A mighty event at work - UPDATED!

Gannu

Unbanned
ex-Mod
Today is a big day for me here at work so couldn't resist sharing it here! :D

The third ship built by our yard is being launched into the waters after the completion of her outer hull work. She looks magnificent! :p

She is being side-launched. There are several ways of launching a ship into the waters, this being one of them. She will be christened (as Happy Sky) by her owner's MD by breaking a coconut at the bow of the vessel.

The owner of the ship Biglift, a Dutch based company owns a fleet of about 14 vessels since the early '80s.

Some snaps which I took sometime back:

dsc02270.jpg

dsc023vmv.jpg

dsc023wcw.jpg

dsc02274.jpg

PS: She is the most complex vessel ever built by any yard in the country (not counting India's first indigenous Aircraft Carrier being built at the Cochin Shipyard because it has not been launched yet :p) and the most heavy in its class to be side-launched in the world! That's a huge leap for us! :)

Re: A mighty event at work!

champagne too costly or what? breaking coconuts!!
seen lot of shows on discovery hd on ship building. Is this is a dry dock which you guys will flood with water and then tow the ship out right? must be fun and dangerous working there.
That hole in bottom part is for another rudder for stabilization of ship?

Seems like a cargo vessel - the ones that carry those containers. And aren't the merchant vessels named as MV something? ex MV Happy Sky?

whats the tonnage? the marking of 8M for submerged side seems huge.

Last I heard owners demanded champagne bottles but since we Indians generally prefer coconuts, we chose to open the coconut, drain the water and pour champagne into it and seal it! :ashamed:

This was a rumor spreading in the wild. Not sure if it is true. Only the guy who breaks it will know if he can taste it after breaking it. :lol:

A ship can be launched using a dry-dock as well. In our case, we had the scarcity of land for building a dry dock so we chose this way. In dry dock, a ship is built inside the dock and then at the time of launch, it is filled with water and a tug boat pulls the ship out of the dry dock into the waters. The flood gates are later closed and the water inside the dry dock is pumped out. :)

In this case, the ship is being held on slip ways using hydraulic jacks. At the press of a button, the jacks release the ship into the slide-ways which is filled with grease between 2 plates of Teflon so it nicely slips into the water.

That hole in the last snap you mean? That is a bow thruster. In layman's terms, it is a small propeller which propels the ship sideways/transverse direction, when it comes to a berth/jetty so we need not use tug boats to push the ship. Read more here - Bow thruster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She can not only carry containers but any cargo you want - be it cars, reels of wire, another small boat, including Uranium ore! :D

And yes she is indeed MV Happy Sky! :)

Thanks. I found a youtube link for side launched ship. first time i'm seeing such a thing. Wonder how big splash this ship will make. :O

^hehe yeah and tell you what the ship can even capsize if the particulars go wrong. :p

Oh and I forgot to mention about the l33tness of the 2 cranes she will be having. Our yard doesn't have the capacity to install them! :lol:

So she will sail to China after the completion of work here and then get the cranes installed.

2 cranes of 800T capacity each. :)

800T each crane? Wonder what they'll lift with that capacity. One crane could easily lift a couple of diesel locomotives i think.

:O Is that made of brass?

And whats with the various colours of hard hats? I remember they stand for engineers, management, riggers, etc. Dont know which one stands for which though.

Really nice Gunmaster. :)

What part did you play in the design of this ship...?

Amazing...!! The next time there is a ship launch, let's have a meet. I would love to witness such an event..!

i'd sure love to see a ship being launched.

Forgot to say Congrats!! :D

I hope Gannu puts up a video here.

Wow why dont you try using that for cooling your rig and see what happens ? :eek:hyeah:

Yeah any reason you didn't post this in public ? Its really kickass

Just completed it wOOOOOOOOOOOOt! :yahoo:
dsc023mrm.jpg

dsc024162.jpg

dsc02417.jpg

dsc024yuy.jpg

dsc024exe.jpg

dsc024fcf.jpg

PS: The guy to the right is me. The one to the next is my junior counterpart.

logistopath:You guys are more than welcome to the yard. In fact, the invitation mail had specifically mentioned to call relatives and friends for the event! :)

6pack: thanks a bunch dude! The prop. is made of CuNiAl - an alloy of Bronze, Nickel and Aluminium. Will put up a video soon.

asingh: I work for the design department. So designing foundations for several machinery, drawings for propulsion system, HVAC and accommodation system.

wow nice, why didnt you hang a TE banner as well [noparse];))[/noparse]

Hehe next time I'll do that. :lol:

Mebbe next year. Another ship is in construction as we speak. :p

6pack said:
And whats with the various colours of hard hats? I remember they stand for engineers, management, riggers, etc. Dont know which one stands for which though.

White - Production and design engineers

Blue - Quality Control

Yellow - Contract workmen

Cant understand who is junior. The guy holding a mobile is you? Or is he your junior?

Those rails are huge. Where did that huge yellow pile of steel on which the ship was resting disappear? Did it get submerged?

Back