Android Mobile Phone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tcpip : head to xda developers forum.

there are detailed instructions about how to root your phone.

there is difference in unlocking (which means you can operate other than T-Mobile sim) and Rooting (which means you can install your choice o android roms)

if you feel confusing buzz me with the link of thread you are following.

RC27 of original T-mobile ROM allowed rooting, later ROMs dont allow so you have to downgrade first to RC27.

and yes to use your G1 you need to have active google account, and gprs if you dont have gprs you can start with wifi too just browse few pages back on this page i have posted about how to start with wifi.

Without wifi / gprs you can not proceed further :(

@tcpip, You have to unlock your phone in the first place to log into the phone and see which version of the Android is installed in your phone. (Getting root access is different from unlocking the phone).

@doc, you beat me in posting the info :p

See thats exactly the confusing stuff.. I understood that unlocking and getting root are two different things..

for activating the wifi.. I need information on the firmware version which is only possible if I unlock

Then even for rooting I need to know my firmware version..

I have also read that its possible to unlock after rooting.. hence my dilemma and I am lost altogether even while writing this.. I want to both unlock and root, I have wifi to start with.

Thanks for your inputs

i think if you press the power button , the call button and the menu button simultaneously while powering on, you will reach the screen from where you can find your radio version and if your motherboard is of the type that can be flashed with a different SPL.

tcpip said:
Hi There,
Just got myself a G1, its a locked peice and I would want to root it and be able to use it with the local service providers.
I have read messages about how to root it and they always start with Do this if you have this version(RC##) and do that for the other one.. BUT no where has it been mentioned that how to check your version if the phone is locked, all I see on my G1 is Setting up you T-Mobile G1 which does not work as I dont have GPRS settings. Even setting up the wireless requires me to identify certain version.
Please help!! thanks

Yes, I tried the following..

holding the Camera button while powering on.. I found it here

That is for installing another SPL but it needs the G1 to be rooted first.

I tried this and I came to a screen as described as a standard red-green-blue bootloader

This is the information I got from my G1

DREA100 PVT 32B

HBOOT-0.95.0000

CPLD-4

RADIO-2.22.19.26I

The second line indicates that this is a stock G1 SPL. So what can I infer from this so as to progress on my mission to unlock and root?

Thanks

raymasky said:
i think if you press the power button , the call button and the menu button simultaneously while powering on, you will reach the screen from where you can find your radio version and if your motherboard is of the type that can be flashed with a different SPL.

BTW.. Pressing CALL, MENU and POWER is a reboot on G1 :p

sorry... kinda got confused between the three finger salute and the two finger salute... !! :p

I suggest you do some more research on XDA-dev. There have a comprehensive guide to flashing custom firmware listed there.I think there are two types of mainboards...and PVT ones are the ones that can be flashed without bricking the device...then again ..i'm not sure ..its been a long time since i've followed that process. But be aware.. flashing a different radio / spl doesnt automatically unlock your phone. That will have to be done by purchasing a unlock code on ebay (costs about $10 -$12) .

P.S : READ THIS : http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=442480

tcpip said:
Yes, I tried the following..

holding the Camera button while powering on.. I found it here

That is for installing another SPL but it needs the G1 to be rooted first.

I tried this and I came to a screen as described as a standard red-green-blue bootloader

This is the information I got from my G1

DREA100 PVT 32B

HBOOT-0.95.0000

CPLD-4

RADIO-2.22.19.26I

The second line indicates that this is a stock G1 SPL. So what can I infer from this so as to progress on my mission to unlock and root?

Thanks

BTW.. Pressing CALL, MENU and POWER is a reboot on G1 :p

i have no idea about how to unlock the phone.

if you start / boot the phone and it asks to activate the phone then you need to put your gmail userid and password there.

there after it will boot and if it accepts your simcard then its already unlocked.

if it doesnt accept your sim and says no network or unrecognised sim then you need to unlock it first then you should attempt the rooting.

So just to put things in the right perspective/order..

a> get the phone unlocked

b> get root

c> activate wifi

d> mod/install

yup...that should be the sequence. Or after unlocking...if you manage to get a sim card with GRPS activated ..you can activate the device there itself...

tcpip said:
So just to put things in the right perspective/order..

a> get the phone unlocked
b> get root
c> activate wifi
d> mod/install

Great got my G1 unlocked by getting code off Ebay

Now, its the pesky google activation troubling me..

I have tried the following set of APNs, none worked yet

Name: airtel (this does not matter i guess)

APN: airtelgprs.com

MCC: 404

MNC: 92

MNC: 90

Port: 8080

MNC: 92

what APN settings work for Airtel Mumbai postpaid?

Have you activated Mobile Office ? Airtel Live wont work on G1!! APN seems to be correct. airtelgprs.com works fine on my G1!

True. You need Aitrel Mobile office (and not Airtel Net on Phone- which supports only http and port 80). Restore APNs to default and then register new APN for Airtel Mobile office.

You only need this info :

Ok, activating Airtel MO

:( will take upto 4 hours to activate, how can I verify if it has been activated sooner?

ok.. one question..

If I change my sim/carrier in future, (I am thinking of buying a new connection)

I will have to perform a Google activation again? is the google ID bound to this SIM?

Or can I use the same google id for other sims as well?

You can use the same google ID. Once you sign in..everything is tied to your google account...and the only way to lose it is if you do a factory reset ..or wipe and flash another rom .

tcpip said:
ok.. one question..
If I change my sim/carrier in future, (I am thinking of buying a new connection)
I will have to perform a Google activation again? is the google ID bound to this SIM?
Or can I use the same google id for other sims as well?

kippu said:
guys what are the must have apps of the android market :D

Some of the stuff i have installed :

Google Stuff:
Google Maps
Google Goggles
My Tracks
Listen
Finance
Scoreboard

others:
Handcent - for sms