AC turns off during Hot Weather

faustine

Recruit
Sep 23, 2023
My cousin owns a Daikin non inverter ac from 2017. But he had this problem that his ac won't turn on during peak afternoon hours. So he asked Daikin to take a look at it, and the service guy told him that it's due to outdoor unit overheating due to hot summer climate (we live in Indore), and whole lot others are facing the same issue and that there's no quick fix to this.

So, my main question is, how correct is this assessment ? I have been looking to buy my first ac, have zeroed in on the 1.5 ton Panasonic 5star ac (model : CS/CU-NU18ZKY5W), wanted to know that if such a thing happens to Panasonic ACs as well. If yes then is there any way to prevent this.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
My cousin owns a Daikin non inverter ac from 2017. But he had this problem that his ac won't turn on during peak afternoon hours.
Is this something that recently happened. Since when has this started. Presumably everything was fine upto last year. You got 6 years trouble free operation and only this summer things are not working?
So he asked Daikin to take a look at it, and the service guy told him that it's due to outdoor unit overheating due to hot summer climate (we live in Indore), and whole lot others are facing the same issue and that there's no quick fix to this.
Can I assume the outdoor unit is already kept in a shaded area?

lockhrt999

Not a Fan.
Skilled
Aug 22, 2011
Your cousin should keep his outdoor unit in the shade.

Other than that, most brands have special desert series AC which can work at above 50C. For Panasonic it's CS/CU-QU series. But you don't need it unless you happen to live in an actual desert.

gtlogic10

Disciple
Oct 5, 2021
Yes the outdoor unit should create better cooling in the room and somewhat earlier if placed under the shade. With the ongoing heatwave all over the nation, any AC with however high BTU and BEE rating would struggle for certain amount of time before the cooling effect is felt.

Emperor

Skilled
Jan 12, 2006
is it possible that machine generate it's own heat + External Heat can reach above threshold or up to 50C ?

AK3D

Adept
May 8, 2007
www.flickr.com
My cousin owns a Daikin non inverter ac from 2017. But he had this problem that his ac won't turn on during peak afternoon hours. So he asked Daikin to take a look at it, and the service guy told him that it's due to outdoor unit overheating due to hot summer climate (we live in Indore), and whole lot others are facing the same issue and that there's no quick fix to this.

So, my main question is, how correct is this assessment ? I have been looking to buy my first ac, have zeroed in on the 1.5 ton Panasonic 5star ac (model : CS/CU-NU18ZKY5W), wanted to know that if such a thing happens to Panasonic ACs as well. If yes then is there any way to prevent this.
The heatsink in the ODU board doesn't do a good job of dissipating the heat. Sometimes, the components deteriorate because of the high temps over time. He might need to replace the ODU board (around 5-8K). This could happen with any AC over time.

Reactions: blr_p and faustine

faustine

Recruit
Sep 23, 2023
Is this something that recently happened. Since when has this started. Presumably everything was fine upto last year. You got 6 years trouble free operation and only this summer things are not working?

Can I assume the outdoor unit is already kept in a shaded area?
sorry for the late reply. But yes on both counts.

faustine

Recruit
Sep 23, 2023
The heatsink in the ODU board doesn't do a good job of dissipating the heat. Sometimes, the components deteriorate because of the high temps over time. He might need to replace the ODU board (around 5-8K). This could happen with any AC over time.
so having outdoor unit under relative shade could prevent this issue? and should i take any other precautions other than cleaning dust off the unit?