windows on it are a bunch of show offs for sure!

1) osx doesnt have as much virus problems as windows due to it being a closed product.you can hardly hear a particular malware hitting it in a year and that too only for a few number of users.

2) And windows 7 is in no way,shape or form even comparable to osx at this moment.your friends who take macs and put windows on it are a bunch of show offs for sure!

Sire you are oblivious to a lot of facts, do read up --

1) Macs are secure, there is once a year attack, but thanks to the fact that Windows is always under the scanner the reaction time to an exploit is much reduced than what was Apple's response to the Flashback Trojan, read here --> http://hothardware.com/News/600000-Macs-Hit-With-BackdoorFlashback-Trojan/ / http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/attacks/232900524 / http://www.investorplace.com/2012/04/the-buggy-side-of-the-apple-halo-effect-more-security-challenges-and-their-remedies-aapl-intc-symc-msft/ / http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/flashback-lingers-despite-apples-fix-the-malware-remains-on-140k-machines/.

In fact Mac users are reacting just like Windows users, in a more naive manner due to the "HALO" of invulnerability people are shocked and end up falling in scams like the Mac Defender malware --> http://mashable.com/2011/05/25/mac-defender-malware-fix/ / http://betanews.com/2011/05/25/apple-finally-admits-mac-defender-malware-is-for-real/.

2) Using Boot-Camp it is perfectly legit [to install Windows on a Mac] and lot of my friends who are freelance designers and photographers have done so with their MacBook Pro's to retain the best of both ends.

Sire you are oblivious to a lot of facts, do read up --

1) Macs are secure, there is once a year attack, but thanks to the fact that Windows is always under the scanner the reaction time to an exploit is much reduced than what was Apple's response to the Flashback Trojan, read here --> http://hothardware.c...ashback-Trojan/ / http://www.informati...tacks/232900524 / http://www.investorp...intc-symc-msft/ / http://www.digitaltr...-140k-machines/.

In fact Mac users are reacting just like Windows users, in a more naive manner due to the "HALO" of invulnerability people are shocked and end up falling in scams like the Mac Defender malware --> http://mashable.com/...er-malware-fix/ / http://betanews.com/...re-is-for-real/.

2) Using Boot-Camp it is perfectly legit [to install Windows on a Mac] and lot of my friends who are freelance designers and photographers have done so with their MacBook Pro's to retain the best of both ends.

1 - i meant in the broader sense and not given the current flashback malware.i have been using mac for the last 3 years and i havent had a virus yet.in the same time i have used windows 7 and i have been infected multiple number of times and its been a tad bit frustrating.

2 - you didnt really get what i was saying.basically i meant getting a macbook pro and just putting windows in it is pretty stupid.you can get a far higher specd machine for the same price which is more optimized for windows 7.

the mac with osx is optimized due to its closed system and that is the main selling point.what i meant was i too have seen people buy macbooks and put windows 7[only windows 7] in it and that kinda sucks the whole value of it.

1 - i meant in the broader sense and not given the current flashback malware.i have been using mac for the last 3 years and i havent had a virus yet.in the same time i have used windows 7 and i have been infected multiple number of times and its been a tad bit frustrating.
Are you always logged in as Admin in your windows machine?

2 - you didnt really get what i was saying.basically i meant getting a macbook pro and just putting windows in it is pretty stupid.you can get a far higher specd machine for the same price which is more optimized for windows 7.

the mac with osx is optimized due to its closed system and that is the main selling point.what i meant was i too have seen people buy macbooks and put windows 7[only windows 7] in it and that kinda sucks the whole value of it.

No it isn't stupid, most people get the Mac laptops for the hardware only (except maybe people who just want to have a Mac laptop/desktop to show
happy19.gif
).

BTW which machines with higher spec and form factor are you referring to at the same price as the Macbook pro laptop that comes with Windows?

<EDIT>: Just realized the OP has already decided on Mac laptop with Windows OS, so guess there is no point posting here further
<

1) I am sorry to take in the broader sense, is to take in every exploit ever created for Mac OS X as well as for Windows OS, now I do agree on the following points --
  • That Mac is overall a more secure platform.
  • Windows is more vulnerable to exploits.

I digress on these points --
Also I do not get how you got infected so easily with your Windows 7 based PC, I mean I have had a legit copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, safe guarded by MSE [since July 2010] and I have just formatted it just once sometime in December 2011 because I needed to implement RAID settings on my hard drives. Windows 7 even without SP 1 was a secure piece of software that I am content with.

I concede that I misinterpreted your second point so I put forth my views, let that argument rest.

Hope you get my point of the story. Cheers!!

i use kapserky btw and it is very good.infact after my windows xp experience i actually find win 7 a lot more stable.

i am pretty sure the 3 times i was affected was due to torrent malware.dont really mind windows and for me getting effected 3 times is not a big deal since i am using it for more than 3 years.it is frustrating when it happens, but no big deal.

No it isn't stupid, most people get the Mac laptops for the hardware only (except maybe people who just want to have a Mac laptop/desktop to show
happy19.gif
).

BTW which machines with higher spec and form factor are you referring to at the same price as the Macbook pro laptop that comes with Windows?

<EDIT>: Just realized the OP has already decided on Mac laptop with Windows OS, so guess there is no point posting here further
happy19.gif

i guess stupid wasnt the right word but if i wanted a win 7 laptop,i do prefer to spend money on something which will give me more specs really.i would say even though the mac hardware is awesome,i do prefer sony or dell if i am spending that type of money and am only certain on win 7.

Actually it makes a lot of sense. There are very few laptops/portables that rival Mac Book Pro in overall build quality for a similar price tag. The sole bad part about it for me is the sucky Mac OS. So why not just get an MBP and install Windows 7 through boot camp. You can still use Mac OS if you want while retaining Windows. While there are things that are not every well optimized for Windows, but I have always found that Windows performs a lot better than Mac OS on the same Mac hardware especially once you start using it heavily.

While there are things that are not every well optimized for Windows, but I have always found that Windows performs a lot better than Mac OS on the same Mac hardware especially once you start using it heavily.

I found it otherwise. Windows on MBP gets heated quickly, gives less battery back up.

Actually it makes a lot of sense. There are very few laptops/portables that rival Mac Book Pro in overall build quality for a similar price tag. The sole bad part about it for me is the sucky Mac OS. So why not just get an MBP and install Windows 7 through boot camp. You can still use Mac OS if you want while retaining Windows. While there are things that are not every well optimized for Windows, but I have always found that Windows performs a lot better than Mac OS on the same Mac hardware especially once you start using it heavily.

sorry brother,i got a macbook pro and tried bootcamp on it and it plain sucked.it was too buggy and most of the time unresponsive.i thought maybe it was because of the bootcamp.Then i actually used my friend's macbook[same specs and upgraded ram] and he was running only win7 and it also sucked,got too hot and was plain shitty windows experience really.

mac osx for normal use is fantastic and way faster than windows 7 for me at this very moment.the ease of using the touchpad and the browsing on safari is just too good.i prefer win 7 on my desktop.

sorry brother,i got a macbook pro and tried bootcamp on it and it plain sucked.it was too buggy and most of the time unresponsive.i thought maybe it was because of the bootcamp.Then i actually used my friend's macbook[same specs and upgraded ram] and he was running only win7 and it also sucked,got too hot and was plain shitty windows experience really.

mac osx for normal use is fantastic and way faster than windows 7 for me at this very moment.the ease of using the touchpad and the browsing on safari is just too good.i prefer win 7 on my desktop.

At my previous workplace, every x86 based iMac/Mac Pro/MBP that we had (about 400 of them) had one version of windows (XP/Vista/7) and one to two versions of Mac OS (Tiger + Leopard/Snow Leopard) loaded on them. They were used for intensive work and for development on both Windows and Mac OS, so sorry I don't agree with you.

^ osx doesnt have as much virus problems as windows due to it being a closed product.you can hardly hear a particular malware hitting it in a year and that too only for a few number of users.And windows 7 is in no way,shape or form even comparable to osx at this moment.your friends who take macs and put windows on it are a bunch of show offs for sure!

The only reason Mac OS has less malware is because of its negligible market share compared to windows which makes the effort not even worth while. A huge number of flaws are reported for Mac OS, but there simply aren't enough malware writers who would exploit them. And yeah, There are a number of people who have Windows or Mac OS on their MBPs or iMac's. You are just naive if you think all people who use Mac's can get by with just Mac OS on their systems.

I found it otherwise. Windows on MBP gets heated quickly, gives less battery back up.

yes, have have faced part of it ourselves i.e less back up on MBP's and a wee bit hotter. The CPU power saving features don't seem to under under Windows when installed through boot camp. But the hardware does perform very well with windows. My iMac used to have Windows, Tiger and Snow Leopard. With a similar setup (development/debugging tools + environment closely resembling a professional DTP setup) on both Mac OS and Windows on same iMac, Windows used to boot in 3~3.5 min and Mac OS used to take 5~7 min. Further Mac OS would be quite unstable with the rainbow wheel appearing quite often when doing stuff.

As for Heating up, its something very common with MBP's even with Mac OS. Our 17" MBP's that we used for work used to heat up a lot. They were built to be portable power houses supposed to be used for intensive professional work on the move and there will be an obvious price to pay for that performance. Our MBP's used to run hot enough to burn burn the skin off your lap if you are careless enough to put them on your lap. Its something you have to accept when buying an MBP. Do note that I am talking about MBP's from a few years back (Core 2 based) and I am not sure how the Sandy Bridge versions fare in terms of heat.

^ i agree about the low market share part but i will stick by my point and still feel that its better to pay 60 k for a better specd machine if you are going to run windows.

i have heard a lot about the heating issue,but every laptop i have used until now had an heat issue which has led me to think that its a bit difficult given the portable nature of the products.And yeah in my personal experience windows 7 runs a bit shit on the macbook pro currently in comparison to lion.i dont have much experience with tiger,but had a bootcamp setup a year ago when using with snow leapord.mac booted around 55 seconds and windows normally took around 2.30 mins on my machine.every task i performed including windows based products like powerpoint,excel and word were way quicker,better and a lot more easier to use on the mac osx than windows 7.

even now my mbp does everything a bit better than windows and a lot faster.i also feel that given my usage its perfect for me,but, since i am not really a professional user so cant comment on your office experience and usage.

How about the battery life?

my 2 and a half year macbook pro is currently giving me 4 hours of battery life with pretty good usage.movies,browsing,emails synced,lots of spreadhseets and lots of apps opened.when i bought it however it easily gave me 9 to 10 hours.

^ go ahead with it.its been one of the best investments i have made.it is still working as crisp and smooth as it did when i first used it.

#[member='vantheman5211'] News flash for Flashback --> http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2012/04/flashback-infections-not-waning-after-all-650000-macs-still-hijacked.ars.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Apple and a variety of third-party software providers have offered free tools to diagnose and cure Flashback infections. As researchers started seeing fewer bots reporting to their sinkholes, they assumed the decline was the result of end users patching and repairing their Macs. Now, those assumptions are open to debate.[/font]

Haha!

Mac book pro Laptops are best Laptops in the world and favorite of many top CXOs.

Apple Macbook pro Laptops have best screen quality, available with QUAD CORE i7 processor and latest graphics.

MD313HN/A MacBook Pro 13" Dual-Core i5 2.4GHz/4GB/500GB/HD Graphics/SD Rs. 69,900.00

MD314HN/A MacBook Pro 13" Dual-Core i7 2.8GHz/4GB/750GB/HD Graphics/SD Rs. 84,900.00

MD318HN/A MacBook Pro 15" Quad-Core i7 2.2GHz/4GB/500GB/HD Graphics/Radeon HD 6750M/SD Rs. 104,900.00

MD322HN/A MacBook Pro 15" Quad-Core i7 2.4GHz/4GB/750GB/HD Graphics/Radeon HD 6770M/SD Rs. 124,900.00

MD311HN/A MacBook Pro 17" Quad-Core i7 2.4GHz/4GB/750GB/HD Graphics/Radeon HD 6770M/SD Rs. 142,900.00

You can buy Apple mac book pro Laptops online in India from www.Laptopwale.com and www.letsbuy.com.

Back