Car & Bike Bike wiring have been cut off in society parking ...

26k is a huge amount for any society charges. I do hope they provide ample security in general.

1) Do you have an allotted space or you park your bike randomly? ie whereever u find the place in the congested parking lot..?
Even if its the latter, it shouldnt go against your case tbh.

2) You most def should get the matter reported and bring to the concerned people's notice.
Best would be to take few neighbours with you + other two wheeler owners. Our society in general only listens when they see numbers stacked against them. Also, as djmykey mentioned, get the signed copy of the complaint and the repairing bills for your own record.

Its allocated space, actually its covered parking lot of my neighbor. Its almost vacant always so I park my bike there with his permission ofc.

It might be rats also. I have seen them trying their teeth on bike wires especially if there's food remains around the vehicle. Bangalore city is infested with rats of all sizes with varying strength. If you are in Bangalore, this might well be the case. It would be better to ask around and get your neighbors' opinions too.

Can it the work of a mouse or rat?
Had happened to my car. It should be mostly that.

But have you ruled out the rats?

There are no rats in the area. Wires have smooth cut, like they have been cut from stripper/cutter ... See pics... 20130529_113932.jpg20130529_130309.jpg

Its time you short list your enemies and hire a sniper ... cause doing that to my bike would not be ok.. EVER !!

Now how do I prevent it from happening again ! My flat is on 9th floor, so Installing cctv to keep watch on my vehicle parked in neighbors parking sound absurd... Second option is to install bike security / alarm system...
But I'm not sure if they have feature like alarm will go off whenever someone try to temper with wiring, without moving the bike... :confused:[DOUBLEPOST=1369855882][/DOUBLEPOST]
Its time you short list your enemies and hire a sniper ... cause doing that to my bike would not be ok.. EVER !!

lol ... Now after this incident I'm afraid to buy new bike even if it is in distant future :mad: ...

Looks like a local roadside mechanics job to me. In my area we have come across such incidents where petrol, spark plugs and even the rear wheel of a Yamaha bike were stolen by someone in dead of night. Police say its probably local mechanics who want to do a fast buck since they get customers to their shops. Since original parts are costly, and people want to get their bikes repaired fast, they end up visiting such roadside shops.

Only way to avoid this is to light up the parking area with two or three cfl lights and pay watchmen more money to guard place properly. Worked for us and few buildings near us. You could install dummy cctv cameras too with wires.

Looks like a local roadside mechanics job to me...
people want to get their bikes repaired fast, they end up visiting such roadside shops.

Only way to avoid this is to light up the parking area with two or three cfl lights and pay watchmen more money to guard place properly...
You could install dummy cctv cameras too with wires.

Quite true there matey. That is a fantastic post summing things up nicely.
To add one more solution to the list, as the OP mentioned it being an empty slot, he can exchange the place with a car owner maybe?

What about buying a bike cover, preferably one which can be locked?

I always use the bike cover for my motorcycle to protect it from the environment, but it can also be locked from down below if need be.

Not saying this is possible here or not but many a times the watchmen are also involved with the miscreants.
That will be true where societies have people making a fuss on increasing 500 bucks a month towards watchman's and sweepers expenses. I've seen watchmen work in 2-3 buildings because its become harder for them now to provide for their families back home. Most of the money they earn in one place is spent on rent and food. So they work almost 18 hours a day in 3-4 buildings to send rest of the money they earn back to their native place. Our locality buildings increased these guys monthly salary by 1000 bucks and they work in groups to guard societies at night. Its more cost effective for larger societies having lacs in their accounts to increase salary by 2k. If 24k extra a year will safeguard 25 or 30 bikes in a society its a very good deal IMO. It will make watchman happy and owners happy too.

Yep looks like wire cutter only. Try whatever others have suggested and deduct the amount incrementally from the annual maintenance.

yup, will try for that...

Looks like a local roadside mechanics job to me. In my area we have come across such incidents where petrol, spark plugs and even the rear wheel of a Yamaha bike were stolen by someone in dead of night. Police say its probably local mechanics who want to do a fast buck since they get customers to their shops. Since original parts are costly, and people want to get their bikes repaired fast, they end up visiting such roadside shops.

Only way to avoid this is to light up the parking area with two or three cfl lights and pay watchmen more money to guard place properly. Worked for us and few buildings near us. You could install dummy cctv cameras too with wires.

Ours is big society, 11 multistory buildings + few row houses. Say area is around 3 acres. And there are only 4 watchmen to guard all. So cant expect him to keep an eye on my bike especially coz area he has to guard is huge.

or you can use gas pipes to shield your wiring .. those pipes are impossible to cut.. and i tried with a damn saw.. :(

Interesting suggestion, but does it come in bigger size ? Household gap pipes are too small to accommodate thickness of wiring harness...

Not saying this is possible here or not but many a times the watchmen are also involved with the miscreants.

Actually I have same doubt. Watchmen here are just sitting ducks most of the time and they are in twenties. Doesn't even appear like they are trained for this job.

Quite true there matey. That is a fantastic post summing things up nicely.
To add one more solution to the list, as the OP mentioned it being an empty slot, he can exchange the place with a car owner maybe?

Not likely since its not my parking.

What about buying a bike cover, preferably one which can be locked?

I always use the bike cover for my motorcycle to protect it from the environment, but it can also be locked from down below if need be.

Are you talking about the cover that come with straps (metal rings at the end) at the bottom & we can put lock through them? I had one of those but the straps were flimsy and could be torn with little force.[DOUBLEPOST=1369944141][/DOUBLEPOST]This will help to understand things a bit ... society.png

We have 5 security guys for three buildings and cctv. we also have three dogs, mongrel, owned by none, loved by all.
monthly maintenance is 2K+

Just four guys for your huge CHS is pathetic. take this matter seriously. How's the patrolling?

Bike
You can claim the insurance, but you'll lose the NCB.

For the NCB, I would suggest weigh the insurance claim you will get right now and the NCB you will save. Go for whatever is more profitable.

We have 5 security guys for three buildings and cctv. we also have three dogs, mongrel, owned by none, loved by all.
monthly maintenance is 2K+

Just four guys for your huge CHS is pathetic. take this matter seriously. How's the patrolling?

Bike
You can claim the insurance, but you'll lose the NCB.

For the NCB, I would suggest weigh the insurance claim you will get right now and the NCB you will save. Go for whatever is more profitable.

Patrolling is sub par.

Claiming insurance wont help much since only 50% cost of plastic parts is covered, add to that bike is 5+ yr old so there will be 50% depreciation on that. And for insurance I'll have to go to authorized SVC where they rip off the customer in labor charges. I'll be better off getting it done from a trusted mechanic outside.[DOUBLEPOST=1370077451][/DOUBLEPOST]Update: Now Society manager says the DVR wasn't on for the recording of cctv footage and he himself switched it on today :mad:. It wouldn't have been of any real use though coz they have been set up so poorly, hardly cover 20*15 ft.

Back