OC & Modding (Case Mod) HTPC 7.1 AMP

rakesh_sharma23

Do It Yourself
Adept
Hello to all,
I am back with another Case mod.

This case mod will be different from all the case mods out there.

As you all know I am having a Corsair 300R case and a self-made 7.1 Audio amplifier since they both acquire quit a large space in my room. So now I am ordered (from whom…? You all married person know very well ;) ) to throw one of the above out of the room.
So an idea came in my mind why not combine both in one case.

skwh.jpg

Now I am building a HTPC with 7.1 (@ 100w per channel) amplifier.
Selected Cooler Master HAF XB Case for this build. And so naming this build as HTPC-7.1 AMP.

I have planned to use the bottom section of HAF case as Amplifier section.
Will be removing all un-necessary items and components from the case as well as Amp and PC parts.

For this I will be re-designing and building all amp PCBs, getting smaller and more efficient heatsinks.
From PC will be replacing 5.25 optical drive with a Laptop slim optical drive. In order to do so first I have to make a Slimline Sata connector.
Hunted down a faulty laptop motherboard with slim Sata connector.

jyvp.jpg

De-soldering the connector using hot gun. Covered the connector with alu-foil to protect him for heat.

q0m6.jpg

Done.

h2fn.jpg

2ubf.jpg

Now time to cut a black sata cable, and solder it to the connector.

urx3.jpg

rlf3.jpg

Now added cable for power.

ntoh.jpg

Perfect fit.

gp17.jpg

h1nl.jpg

Added a molex connector to power the drive.

81uu.jpg

Now used some M-seal to shape the connector, let it solidify. Now filled it to final shape. Later will be colouring it black.
ALL done looks perfect works fine too.

jv84.jpg

8zkp.jpg

rgqx.jpg

u19q.jpg

58at.jpg

7wes.jpg

Finally the case is on its way, will be getting it in 2-3 days.
Thanks for watching, hope you all like it.
Will update more soon

Rakesh Sharma

Last edited:
I will be looking closely and learning. I have a custom build planned out for later this year. Need to get the components first.

Looking good already. I think tis time you should look at sleeving. There is local sleeve also available which is not very expensive, only thing it frays a bit, so the ends need to be done properly.

Trust me, the project will look far more professional. The one thing that I always missed in all your acse mods was cable management and wiring, which unluckily I am quite crazy about. This one extra step can give the whole mod a whole different look. I know what you are capable of so dont short change yourself. other than this one point, your mods really leave me flabbergasted. They are awesome on a different level altogether.

Sorry for being a bit blunt, but I guess after all these years you will understand why I am saying what I am saying.

Small bad news some problem with local dealer and CM distributor . cabinet is not available.. have to wait more for cabinet or have to change some plan.

Will not be using any CM Case or Product in this build or better never:mad::mad:
Changed the case name to HTPC-7.1 Amp.
Want some suggestion for alternative case or idea.
Till then have a look at some more cable sleevings..
ij97.jpg

gtpe.jpg

Thanks

Namaskar Sanket Ji,

Thanks for showing your interest in this Project.
I have emailed you what happened and why i dropped HAF XB build idea.

Regards
Rakesh Sharma.[DOUBLEPOST=1375688450][/DOUBLEPOST]I am unable to find any substitute cabinet...:(

Last edited:
Since unable to find any alternative case.. and money stuck with dealer.. Have to go for HAF XB case.

Dealer agreed to deliver the case till this Tuesday or will return me double the money... Offer that cant be said NO.

So final wait till Tuesday.

I am installing power connector IN & Out for amp and Sub-woofer.. Dont want to run amplifier on ups.. Having just 1kv ups and amp alone will be around 700 watts and another 450 watts for sub-woofer.
Since i am using Amplifier with PC only.. So both internal amp and the sub-woofer will automatically turn on or off with respect of PC as well as with manual switch too.

Back