Believe it or not, my brother bought his first mobile phone

at the age of 52.

Funnily he had bought me my first mobile as a gift, when it was first launched by Spice way back in 1992 or so. He had paid a whopping 24K I think for a huge phone.

He never wanted to be 'contactable', so never bought a mobile for himself in spite of everyone including my dad yelling at him. When he used his sons mobile on a trip, I think he realized what phones can do, and just got himself a Galaxy note [ebay seller delivered in less than 24 hours and good price too].

Now he wants wifi [yes no wifi either], and is getting a tablet too. Completely on the tech bandwagon now. Gonna post in the appropriate forums for recommendations.

I think he is the only human being I know who did not have a mobile.

Do you guys know anyone who does not have a mobile when they can afford one?

Considering around 10 yrs back, I can cite plenty of examples. I myself did not have a phone until 4 years back. As of now, my grandmother still refuses to keep a cell, she prefers to use other cell's OR land lines where ever available.

me too i only started using mobile phone after joining work
<

He might mistake the tablet for Note+
<

BTW it's a no brainer, get the iPad 2 . Rumours have it that March will see a iPad 3 release. Word of importance: rumour

Congrats quite a story

This brought back memories of the time when my dad had his first mobile phone and the calling rates were Rs.16/min outgoing and Rs.8/min incoming (on BPL I think)....And the phone was good old Nokia brick (literally
<
) with monochome display and monophonic ringtones
<

i remember my dad having the huge motorola and also a bpl cellphone that ran on aaa batteries. even actor amir khan seems to have just started using cellphones (read it somewhere). i remember my first cellphone - motorola l7. weirdly enough it is still working after 7 long years.

Even i was not keen to get mobile.But when my dad made a blunder.I got the one after he forced me.

He bought me nokia 2100 for 6.4k without bill whereas market price was 5.4k with bill.

I started using mobile phone Only at Oct 2007 and my first model was the Motorola L9 and now have Samsung Galaxy Ace. MY father started to use mobile right from 1997 in chennai . Then It will work only in the limits of chennai City and beyond that he switches off when coming to home town.

I have three people in my home and 9 mobile phones. However only 6 of them are actually in use. About 5 years back, there were a number of people among my relatives who didn't have a mobile phone, but these days every one has at least one if not more.

Although my mom aged 57 years has a no frills Nokia phone in her bag, she barely seems to use it. Recharges once in like 2 months. I wouldn't complain though. They belong to the previous generation and grew up with letters, post cards and telegrams. Might be hard to use a basic cellphone for texting someone leave alone a smartphone! My dad OTOH is quite a tech savvy guy and keeps himself updated with the latest trends in tech. He uses an E63 and is quite comfortable with it.

When &amp; what was your first mobile phone ? Share your comments here
<

No can do! It is called thread-jacking. Open up a separate thread if you need to.

First cellphone came in our house when i was in 9th standar , it was a Reliance CDMA 900 bucks
<
, the next cell was sony ericson K510i , 32 mb memory not expandable , vga camera for whoppinh 8k
<
when i was in 11th std .

My first cell was a Spice in my 2nd year of graduation.

Then it was like a craze
<
, changed in following order Spice->China Cell ->w580i->LG Cookie ->Samsung Galaxy 3 -> Samsung Galaxy S2.

Although my mom aged 57 years has a no frills Nokia phone in her bag, she barely seem to use it. Recharges once in like 2 months. I wouldn't complain though. They belong to the previous generation and grew up with letters, post cards and telegrams. Might be hard to use a basic cellphone for texting someone leave alone a smartphone!

I've given my mom two basic model cell-phones even though she almost never makes an outgoing call.

The issue is, she doesnt even recharge the battery! (which is why i've given her TWO mobiles. in case she forgets to charge one, i call her up on the other mobile and ask her to put the first one on charge.
<
)

EDIT: Mod's messin' with ma post!
<
its my MOM .. NOT my non-existent girlfriend..

I have a friend who still does not own a cell phone, but does own Apple iTouch 32
<

People who dont depend on others might little need a cellphone, like me who needs to call up my friend for assignments and projects.

My dad and mom did not have a cell. But since a certain incident with the landline, mom and dad both have mobiles.

Heck they are dual sim ones
<

My history: Nokia 6600 (2006) > Nokia 5610 (2007) > Nokia 3210 (2008) > Samsung Galaxy Spica (2010) > Samsung Galaxy S2 (2011); Samsung Focus (2011)

On a different note; i would love to lead a life free of the nuisance called he mobile phone....alas due to work circumstances cant be without one..and life is a mess because of it!!!! ...oh how much i hate a mobile...(and also keep wondering if its really worth spending those megabucks on something i so much i hate!!!!!)
<

Back