Car & Bike Bike wiring have been cut off in society parking ...

I have Pulsar 220 Fi which is about 5 n half year old. I didn't use the bike since 3 days. Today when I try to switch it on, it just wont. Looking closely near the engine block I observed the spark plug wire, ECU wire, injector wire and few other wires have been cut off !!

Our society has cctv installed but the place where I park my bike is not in the field of close by camera. So its difficult to identify the person who did the job even if I check the footage.

Now my question is, can I demand compensation for the damage caused to the housing society ?? We pay 26k annually as maintenance charge, isn't it society's responsibility to provide security ??

Anyone with legal insights on this issue ?

Shameless behaviour.

Try to bring it to society's notice, even if you don't have any chance to be reimbursed. Others would be more wary and perhaps the perpetrator will shun any further actions for fear of being caught.

Even if CCTV was not installed where your bike was parked, can't you pick the location closest to your bike being monitored and go through everyone who can be a suspect? I know this is very hard as you would have to go through every possible direction, but if you can chart out the timeline, it might come in handy.

Can you claim insurance on such actions? I'm not sure about it. I don't have any real legal insights.

@abhifusion I thought you lived in a row house. Anyway, you are better off getting your bike fixed than demanding a refund from the society. Saying that, you should still talk to the Secretary and you need to point out that if nothing is done in this regard you will deduct the charges incurred to you while paying the next year's maintenance fee. If at all they turn a deaf ear towards this, type out a letter stating that you are gonna deduct your losses. Make that letter out to the secretary, take 2 prints, ask the secretary to sign on one copy with the date and keep that signed copy with you. In case of any disputes you can show them your copy. Also preserve the SC bills for the bike in case anyone asks for proof of expenses. Not that you will go on showing the receipts, but if at all matters go to head.

Last edited by a moderator:
26k is a huge amount for any society charges. I do hope they provide ample security in general.

1) Do you have an allotted space or you park your bike randomly? ie whereever u find the place in the congested parking lot..?
Even if its the latter, it shouldnt go against your case tbh.

2) You most def should get the matter reported and bring to the concerned people's notice.
Best would be to take few neighbours with you + other two wheeler owners. Our society in general only listens when they see numbers stacked against them. Also, as djmykey mentioned, get the signed copy of the complaint and the repairing bills for your own record.

It might be rats also. I have seen them trying their teeth on bike wires especially if there's food remains around the vehicle. Bangalore city is infested with rats of all sizes with varying strength. If you are in Bangalore, this might well be the case. It would be better to ask around and get your neighbors' opinions too.

my friends car had seriously huge dents caused by some bike parking in the township , did the township reimburse him for damage , nope

If the society is taking money from you for parking your bike in their compound, its their responsibility to provide security against theft and vandalism to your vehicle. You should check out the cctv footage if you haven't done so already. Take a copy of the footage for proof. If society won't reimburse you damages for the vehicle, you can deduct those expenses from the annual charges they take for parking.

I have Pulsar 220 Fi which is about 5 n half year old. I didn't use the bike since 3 days. Today when I try to switch it on, it just wont. Looking closely near the engine block I observed the spark plug wire, ECU wire, injector wire and few other wires have been cut off !!

Our society has cctv installed but the place where I park my bike is not in the field of close by camera. So its difficult to identify the person who did the job even if I check the footage.

Now my question is, can I demand compensation for the damage caused to the housing society ?? We pay 26k annually as maintenance charge, isn't it society's responsibility to provide security ??

Anyone with legal insights on this issue ?
Can it the work of a mouse or rat?
Had happened to my car. It should be mostly that.

If the society is taking money from you for parking your bike in their compound, its their responsibility to provide security against theft and vandalism to your vehicle. You should check out the cctv footage if you haven't done so already. Take a copy of the footage for proof. If society won't reimburse you damages for the vehicle, you can deduct those expenses from the annual charges they take for parking.

You do realize that whenever one parks their bikes / cars in theater / malls and even pay for them, still the parking slip has a note saying "Parking at owner's risk".
No one will take the accountability.

I have same incident to my bike but it was done by mouse,you can easily know if it's done by mouse or man,generally mouse cut wire with their teeth so it look like some one had bite it and if it was done my man with blade or scissor ,wire cut with edge cutting...
Just look closely if you can..

You do realize that whenever one parks their bikes / cars in theater / malls and even pay for them, still the parking slip has a note saying "Parking at owner's risk".

The charges are only for the space used, nothing else.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using TechEnclave Forum mobile app

Maybe OT...But speaking about society security... The security thing in my society(in Mumbai suburbs) and a few others in the same town has gone for a toss....
We have two watchmen positioned at two gates of our society.
Last year some theives stole car audio systems(both the panel and the system) in three cars in my society and in a few others...all in one single night... by accurately cutting out the driver-side door glass and getting in easily without any alarms... and guess what, they even stole deodorant cans and some change/cash from the cars.
P.S.: I was one of the victims...:banghead::hungover:

Yes, but they have mentioned it properly.
26k is around 70 bucks a day. If the society has not mentioned about parking at owner's risk, they will have to pay the amount. Else why are they taking money from people? Have they mentioned it clearly in charges that the money is just for parking?

If the vehicles are parked in the society premises then in literal terms its protected from the outsiders, but each & every vehicle cannot be monitored individually, if the rats are the culprits then nothing much can be done, but if there is anyone who is vindictive then thats the main problem, trying to install security alarm systems in own premises is like installing security alarm in ones own wallet.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using TechEnclave Forum mobile app

Shameless behaviour.

Try to bring it to society's notice, even if you don't have any chance to be reimbursed. Others would be more wary and perhaps the perpetrator will shun any further actions for fear of being caught.

Even if CCTV was not installed where your bike was parked, can't you pick the location closest to your bike being monitored and go through everyone who can be a suspect? I know this is very hard as you would have to go through every possible direction, but if you can chart out the timeline, it might come in handy.

Can you claim insurance on such actions? I'm not sure about it. I don't have any real legal insights.

Talked to Society chairman, need to put forward this point in general meeting as of now.... CCTV monitoring would be tough since its span of 4 days and backside of parking area isnt covered by any camera... One can see whose entering from front but it'll be indecisive ...

Insurance will cover very little cost like 15-20% since its 5+ yr old bike , so even if thats possible its not feasible...

Talked to Society chairman, need to put forward this point in general meeting as of now.... CCTV monitoring would be tough since its span of 4 days and backside of parking area isnt covered by any camera... One can see whose entering from front but it'll be indecisive ...

Insurance will cover very little cost like 15-20% since its 5+ yr old bike , so even if thats possible its not feasible...
But have you ruled out the rats?

Yes, but they have mentioned it properly.
26k is around 70 bucks a day. If the society has not mentioned about parking at owner's risk, they will have to pay the amount. Else why are they taking money from people? Have they mentioned it clearly in charges that the money is just for parking?

Generally speaking,
As per a recent ruling, Builders cannot charge a house owner for parking space separately.
I am pretty sure the same can be extended to the societies as well. So yes, they should be charging for the security fs. Whether that became automatically implied after the ruling or not, i think people can site this ruling for their cause.

@abhifusion I thought you lived in a row house. Anyway, you are better off getting your bike fixed than demanding a refund from the society. Saying that, you should still talk to the Secretary and you need to point out that if nothing is done in this regard you will deduct the charges incurred to you while paying the next year's maintenance fee. If at all they turn a deaf ear towards this, type out a letter stating that you are gonna deduct your losses. Make that letter out to the secretary, take 2 prints, ask the secretary to sign on one copy with the date and keep that signed copy with you. In case of any disputes you can show them your copy. Also preserve the SC bills for the bike in case anyone asks for proof of expenses. Not that you will go on showing the receipts, but if at all matters go to head.

I live in flat re. Seeing the attitude of secretory its unlikely he'll sign the letter. But deducting the charges from yearly maintenance is good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back