PC Peripherals Benefits of branded PSU?

Re: Benifits of Branded PSU?

rajuwaste said:
Your answer is like you should use so and so switch otherwise your tube light will mall function and even blow one day it will not give that much of lighting.
LOL.. I pity you if you really think a PSU is to a computer nothing more than what a power switch to a tube light. Try choke instead of switch if you really want to draw a parallel to a tube light. You use a crappy choke and its going to reduce the life of the tube light, burn it out suddenly or sometimes even explode.

rajuwaste said:
I don't want to go into marketing gimmick of corporate world there are dedicated marketing team to make consumers believe one thing is necessary obviously it is there in internet also.

Really? I guess you must have filled your house with crappy and cheap no name TV, Fridge and other electronics/electrical stuff because according to you its all a marketing gimmick and stuff made with poor quality components should work just as good as stuff made with good quality components. Before you make any further comments, I suggest that you take a good look inside the internals of your crappy no name PSU and then head to the internet and look up the internals of a similarly rated quality PSU. I have personally moved from using crappy PSU's (many years back after learning my lesson the hard way through experience) to quality PSU's and I see and feel the difference between the two every day in terms of hardware longevity, stability and power efficiency and needless to say the safety.

rajuwaste said:
As far as I know most of the systems sold in our area without premium branded psu like corsair and I didn't hear any major news about hardware failure because of this.As I already told normal users don't want high efficient psu like corsair only gamers those who buy dedicated graphics card will require that.

You know what? Just a while back I read about a guy had been using a world war II time unexploded shell in his garden for welding for close to 40 years. Recently his son was using it for the same purpose and guess what? It exploded. Needless to say, the guy is history and family is quoted saying that they had been using it for so much time without anything happening. I guess they didn't see it coming? They didn't for saw an unexploded shell exploding at some of time just because they were using it for 40 years?

See if you want to sit on a landmine and hope that it doesn't explode, its your prerogative. Just don't go about giving the same bad advice to others. If someone else suffers because of your bad advice, you would not take any responsibility for it now would you?

Crazy_Eddy said:
This may be shocking, but most generic PSUs dont even meet the minimum ATX specs with voltage regulation and ripple.

So true that is. I have myself seen a 450W labeled generic (ColorsIT) PSU that was pumping out 14.5V on the 12V lines at idle. Under load it was dropping as low as 10.8V People use PSU's like that and then wonder why their systems are unstable and why they frequently run into problems.

Re: Benefits of branded PSU? Look to electronic science

One of the main benefits of a branded smps like corsair or cooler master is the surge protection capabilities. No matter what the power level or fluctuation, a branded smps will make sure that none of ur components get a sudden burst of electricity.

Sadly many non-branded smps units dont have these capabilities. Simply translated:! example of my friend who saw Diwali come early inside his cabby!! all because of a cheap smps....

++
The worst thing about a PSU is that once a sub-standard unit is plugged in, there is no preventive maintenance. It could/will start to cause deterioration of it self or components wired into its sockets. There is no way what so over to check if it is running fine or doing the damage. On the flip-side same can be said for a perfect-O Corsair unit. We do not know that is working correctly. But corroborating details/reviews/component specification it can be safely assumed that these units will run fine in the short/long term of usage.

It is purely mythical and none ideological to assume that per say only gamers or GPU mounts needs standardized PSUs. The way technology has evolved even non-power hungry components require clean and ripple free power. Basically the switching and multiple point requirements are so extensive in nature that sub-quality PSUs just do not cut the ice.

A. Used a bad PSU --> Learnt to use a good one.
B. Read about good PSUs --> Use a good PSU.
C. Read about good PSUs --> Ignore, use what they get ---> Bad PSU.
D. No nothing about good PSUs --> Using what what they have.
E. Asking questions --> Should move to B.

One can choose their path of enlightenment.

OP, Good that you asked this question.

1. Branded PSU's are generally termed reliable, but not necessary. It depends on how good it is built internally. For eg:

Good components = Good in the long run

Good + medicore components = Not necessary good in the long run (depends on many other factors like if there is no power fluctuation then they might last longer)
2. Branded PSU's are actually built by OEM's not the company themselves excluding few like Seasonic, etc.. which are OEM's & also retail suppliers.

Finally About generic PSU's they are built with/on a decade old technology & they are Pentium 4 certified which at today's date is not sold by Intel at all. They also flout the regulations laid by the ATX standards.

And more importantly they have no certification of protection like OVP, OCP, SCP etc......

According to me, when purchasing PSU's people should not go by brand name but by their build quality of their internal components.( check my PSU on my sig)

It's only natural for the ignorant to cut down on the PSU. I was the same once, when I bought the current PC in my signature 2 years ago.

My mentality that time was, a PSU is just a PSU. It works, whether you buy a Rs 400 one or a Rs 4000 one. There's no performance improvement or anything and you get the same power rated PSU as well. So I'll save money here and go for a better CPU/GPU. Also, none in my friend circle ever used a quality PSU. All of their PCs work fine as well and they said its unnecessary for spending so much on the PSU and would make no difference.

But after reading about the importance of quality PSU here in TE, I immediately bought the Corsair VX450 for peace of mind. Never knew there was so much going on inside of the PSU and that make it one of the most important components in the box, against my perception that it was one of the least important ones :p I've even been laughed upon by a few of my friends for buying a 450W PSU at Rs 4000 when you can get the similar or better 'rated' PSU for under Rs 500.

Anyway, even for normal PCs with no discrete GPUs, you can get a decent quality PSU like the Gigabyte Superb 460 for around 2k. It's already pretty cheap, as you're paying only about 1.5k extra as against a no name PSU.

Guys yesterday I asked this question.And now I have learnt my lesson.You guys might not believe but,my PSU died on me this morning.It stopped sending power to my hard disk suddenly,and when I started to boot , bamm!! my PC didn't recognize my HD.And then I thought about it,"thats why my HD kept disappearing all the time because of low power supply".

Guys due to this PSU my PC always used to freeze cause it just cant put enough power for the rotor to move.Dude it's like low voltage at your home when your ceiling fan moves slowly.Damn it!!!!

Man am considering to buy either one of these:-1)Silverstone 500W Power Supply (SST-ST50F)-------offers 1 year warrty

2)Seasonic 500W PowerSupply (S12II-500)-------Offers 3 years warrty

please suggest......

And once again thanks all you guys ....

Now you know the value to a branded PSU. I think you will never forget this lesson in your whole life. Now as your precious data is lost, time to go for dual shopping :p

And i think Seasonic will be better as it comes with 3 years warranty so 3 years peace of mind :)

Crazy_Eddy said:
Post your rig specs as well.

I'd lean towards the Seasonic S12II.
Summary

CPU

AMD Athlon II X2 240 37 °C

Regor 45nm Technology

RAM

3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)

Motherboard

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M61PME-S2P (Socket M2) 47 °C

Graphics

Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)

GeForce 6150SE (Gigabyte)

Hard Drives

488GB Seagate ST3500418AS (ATA) 41 °C

Optical Drives

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C

Besides this am thinking to buy a Video card around 9K so you can include that too.

Local PSU has the bare min internal components, with the least quality to make things work. It doesnt auto turn off on overpower/underpower. It doesnt turn off on short circuits. It doesnt do power factor correction. Its output has lots of fluctuations, and its enough to make the system unstabe if its loaded more than 50% it's rated capacity. They might even explode taking some expensive PC components with it. Also working on voltage with lots of ripples can shorten its life, like CPU, mobo, gcard and HDD. You can tell if its branded or local just by holding it. Local one will weigh like 400~500gm while branded ones will weigh a min of 2KG and above. They uses good standard transformers, OCP and OVP circuits, active PFC circuits, high quality Japanese/Korean Capacitors, high quality PCB and soldering professionalism, good quality and lengthy component cables, good boxing with earthing, and min of 3 years warranty upto 7 years for some.

The main factor is system load. If its a bare min configuration, consuming like 100~150W max, then local PSUs might handle it (Still not recommended), like a local 450W or 500W rated ones. In-detail testing of such PSUs states, it cant even take 200w+ load, and it might exploded, just die silently, catch fire and the fire might kill other PC internal components or even burning up the house's main fuse :p

A good branded PSU can handle almost 110~120% its rated power, say a VX450 can be loaded to almost 550W+ and it still runs fine, and when it reaches its limits, the OCP and OVP kicks in and turns off the PSU safely.

@OP

a VX550 for 4.5k is a safe bet with a 9k GPU, and it leaves room for some future upgrades as well. a VX450might do the job, but ive experienced many quality related issues with VX450 in past, so wont recommend it. A Seasonic S12II 520W is also good option for 3.5k, but the former would be better.

Guys I bought an eXtreme Power Plus 650W.Cuz there was other option available in my area.I bought it for 4900/-.What do you guys think?

It was a hard time convincing my parents though.

Ameet148 said:
Guys I bought an eXtreme Power Plus 650W.Cuz there was other option available in my area.I bought it for 4900/-.What do you guys think?

It was a hard time convincing my parents though.

Ameet, that is a grossly over rated unit. And there have been quite a few cases of the unit failing abruptly and/or supplying component damage output. Believe TE, we have seen umpteen examples of this unit causing issue.

None the less. We can undo this. IF you are open to online distribution get the unit returned (even if you forfeit some revenue) and TE can help you get a better standard PSU.

asingh said:
Ameet, that is a grossly over rated unit. And there have been quite a few cases of the unit failing abruptly and/or supplying component damage output. Believe TE, we have seen umpteen examples of this unit causing issue.

None the less. We can undo this. IF you are open to online distribution get the unit returned (even if you forfeit some revenue) and TE can help you get a better standard PSU.
My dad will literally kill me,if I'll be returning the PSU:ashamed:.As my system config is

CPU
AMD Athlon II X2 240 37 °C
Regor 45nm Technology
RAM
3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz (5-5-5-18)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. M61PME-S2P (Socket M2) 47 °C
Graphics
Default Monitor (1280x1024@60Hz)
GeForce 6150SE (Gigabyte)
Hard Drives
488GB Seagate ST3500418AS (ATA) 41 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I don't even yet have a graphics card now ,but sooner I'll be getting 9800GT @3K.

I guess it wont damage my PC configuration.:huh:

I want to replace this shit,but unfortunately I can't.

^^

Ameet that is the same strain of PSU be it 600W or 650W. If you "really" cannot go for a quick switch -- use the PSU but be careful. Never OC any component, when ever you get a GPU make sure it is not too power hungry and highly efficient. Do not run stress inducing synthetics like OCCT/LinPack. Keep the cabinet nice and clean specially around the PSU area.

When you can, switch to what we earlier suggested. Make do with what you have.

asingh said:
^^

Ameet that is the same strain of PSU be it 600W or 650W. If you "really" cannot go for a quick switch -- use the PSU but be careful. Never OC any component, when ever you get a GPU make sure it is not too power hungry and highly efficient. Do not run stress inducing synthetics like OCCT/LinPack. Keep the cabinet nice and clean specially around the PSU area.

When you can, switch to what we earlier suggested. Make do with what you have.
Ok I'll be careful.

Thank you

@OP - I really feel for you. You were using a cheap PSU and now you spent 5k for a better PSU but it turns out its not a great PSU either. :(

But take heart. Its definitely MUCH better than your old PSU. :)

Back