Asus RT-N13U B1 - DD-wrt thread

Finally made it to work with repeater with DD-wrt yipee

Waiting for HD prices to go down need a dedicated one for this.

Final Edit on first page from my side as i have sold my device i wont be able to assist completely

Thanks for ur help Dinjo. because of the tutorial given by u on page 1; I was able to setup my router for downloading in less than 30 mins

hey , i need one small help. Everything is working in a perfect manner, but json resets itself after improper shutdown of the router.

I know it has been discussed earlier on this page itself but i fail to understand this line "Remove this line

Remove this line from startup script

wget http://www.3iii.dk/linux/optware/settings.json -O /mnt/data/torrents/.config/transmission-daemon/settings.json.

Can someone please guide me/give me a walkthrough to this part. I dont understand where to find this line. As in which start up script ??

And happy new and prosperous year guys.

Check the startup script , if you cant find this line seriously how did you make the setup.

Ok now this is working as my repeater cum torrent downloader.
Anyone installed media server on this? I want to use it with panasonic tv which dlna compatible media server.

I did installed last time around , you need to install mini dlna or twonky but twonky is a resource hungry on the router

And how was mini dlna working on this? After switching on transmission it is already showing 2-4mb ram free.

I wonder what effect another service will put on this.

Thanks for this guide. I've been thinking of setting up a file server. Was wonderng if i should buy a used laptop or this router with a USB. Both are somewhat the same price.

Router , since using a laptop continuously can result in decreasing its lifetime which is not the case for router.

I got my router today, however no matter what, I can't get it into "recovery" mode for dd-wrt
<
. My stock firmware is 2.0.2 for b1

-> Followed guidelines exactly and dinjo and official wiki

-> Disconnected everything (only my Lan cable connected to LAN 1)

-> Even disabled Wifi to be sure

-> Now removed the wire, waited for 10 seconds, Pressed reset and insert the wire into router, the Power option starts blinking...

Now when I use Firmware tool (Version [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
ASUS RT-N13U Rev.B1 utilities 4.1.3.9 which ASUS recommends for firmware 2.0.2​
[/font]
)

All set but as soon as I start the process, it says connecting then a countdown, then finally it says that the wireless device is not in rescue mode
<

Cry for help to dinjo and others here.

Did you try putting static IP address on your computer? If not, you have to assigne a static IP address of 192.168.1.2 to your computer and the Gateway address of 192.168.1.1, then connect the computer to LAN1 of your router in revocery mode.

I'm facing an issue similar to cbrcoder and the only difference being that the Asus Firmware Restoration Utility (AFRU) throws an error "Failed to upload firmware. Please check the connection between your computer and router". I have followed all the steps from the guide by dinjo (fantastic work, btw).

As suggested I disabled all the adapters (including wireless) on my Win 7 laptop except the LAN. Disabled firewall, set manual IP. Removed the WAN connection from the router leaving only the LAN cable from my laptop and got the router in "recovery" mode where the power LED blinks in a 1 sec interval. Then when I try to load the asus-to-ddwrt.trx file from the AFRU, I get the error in bold above.

I did a couple more checks:

1. Tried to ping the manually set IP of the laptop 192.168.1.2 (success). Tried to ping the gateway 192.168.1.1 (FAIL)

2. Restarted the router (power off-on) and after the default Asus firmware (2.0.2.0) is booted, I'm able to ping the gateway 192.168.1.1

3. Configured the network adaptor on the laptop for DHCP and then put the router in "recovery" mode. It failed to assign IP resulting in the adaptor getting a private range of IP 169.X.X.X

4. Thought this might be a problem with Win 7 somehow or the many VPN connections I have on my laptop (though everything disabled for time being) and tried to do the same procedure with my Linux desktop. Both setting the IP manually and pinging the gateway as well as DHCP has failed.

I even tried using the oldest version of the AFRU 4.0.9.1 as someone in the DD-WRT forum suggested it but no success. Also tried both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the utility. Once I click upload in the AFRU utility it randomly goes to 40% to 50% and then the error is received.

I think somehow I'm not able to communicate with the router in recovery mode. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

TIA

Thank you dinjo for the response.

I searched google a lot but couldn't find anyone mentioning a process to upload the firmware to the B1 using TFTP. Everyone seems to be able to use the AFRU. I checked the link from your post above and it has a generic TFTP flash process and one Asus WL500G specific one. I'm confused which one to try on a week old router. Anyways TFTP needs to communicate with the router on 192.168.1.1 which I'm not able to ping in the recovery mode but can be pinged when normally booted.

Alas! The low power download rig + wireless router, a combo which looked very enticing with DD-WRT on it, has been like India's tour down under.
<
So much promise yet remarkably stunted!

TIA

Back