Bought MHI 1.1T 5 star! Updated with PIcs!! More Pics on Pg 3

Which AC, given size constraint, should I decide on based on lowest cost of operation?

• Other lower star, lower tonnage?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yeah I know. Despite all my research, I settled for a last years rating :(
I was highly tempted to go for the 41k R410a inverter machine which is superior in ALL aspects. The cost for both plus install plus electrician (had to install new phase, etc) would have set me back by a bit too much. Didn't want EMI.
Math-wise, my usage (3-4 hours a day, 3-4 month/yr) didn't justify the upfront spending of 8k extra. It would have taken 6 years to recover the cost...
It was either this or the Hitachi. Finally said to myself, STOP OVERANALYSING and went for MHI because I liked its build quality. As a comparison, I can say that it is leagues ahead in terms of speed of cooling and comfort at 25 deg to my 4 year old 1T Voltas Vertis.

On paper I really like the Hitachi Inverter too. Others with a better budget can go for either that or the MHI inverter - The Pune dealer is quite competent and helpful.

41K would have got you a Sharp 1.5 Ton Invereter AC which is way more powerful and efficient than that MHI. MHIs after sales is horrific.

41k is a myth or perhaps Kolkata gets a special subsidy. Even the new locally made XP18PHT/PMT is still 48k everywhere else.

Bought one XP18PMT yesterday in Delhi @41k but it was after very hard negotiations.

Vijay Sales lowest price came to 42k and on top of it, there was a 5% cashback offer for Citibank card holders. I got super happy but unfortunately the offer started just yesterday so they didn't have code in their CC machine. After spending 45 minutes, IT guy, got it updated from bank but 2nd problem, this Sharp model was not in their offer list. They had all discontinued models, IT guys tried but finally gave up and said it will take 2 days. Otherwise it would have been Rs.39900/-. This Citibank offer is for Sharp products only from Vijay Sales.

Eddy hunt hard buddy , Even Snapdeal is selling it for less than 40K leave alone us privileged Kolkatans!!

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/sharp-ahx18petwhite-15-ton-split/536733757
But if you buy on snapdeal no warranty is provided! If you go to sharp site it clearly mentions this
Note: No warranty will be provided for the products purchased from snapdeal.com

As everyone was saying its available at 41k, I checked with 3 dealers and the lowest price offered was 48k which included installation charges. The highest was 52k. So if its really available for 41k its a deal!

Eddy hunt hard buddy , Even Snapdeal is selling it for less than 40K leave alone us privileged Kolkatans!!

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/sharp-ahx18petwhite-15-ton-split/536733757

That's a different model (AH-X18PET). It doesn't have few features.

And I won't risk warranty of a split AC when (as mentioned above) sharp website clearly mentions "Note: No warranty will be provided for the products purchased from snapdeal.com"

http://sharpproducts.in/productdetails.aspx?cid=13&id=285

As everyone was saying its available at 41k, I checked with 3 dealers and the lowest price offered was 48k which included installation charges. The highest was 52k. So if its really available for 41k its a deal!

I bought XP18PMT for 41k but it costed me 45k total.

Rs.41000 AC, Rs.1500 installation, Rs.650 stand for ODU, Rs.540 for 6 meter extra electricity cable and Rs.1300 for extra 2 meter copper pipe.

Except 41k for AC, all other charges were paid to Sharp (their authorised service partner) for installation.

* I already had the transformer of my previous AC.

Yes 1T for my room is sized right.
41K would have got you a Sharp 1.5 Ton Invereter AC which is way more powerful and efficient than that MHI. MHIs after sales is horrific.
Yes, but because of the added decision of the 2nd AC I couldn't spend that much in one go. Plus wasn't convinced about the math in favour of inverter ac, espcially for my usage.
But, from all these years at TE, I am well aware budget stretches are an oft encountered temptation :p even though this time I resisted it. So let's not talk about what 'could have been' etc..

Also, what details do you have about this horrific ASS for MHI? Anything specific?

My friend has a MHI , he bought it last year.The AC though has excellent build quality but has very poor after sales as the ass is taken care by dealers who just swap parts from other new or old acs if something goes wrong! He had a low cooling and idu water leakage problem and he had to spend to spend 3 months to get it get it rectified. Dealers dont give a crap after you buy it. But the ac is built like a rock,I wish it only had a proper ass. Sharp has MHI compressors inside. This is the sole reason why I went for a Sharp over a MHI.

@ Prime ,its a Inverter ac for 39K none the less and thats my point.A few features like laundry and plasma ions is something i can easily look over for the electricity savings which i can vouch for as Im using AH-XP 18MV for over a year now and havnt used the plasma at all. Coming to the price and warranty part, when i went to buy my ac it was selling for over 46K everywhere last year but I did get it for 41K and that too with EMI from Bajaj Finserv ! Had it been cash I could have bought it for Rs 40,200. So you have to look around.If snapdeal is giving it for 39 K then there has to be a way even in local markets where you can buy it around that price if one has the drive and bargaining skills.

... Im using AH-XP 18MV for over a year now and havnt used the plasma at all. Coming to the price and warranty part, when i went to buy my ac it was selling for over 46K everywhere last year but I did get it for 41K and that too with EMI from Bajaj Finserv ! Had it been cash I could have bought it for Rs 40,200. So you have to look around.If snapdeal is giving it for 39 K then there has to be a way even in local markets where you can buy it around that price if one has the drive and bargaining skills.

Whoa!!!

INR 40.2K for a AH-XP18MV a year ago is a stellar job. Great bargaining vvvinashhh. Keep it up.

The best I got was INR 40.5, though I settled for INR 41K as the the dealer who was ready to provide sub 41K price was too far away from my home.

I once wrote how I bargained for my 18MV: http://www.techenclave.com/communit...ht-sharp-ah-xp18mv.141110/page-2#post-1793092

^ Relax Rishi, everyone has read your thread! :) Although could you specify this 'established online dealer' that had it listed online for 44.5k? I noticed there was no response from you when people asked you who your dealer was as well. When I was researching availability online last year, I never once saw the XP18MV priced sensibly online. In any case, Sharp seems disinterested in the South Indian market, which is why I gave up hunting for them.

Sharp has MHI compressors inside. This is the sole reason why I went for a Sharp over a MHI.
Any pics? Thats akin to Suzuki putting a Honda engine under the hood i.e. very unlikely. And if this is true, the locally made compressors are going to be a HUGE drop in quality.

My friend has a MHI , he bought it last year.
Which MHI model is this?

And if this is true, the locally made compressors are going to be a HUGE drop in quality.

I'm curious to know the basis for the assumption that anything made in India necessarily brings with it a dip in quality, and conversely, an imported (CBU) or something produced outside is bound to be better. I'm not entirely disagreeing, but accepting such a thing axiomatically may just undermine some of the good work the Indian industry is (may be) capable of.

Just wondering...
PS: I'm not sure I am aware of examples, but it's a point worthy of discussion..

Nothing to do with the Indian industry, but MHI does not have a factory in India building compressors. So who's supplying the compressors to Sharp now?

I'm curious to know the basis for the assumption that anything made in India necessarily brings with it a dip in quality, and conversely, an imported (CBU) or something produced outside is bound to be better. I'm not entirely disagreeing, but accepting such a thing axiomatically may just undermine some of the good work the Indian industry is (may be) capable of.

Just wondering...
PS: I'm not sure I am aware of examples, but it's a point worthy of discussion..
Its got everything to do with the mentality of the Indian industry. The government tries to enforce strict manufacturing and safely norms and everyone cries saying its hard to implement. Lax norms = low quality standards in the full manufacturing process. I haven't seen anyone trying to outdo European or Japanese standards for a change. Even our 5 star ratings are probably just 1 or 2 star according to Euro standards.
Instead of derailing this thread we should shift this talk to GT.

@ eddy , just open a Sharp AHXP ac and you will know. Please can you shed some light as to which company apart from Daikin makes rotary (dc) compressors locally?Even Daikin imports half of the stuff from Japan China and Thailand and assembles here.Videocon had plans of Rotary comp plant. Please I would love to be enlightened. In ac industry it is very true that every honda has a suzuki engine and vice versa. What do you think Voltas and whirlpools and bluestars and Vestars make their own compressors. You think its that easy? Very few make them on their own same as LCD panels which Sony dosnt make but gets it from Sharp.Clear? It happens in this industry , i can give you zillions of examples. Have you heard of Tecumseh? Google . Trane ? Goodman ? Google. Theres more to the world of ACs than Hitachis and Daikins.

Last edited:
@ eddy , just open a Sharp AHXP ac and you will know.
I do not have a Sharp. Thats exactly why I asked you in my earlier post to show us some pics of the compressor! I could google Tecumseh and Trane since you feel I'm living under a rock and haven't heard these brands before, but that still wouldn't show me a pic of an MHI compressor in the Sharp! :)

I was under the impression the 'Made in India' label actually meant made in India, and not assembled in India or imported. Please do correct if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure why you have made this about a Sony-Sharp JV (which ended in 2012; is there a handbook with all these facts about Sharp? Why no mention of Samsung or LG supplying panels?) or about AC manufacturers who import/rebadge and do not use the Made in India label.

P.s.: Hitachi-Highly manufacture their compressors in India. I think Panasonic too. Edit: Did not notice your edit about the DC compressors, in which case I have no idea if either are manufacturing DC compressors here. But you have misunderstood my point.

Samsung dosnt supply panels to Sony any more thats what has ended my buddy,its Sharp now who supplies it to Sony. LG and Philips does each or used to use each others Panels. Even Loewe uses panels made by Sharp Samsung or LG. As for the Compressor I cant climb on the sunshade on the fourth floor of my building and risk death to tell you that Sharp uses MHI DC Rotary Compressor, again Google and save my Soul!!!

I just dont get your logic, why do you think that if something is MADE IN INDIA , everything has to be literally be made in India???!!! They say they make the Jaguar XJS 2015 in India so do you believe they make everything in India in that car? Is it possible, They say Agni 5 is made in India ,you believe that the Cryogenics are made in India or are RUSSIAN? They say Tejas LCA are made in India , but the engines come from GE USA!!! Clear?

If Hitachi makes their compressors in India great, but their PCBs are made in China!!! But whats the problem??? Dont tell me to open up my Hitachis too!

Back